Dyno'ed the R33 GTR - Dyno Sheet, Pictures & Videos Inside

Combine titanium piping with Blitz Nur Spec. You should get a nice melody :P

How? Just use the Blitz muffler? The whole system is stainless steel already?

Anyway, how true is it that titanium emits a higher pitch sound? At low revs or at high revs or what? I used a Blitz Nur Spec like 10 years ago but it was catback only - glad they still make it :)

Wah Loki.. Ur build thread has made it into the front page of ZtH.. Now jadi superstar liow.. :driver:

Wah Loki.. Ur build thread has made it into the front page of ZtH.. Now jadi superstar liow.. :driver:

Eh? No lah. Tom just wanted me to keep updating this thread as it is car / mod related and would be of interest to ZTH members.

it be nice if i get spare parts for free, i think my Z project is gonna keep my occupied and nuts for a while, hope to see ur rb project in good nick!

Damn awesome.... Tomei @.@ How much this whole rebuild costs?

seven?? You mean 5 figures, then there is a decimal point, the another 2 figures?

seven?? You mean 5 figures, then there is a decimal point, the another 2 figures?

Sorry guys, I meant 6 figures. Was rushing earlier and hit the reply button without a second thought.

I bought the R33 GT-R six months ago knowing that I had to do a rebuild. So you have to factor in the cost of the project vehicle into the rebuild.

That's normally the case with older GT-Rs, as even a compression test is not a safe indication as to the health of the car's engine. The only way to find out for sure is to run the engine into the ground, which might pose a danger to the driver (and to the vehicle), or you can carry out a full rebuild.

Last edited:
I think he meant the cost of rebuilding the engine? Not the total cost including the car?

http://whatadrive.blogspot.com/2011/05/spare-engine-rebuild-update-tomei_12.html

Spare Engine Rebuild Update: Tomei Poncams

12 May 2011: The rebuild is going well and I've sent in my Tomei camshafts + Pulleys and a N1 Water Pump in for the final stage of the project. Looking forward to how the cams perform as not only will they improve response and overall performance but the poncams will also have a positive affect on the R33 GTR's exhaust sound.

And why Tomei? Tomei Poncam camshafts are designed as a "drop in application", so no dialling in required as the nock-pin has been pre-set. The Poncams are also designed to work with the standard valve springs and offer the best drop in performance gain for both street and track use.

Tomei Pon Camshafts + Pulley Set: Nissan BNR32/BCNR33 RB26DETT Duration IN 260, EX 252, Lift 9.15 (Pon Cam + Cam Pulley IN & EX) 143036 A Type + 153027 Cam Pulley.

Excerpt from nengun.com about the Tomei Poncams:

Tomei presents the popular poncams. Generally, engine tuning is to modify the torque characteristic of engine by changing cam duration timing and height of the cam lift, so as to gaining maximum torque and horse power. However, when tuning the engine strictly, it should be carried out with the idea of securing effective area of the valve not only by duration timing and height of the cam lift, but also by through improvement of its intake efficiency. High valve lift allows huge amount of air to flow in, yet it mechanically damages the system and gains friction loss. Also, wide cam duration will deriver great power at high RPM, but it gives rough engine character at low RPM too. Tomei have worked to get an ideal well-balanced profile of camshaft and succeeded to give it 1.3 to 1.5 times more effective area than regular camshafts.

IMG-20110512-00463.jpg

IMG-20110512-00465.jpg

Last edited:
my stock bnr34 has about 350hp on wheel but only 38 torque, running at 1.0 bar max. Is the torque figure too low? How can I increase the torque figure without have to modify the engine and turbo, perhaps the exhaust? Any sifu please enlighten me... Tq

my stock bnr34 has about 350hp on wheel but only 38 torque, running at 1.0 bar max. Is the torque figure too low? How can I increase the torque figure without have to modify the engine and turbo, perhaps the exhaust? Any sifu please enlighten me... Tq

The only way to really get torque gain is via camshafts and adjustable cam gears. Unfortunately, that means modifying the engine. You get a power gain by changing the exhaust, due to better flow, but no gains in torque.

Below is a dyno graph featuring a Nissan RB26, complete with aftermarket exhaust, ECU tune, and 1 bar (14.7 PSI) of boost pressure. The red line represents mods. The blue line represents those mods plus the adjustable cam gears.

4957007_f520.jpg

The owner of this engine is a member on Skylines Australia, and he claimed that the cams required five adjustments to obtain the power increase that you see here. Impressive large gain in power, but what really jumps at you is the mid range torque improvement.

Last edited:
thanks loki, but any other alternatives than to modify the engine? i prefer to keep my car stock, at least for now. anyway, does low torque mean the engine is less responsive when the turbos are not boosting?

thanks loki, but any other alternatives than to modify the engine? i prefer to keep my car stock, at least for now. anyway, does low torque mean the engine is less responsive when the turbos are not boosting?

Yes, off boost response is when you have more torque. In fact, would also help the turbos to spool faster and earlier than standard. If you want more torque yet want to keep the car stock, well I'm sure you know the answer to that.

But GTRs aren't the best or most responsive cars especially when moving off in 1st gear from standstill. And at low revs, there isn't much to shout about so I understand what it is you're trying to improve but you need to be willing to have some modifications at least.

What kind of clutch and flywheel you use? Lighten flywheel do improve the engine response but
less torque on mid-high rev. Gaining torque without mod....hmm setting low tires pressure, use grip tires, light wheel and medium size tires (over 265 is too wide & heavy) so that you can put all the power to ground and get the torque.

Perhaps during dyno your car not getting a good grip hence it showing only 38kg/m...<---on 4WD?

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom