different of Supercharger and turbo???

Lambert

Known Member
can any 1 tell me what is the different of these 2 stuff???
those thing are suitable for what type of car.

why can't these noobs just use the search button or at least go do a little bit of research

after researching and u dun understand a few things, then only come and ask larr

most of them think ZTH=google=howstuffworks...
come on ppl..stop wasting time..and just search..

To put it in layman's term, supercharger and turbocharger are both forced induction whereby air is forced into the induction system. I hope you know what NA(Normally Aspirated) is.

Supercharger gives a very instantaneous power because its rotors are linked to the engine crankshaft. At low RPM, as long as you depress your throttle pedal, the supercharger's rotor will be spinning and will suck in air to be fed into the the induction system. I think Estima's are equipped with superchargers and everytime you hear a whining sound coming out from Estima's, its not that the car is spoilt but its what you call the supercharger whine. The good point about supercharger is that its got good boost at low RPM. Disadvantage is that there is some kinda 'drag' losses because the supercharger is connected directly to the crankshaft and its taking up some power from it.

Turbocharger is a bit more complicated. What you have is two connected turbine spinning reciprocally. It simple means one is spinning left, the other is spinning right. Say the 1st turbine is spinning clockwise, this happens when exhaust gasses from combustion are 'recycled' and fed into the inlet of the 1st turbine, which results in it spinning. Reciprocally, the 2nd turbine will spin anti clockwise and when this happens, it will suck in air from atmosphere, compress it and feed it into the induction system. Of coz it isn't as easy as it sounds. I don't wanna get into detail into those wastegate, blow off valve, intercooler, compressed air, boost and so on. Likewise, turbochargers have disadvantage and you find that the boost comes in strong at about 3000 to 3500 rpm onwards. There's what you call a turbo lag at low rpm's simply because its gaining momentum from the spinning fins inside the turbine. And then between gearshifts, there's excessive boost inside the turbine and to prevent it from damaging the fins, you have what you call the wastegate whereby it'll release excess boost. That gives you the very famous 'phissss' sound when you hear turbo cars changing gears. The advantage of turbo, i think no need to say la. Its fast and accelerates pretty quick all the way till redline.

Hope this helps, though its actually a very simple explanation thats all. Ask the other sifu here.

DarkAccoon said:
why can't these noobs just use the search button or at least go do a little bit of research

after researching and u dun understand a few things, then only come and ask larr
Exactly.

Here's an advice to noobs, we're fine with people asking questions, just fucking bring something to the table. Don't come empty handed and expect to be told everything. Do some research, give some thought, and only when you can't figure something out then ask. Prove that you've got something to contribute to the discussion and you're not just a fucking leech. You all know what's a leech? Its that blood sucking worm like creature. It just sucks your blood and when its done, it leaves you with a gaping bleeding wound.

si|verfish said:
Exactly.

Here's an advice to noobs, we're fine with people asking questions, just fucking bring something to the table. Don't come empty handed and expect to be told everything. Do some research, give some thought, and only when you can't figure something out then ask. Prove that you've got something to contribute to the discussion and you're not just a fucking leech. You all know what's a leech? Its that blood sucking worm like creature. It just sucks your blood and when its done, it leaves you with a gaping bleeding wound.

haha witty sarcasm , i can deal with that.

si|verfish said:
Exactly.

sounds very malaysian. (stories of little emperors & all, hmm i digress)

"the story of a malaysian noob" by KNN Leech
:_:

si|verfish said:
Exactly.

there are something i disagree with u and darkaccoon,
nowadays, the website is too much liao, and surely many rubbish site on the net, there is not easy to find a good n real website by searching with searching tool. i m askin question here because i believe the expert here know those thing well, so i ask here and can get staight answer here.
some more i asking here, people who dont know they also can learn here, if i search myself, then onli myself know about there knowledge. while we living on this earth, we must help each others, dont be so selfish.
this is a non-comissional website, i get many post i also will not getting 1 cent from the website. u both totally posed 4000 posts, i dont believe all 4000 post dont have some rubbish post.

P/S
u are senior, i respect ur comment, if i said anything wrong, just tell me, i will ry my best not to do i again....

lambert, wat they meant was find something out there first then only cum in for a discussion... u cant blame us for being so sarcastic at times cos there are basically too many ppl coming in and ask all of these things. i understand that internet nowdays has many rubbish, but dont forget u also have common sense on what goes to your brain on the things that u are finding that may flicker your senses to say "OH YES THIS IS IT, I GO POST IN ZTH AND ASK" get wat i meant?

Lambert said:
there are something i disagree with u and darkaccoon,
nowadays, the website is too much liao, and surely many rubbish site on the net, there is not easy to find a good n real website by searching with searching tool. i m askin question here because i believe the expert here know those thing well, so i ask here and can get staight answer here.
some more i asking here, people who dont know they also can learn here, if i search myself, then onli myself know about there knowledge. while we living on this earth, we must help each others, dont be so selfish.
this is a non-comissional website, i get many post i also will not getting 1 cent from the website. u both totally posed 4000 posts, i dont believe all 4000 post dont have some rubbish post.

P/S
u are senior, i respect ur comment, if i said anything wrong, just tell me, i will ry my best not to do i again....

i think you may have mistread slightly into si|verfish comments. I suppose your earlier/original question may have left a unintended biasness towards you. but dont worry.

a little more elaboration in your question
"sorry noob here; i know there may have been countless questions about SC vs turbo & its applications but i have search & have not found an answer i can understand (in lay man terms) .

why some people choose SC over turbo & vice versa & what would be the best option for my vehicle? would a small cc car be better of with turbo or SC ?

command of my english language could be a little limited; please mind my ignorance, thanks

fstrader,
i know what u r meaning. if next time i go research, got web say this good and another web said another thing is better, then can post here for comment right???
ok understood.

BUT attatch with some personally comment only,
Some nice ppl like PRODIGY who wish to teach people is needed, and for some people who do not wish to teach, just click "BACK" and ignore those rubbish post like THIS POST. And dont simply say ppl is noob, onli can say noob in XXX (XXX= the field. for example, this post, should say noob in turbo n supercharger). cause you dunno who is posting it, maybe a proffesor of other field is posting the post............ but me not proffesor lah.....hahaha
and advice shoulld be given softly before u scolding ppl. but this seem like is the right of the admistrator.........
if got anything wrong, just tell me lah, dun blame me...... wakakaka, i m new

Last edited:
ehehe, sorry for calling u noob
but my point is, this subject has been discuss numerous time on this website alone

so sometimes it is kinda frusfrating to see the same questions
at least u are asking a sensible but asked before questions

there are those who comes in, asked
Vtec can beat Turbo arrrrr???

that boils everyone i bet
=P

Top Bottom