coilovers questions

wfd9766acik

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Helo all,

I need to get a set of theese but not sure what is an ideal specs. running a Satria MIVEC for daily use n always drive hard. No track/ drag/ drift.

1) Ideal spring rates Fr n Rr? :dontknow:
2) Do I need the pillow balls also? :dontknow:
3) Most important, for the Japan made how do I know it's a genuine item. i.e: tein, hks, gab. This worries me alot. :dontknow:

Expert, advise please. Tq.

Cheers.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
u could just GAB SS with the pre-packaged spring rates...

should be decent enough for daily drive.... plus its soft hard adjustable.

but of course.. diff bontot got diff feel wan...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
malaysian adjustable also good....

HWL,TITAN,RCS....just up to your budget....

for daily ride satria then 6k front with 4k rear is good enough already....not too hard not too soft....

comfort for daily use yet capable for weekend spirited drive :adore:

wfd9766acik

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Tq mr pomen gtr & mr madman,

did some checking around danau kota. went to several shops which looks convincing. but got me more confusing..

a shop offer me pre-package hwl Fr6 Rr4. he told me he has been 15 yrs in coilover business n there's no Fr 7 or 9, Rr 5 or 7. all springs nombol genap only :confused:. extra cost shall charge if want to have my desired spring rates. is it so - spring rates nobol genap only? n is it a standard practise to charge extra cost if customer wish other than pre-package spring rates?

another shop said (gab coilovers), i can have any spring rates s i wish (no extra cost) n recommended me Fr8 Rr6 for my needs - daily drive n always drive hard but NO track NO drag NO drift. wouldn't Fr8 Rr6 is to hard for me?

i was thinking to get 7-5 if 8-6 is to hard n 6-4 is to soft.. :confused:

can anybody recommend me a shop?

experts? guys? appreciate it

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What car are you driving? I used to use 8fr 5rr and that was bumpy like heck. Slow speed 60km/h on a straight tar road and you could literally see my bumping up and down. I've also tried a 10k fr and 6k rr and the car had so much rattling it was crazy. But both setup corner very shiok la.

Personally though, 6-4 is more than enough. Any more than that and it becomes uncomfortable for old bones like mine. 5-3.5 is also quite comfy. But best comfort is stock la.

Btw, these were all tested on a Wira Aeroback with no loading.

And charging extra just to change spring is ridiculous. Honestly - tahan with your existing setup now and drive down KL to have it changed. It's probably cheaper too if you go straight to the HWL factory

wfd9766acik

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
What car are you driving? I used to use 8fr 5rr and that was bumpy like heck. Slow speed 60km/h on a straight tar road and you could literally see my bumping up and down. I've also tried a 10k fr and 6k rr and the car had so much rattling it was crazy. But both setup corner very shiok la.

Personally though, 6-4 is more than enough. Any more than that and it becomes uncomfortable for old bones like mine. 5-3.5 is also quite comfy. But best comfort is stock la.

Btw, these were all tested on a Wira Aeroback with no loading.

And charging extra just to change spring is ridiculous. Honestly - tahan with your existing setup now and drive down KL to have it changed. It's probably cheaper too if you go straight to the HWL factory
hi izso,

currently i'm running satria with mivec 1.6 engine. thanx 4 sharing bohh. this hwl, do they sell coilovers to walk-in customers? retail price or harga kilang?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I heard it's cheaper than retail and they do entertain walk-in. I haven't used HWL before so you'll have to wait for the taikors to come in to give comments.

Personally I think 6-4 on a Satria might be too bouncy. The Aeroback is heavier at the back so loading on the 4k spring is already there to give it a little more comfort. Satria might be too light.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
i had a friend with the HWL on his satria before.. he complained that its bouncy as hell coz the rear is too soft. but this was like 8-10 years ago la...

imho, there should only be a diff of 2kgmm between the front and the rear...at least thats how most of the setup ive seen...

i dunno wat my tein spring rates are now... but i would love a set of GAB SS with 12/10 springs for my EG6 heh heh heh

wherever ur location is....can just go to the nearest kakimotor.. they sell both GAB and HWL and also KYB and IMP as well.. reputable seller...if anything can send back to them for warranty oso. u can talk to them for more info on wat u need....they should be able to explain to u the differences in brands and advantages etc etc.....and also especially about the spring rate charges

wfd9766acik

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I heard it's cheaper than retail and they do entertain walk-in. I haven't used HWL before so you'll have to wait for the taikors to come in to give comments.

Personally I think 6-4 on a Satria might be too bouncy. The Aeroback is heavier at the back so loading on the 4k spring is already there to give it a little more comfort. Satria might be too light.
hi izso,

i did call them n yes it's not much diff if walk-in buy.

oso considering other opt... for any brand in the market, what is actually the diff in term of spec & tech (primarily) between semi & fully adjustable? diff shop/ technichian(?) telling me diff thing. more confused :confused::confused::confused:

any suspention experts care to share? sure it helps alot

cheers

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
bro, u can try titan or go with the better option which is rcs.....

both will custom the coilovers for you depending on your liking (bound/rebound/height/spring rate/etc)..... and best of all, u can still change the spring rating within stipulated period (1-2 months)..... bear in mind we are talking at least rm4k here.....

achelone

Known Member
Jun 3, 2009
i'm no experts...but different brand have different internal design of their shock absorber....thus gives different feel to the driver. you want comfort but don't mind the price...u can't go wrong with TITAN..... otherwise HWL and GAB is still viable for budget and still robust compared to any other coilover available in the market

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
hi izso,

i did call them n yes it's not much diff if walk-in buy.

oso considering other opt... for any brand in the market, what is actually the diff in term of spec & tech (primarily) between semi & fully adjustable? diff shop/ technichian(?) telling me diff thing. more confused :confused::confused::confused:

any suspention experts care to share? sure it helps alot

cheers
Hi/lo/soft/hard just refers to what the suspension can do. Hi/lo is height adjustment, soft/hard is how you want the damper to react, either comfort (to some extent) or rock hard.

Then there's body shift. Hi/Lo most of the time (the basic ones) compress the spring when you shorten it to lower the car. Body shift allows the height adjustment without compressing the spring. Some say compressing the spring affects the way it handles, some say not. I've never used so can't say much.

I have to agree with RCS though. They custom make your setup to your liking and it comes with a bumpsteer kit! That's rare!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How to stick boost gauge on dashboard? i'm using double sided tape but due to heat and stress from the pull of the hose, it fell off. any idea what to use?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience