claying

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I have two questions. I love the after effects of claying especially when combined with optiseal.

Can you overclay a car? I spray ONR on the surface and clay it. The question is the frequency: I clay my car each time I wash it. Will I thin the paint?

I also clay the glass and this I believe can be done safely since glass is a much harder material. The results of claying glass is simply amazing.

Second question: I also apply Opti Seal on the car. Will claying remove it prematurely?

Thanks, sifus.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Not sure bout claying on optiseal, but claying does not remove any paint. It sticks the impurities, dust and dirts to it so you will get a smooth surface. But if ur clay is dirty or not enough lube, the dirt on the clay might scratch the car. My personal opinion - wax ur car every time u wash is better than you clay it. If clay+wax it would be best but god damn tiring.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
I have two questions. I love the after effects of claying especially when combined with optiseal.

Can you overclay a car? I spray ONR on the surface and clay it. The question is the frequency: I clay my car each time I wash it. Will I thin the paint?

I also clay the glass and this I believe can be done safely since glass is a much harder material. The results of claying glass is simply amazing.

Second question: I also apply Opti Seal on the car. Will claying remove it prematurely?

Thanks, sifus.
If you wanna clay using optiseal as your clay lub you probably need to buy few carton as its NOT CHEAP NOR NOT in BIG quantity - only 8oz (236ml)

Basically you can use ONR or want cheaper - use CLEAN car shampoo as your clay club. Upon dry up you only seal it with Opti Seal.

Claying will SLOWLY remove your surface protection - depend how agressive if your clay bar too.

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i use ONR as the clay lubricant - not optiseal. sorry for the confusion. what i mean is the surface has already been sealed with optiseal. i wash the car clean then before i dry it i spray ONR on it as the lube and use the clay.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

so you're saying it will remove surface protection. can you clarify what surface protection means? clear coat? or something that is temporary like wax, optiseal, etc. ?

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
[/COLOR]so you're saying it will remove surface protection. can you clarify what surface protection means? clear coat? or something that is temporary like wax, optiseal, etc. ?
Clay will remove surface contamination (e.g TAR, Dirt Film) and your wax, sealant all will be slowly degraded but good thing about clay is it also allow them to bond longer....

If you want something last very long - only thin is COATING as clay wil not remove them

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Clay works in 2 ways. It sticks the contaminants and also abrades it aways. However, unlike polishes, the abrasion is so minimal that it is negligible in removing paint. It has only the strength to abrade the foreign materials on the paint. Also there are few strengths of clay. If you go for the mild one, probably it works by sticking contaminants only and no abrasions at all. The aggressive slay may a smal amounts of abrasive.

So will it degrade opti seal? i would say it is very subjective. How strong are you pressing? How many passes? How old is the layer of optiseal that you apply? If it is around 3 months, just go ahead and clay the heck because the opti seal is probably gone by then.

For me, everytime after I clay I will seal again. No need to think and guess whether still there or not. Since it is not expensive to seal the car.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Since we're on the topic of claying - I wanna ask about using ONR as lube. I noticed that ONR will streak if it's left to dry on its on and according to the instructions it's best to wipe it dry as soon as possible. Does this mean then the process would be clay + ONR lube then dry?

Also what is your ONR mix proportions? 1 part to 3 parts water?

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Claying alone should not be thin-ing your clear coat.
When claying, the clay is suppose to be gliding on top of your clear coat with ample of lubrication. However once there is gritty contaminant sticking to your clay bar, that is when it starts to damage/mar your paint.

From my observation of using PG Clay 3 and 2 (the white one and the blueish one), The blueish one does not mar the paint but the white one (Clay no.3) will mar if not taken care of properly during usage.

By proper care, I mean the following:
- ensure enough lubrication on the surface and clay
- check on the clay after every 1 X 1 feet clayed.
- Remove any gritty contaminant if found.

The above are among the precaution i take when using clay no.3.

Izso,
I use ONR as lubricant. I mix it around 3 caps for 750ml. After claying one panel, I usually run it thru with water and move on to another panel. Once all panels are done, I give it a wash again.

Yes, ONR will streak if left to dry. But the streaking can easily be washed off.

Droll,
There is no such thing as over claying but there is something call over-rajin/ over-caring/ over-semangat.
Depending on your location and frequency of wash, claying can be done on a monthly or half-yearly basis.

You only need to clay when you feel that the surface is no longer smooth and gritty to the touch.

Having a smooth surface = longer durability of spray on wax *not to mention the ultra smooth feel it gives*.

So like what bro cvkit suggests, its better to wax after every wash.... or after every two three washes instead of claying.

My own car, 2 years old and have done the below:
- Clayed once
- Washed every week, at most also wash every two weeks when I am really too busy or tired.
- Waxed only when necessarily (bout once every 2 months or so)
- Sealed once every 6 months or so.

I apply the sealant more frequently on the windscreen as compare to my car paint.

Hope this helps you. And I would like to say again.... clay after every wash.... damn man, you are dedicated.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I gotta say man, claying is one of the most tiring job to do. Spray, glide left right left right until smooth, the rinse, then repeat, the fold the clay, then repeat repeat and repeat. Took me an hour to finish it on a myvi lol.

Droll, you clay your whole car after every wash or parts of it only? If whole car...man u've gotta participate in those marathon or iron man contest.

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hmmmmmmm thanks for all the feedback. if i may summarise

1. clear coat is not removed by claying unless it is aggressive clay.
2. there are different types of clay (abrasive ones vs not so abrasive ones).
3. any form of sealant applied to the surface of the car could be slowly removed by claying but clear coat + paint won't be removed
4. #3 is not true if there is dirt on the clay or you are applying not enough lube (or too much pressure when claying).

my claying method is simple. after wash, before dry, spray on lots of diluted ONR (1 cap + about 500ml water). i never press the clay onto the surface of the car. i simply let it glide across the surface. the pressure that i apply is always to glide the clay across the surface only and never onto the surface.

also, i clay all windows + windscreen of the car every wash. the results are simply amazing (the way water beads off after that - looks almost as good as having a coating of optiseal on it).

i also clay and wash each panel before moving on. if the panel is too big (such as the bonnet), i will clay half and wash off before i clay the other half.

i normally swipe the clay 4-5 times and have a look at the surface before repeating. this is what i do for surfaces that usually get dirty very quickly. i'm paranoid about catching some large grit dirt on the clay and scratching the paint! for less dirty surfaces, i allow the bar to glide about twice as long.

i am also using the blue PG clay bar. i don't clay my whole car. i usually do the front parts and the parts where dirt can stick more easily such as near the lower sections of the wheel arch (my car doesn't have mud flaps so dirt tends to get splashed easily on the car body), bonnet, front bumper, and all glass surfaces. every 2-3 washes i then stop claying those parts and instead clay the other panels (doors, rear boot lid, rear bumper). once every 4-5 washes i do the roof. cannot tahan lah if clay the whole car every wash! but then again, claying more frequently also means the car is usually cleaner so the effort for each claying session is less (vs if you don't clay for a long time).

thanks for all the tips guys. i think i can rest easy now knowing the blue claybar i am using and my current practices won't cause any serious marring.

however, i think i will take advice from the sifus here. i will do wash + wax. it's just that i cannot tahan knowing the water coming out of my tap has rust in it and is dirty (you know lah - public water supply). so when i wash the car, there's this paranoid feeling that dirt is left on the surface and the wax won't stick as well. :)

Last edited:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Does your clay pick up a lot of contamination?

Cause by claying, you should not get the water beading. Your water beading is coming from the ONR itself.

If your clay does not pick up lots of contamination, here is my suggestion:

- Wash your car.
- Spray a layer of ONR on the surface.
- Wipe dry

Should give you the water beading effect as well. This is because ONR has these micro polymer thingy that bonds to your surface and beads water. The beading will be gone after one wash. Suggest you to use spray wax for even better beading and longer durability.

Just a suggestion.

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
good idea. let me try that experiment.

as for glass, after a wash i see water streaking down in some areas with "fixed paths" - which indicates there is dirt on the glass. after claying, water sheets off. could this also be because of ONR and not the clay?

my clay bar doesn't pick up much dirt since i clay so often. of course during the first claying session, it was black as the night!!!!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
hrrmmm....you sound as if claying would make the paint glossy/shiny.....

droll

Known Member
Aug 29, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
i think my approach is wrong. let me try that experiment above first. i think bro Dark Accoon is right - it could be due to the ONR and not the clay.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all bro out there. i'm using perdana with rvr engine. can u all tell me the differences between this 2 engine and how to mods rvr so it can be powerfull like evo.

---------- Post added 04-16-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 04-15-2010 at 11:57 PM ----------

bumpp....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience