Best method of Seasoning New Car

NightHunter

Known Member
I just bought a brand new Proton Wira Aeroback SE 1.5 M/T..

I like to find out what is the best way to season a brand new engine.. Any Sifu know?? :)

Let me use your car for 3 weeks, i'll guarantee your car will feel very much run in and 'seasoned'.

ok, was just kidding. for the first 5000KM, avoid high revving your car. change gear at 3000 to 3500RPM. do not even attempt to engine brake your car. do your interval service punctual. thats all about it. the main point is not to speed/high rev your engine. however, let me warn you that my office is nearby EON HQ and i must say the despatch guys who park the brand new cars in a warehouse are....lets just say 'seasoned drivers' who know the limit of the cars very well.

strangely the reverse is told from the racing bikers from overseas.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Warning:  This is a very controversial topic !!

I wrote "Break-In Secrets" after successfully applying this method to approximately 300 new engines, all without any problems whatsoever.

Links to this article now appear on hundreds of motorsports discussion forums from all over the world. The reason is that over time, large numbers of people have done a direct comparison between my method and the owner's manual method, and the news of their success is spreading rapidly. 

The results are always the same... a dramatic increase in power at all RPMs. In addition, many professional mechanics have disassembled engines that have used this method, to find that the condition of the engine is much better than when the owner's manual break-in method has been used.

The thing that makes this page so controversial is that there have been many other break-in articles written in the past which will contradict what has been written here.

Several factors make the older information on break-in obsolete.

The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because as you're about to learn, the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines. 

In addition, there is a lot less heat build up in the cylinders from ring friction 
due to the finer honing pattern used in modern engines.

The other factors that have changed are the vastly improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used. This means that the "wearing in" of the new parts involves significantly less friction and actual wear than it did in the distant past.

What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ?? 
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !

Why ??
Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ... 
How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of  PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ?? Of course it can't. 

very controversial topic!

But it would be interesting to hear our ZTH boys take on this. This topic was disscuss in many forums before (i wont disclose the results yet)

could be true. i'm not disagreeing with the fact that running the engine hard would make run in better. similarly my fren was telling me how hard he whacked his brand new wira 1.5 auto on the highway after using the car for 2 weeks. apparently he found nothing wrong with the engine after doing 150kmh on the first highway run. the car is running fine now too.

however one thing i wonder is what car they used during the run in period? i can understand his points of argument when we're talking about bimmers, fords, benz, jaguars, audi. but our friend here is driving his brand new wira which i'm sure we all know what are they famous for.

Originally posted by koolspyda@Mar 25 2005, 21:17
very controversial topic!

But it would be interesting to hear our ZTH boys take on this. This topic was disscuss in many forums before (i wont disclose the results yet)
[snapback]841079[/snapback]​

yup :lol:
I've pm-ed one guy in this forum enquiring his views about this matter.

Whoever is interested can pm me and I'll foward his msg to you. ;)

this is a very controversal topic.
some ppl will tell u not to push the engine and stuff.
and some will tell u to run it hard.

personally i believe in pushing it a little. hard acceleration but dont rev it high.

then change ur oil to get rid of all the bits.

during my motorcycle days, we were told by the mechanics after overhauling the engine, do not rev it hard, but the opposite is adviced by a student mechanic.

and the result was, well....mmmm the latter had a better top speed than the first.

with cars I dunno, my first car is a second hand....

:)

go up genting...I helped "season" my friends car there :P :ph34r:

just ram the accelerator kao kao lar...thats wat enigines are made for mar, to last...if not last then better opt for electric hybrid cars lor :D

Originally posted by fstrader@Mar 26 2005, 12:44
just ram the accelerator kao kao lar...thats wat enigines are made for mar, to last...if not last then better opt for electric hybrid cars lor :D
[snapback]842486[/snapback]​

justin just rev until your engine kong... u done it a few time alredy blow engine...

Originally posted by Radical_Putra*+Mar 26 2005, 14:30 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Radical_Putra* @ Mar 26 2005, 14:30 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fstrader@Mar 26 2005, 12:44
[snapback]842486[/snapback]​

justin just rev until your engine kong... u done it a few time alredy blow engine...
[snapback]842675[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

How u know I rev engine till kong? I've neva blown an engine in my life... <_<

But I do admit of keeping high revs in my Tarago.. when playing with a fren.. till the top engine gasket blew.. but that doesn't mean blow whole engine... :)

If you're running in a new engine you should always rev high and rev low and keep droping gears, etc.etc. It's not a joke. The idea is to run your engine at a 'wide rpm range' so that your piston adjusts to your cylinder bore better. Of coz avoid revving to high for the 1st 1000km because your engine oil is filled with lots of metal particles coz of new parts.

If you're building your own engine then listen to my advise.

If you're buying expensive cars don't worry because most exp car engines are already run in at factory.

If you're buying proton don't bother because those car delivery man would already red line your engine all the way from the manufacturing plant to the showroom. It's true, they just wanna have fun with customer's cars and couldn't care less.

Originally posted by cyclonite@Mar 26 2005, 22:35
If you're buying proton don't bother because those car delivery man would already red line your engine all the way from the manufacturing plant to the showroom. It's true, they just wanna have fun with customer's cars and couldn't care less.
[snapback]843385[/snapback]​
quite true LOLx my friends wira had a problem with his car.So the machenic took his car with him and rev it all the way up to 6krpm :lol: my friend very sam tung now LOLx

Originally posted by crazykid+Mar 27 2005, 02:54 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazykid @ Mar 27 2005, 02:54 )</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-cyclonite@Mar 26 2005, 22:35
[snapback]843385[/snapback]​
quite true LOLx my friends wira had a problem with his car.So the machenic took his car with him and rev it all the way up to 6krpm :lol: my friend very sam tung now LOLx
[snapback]843825[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Wahh.. I can imagine how sam tung ur friend will be... engine will be super sion man... :ph34r:

hmm..i was told not to rev hard first 1k cause of the particle of the new engine parts could do damage and after that ram da car to so called power-up the car abitt..if not da car will be powerless near future....

err...tumpang topic abitt arr...sorrie....i am about to do 5 k service.....question is.. my ride has some minor defects ...first of all the aircond duct "button" to adjust the left-right position gone since i got da car...den comes the rubber on my door(small piece) which dunnoe when fell off which cause the alarm blarin in middle of da nite coz i didnt whack the door hard enuff...even if i do sometimes it will sot-sot abitt triggerin the alarm....

can i ask those plotong guys to replace it for me since is still on warranty??will they charge me for it???
thanks in advance all sifu....

Warm it up properly, rev it hard once in a while (not everytime u drive the car) and approach the redline but dun over rev. That's wat i did with my car when i just got it. :D

i've rev' my brand new spanking waja 2 years back when i first got hold of it... of course, i was soft with it for the first 1,000km..

after that i was revving it wat beyond 3,000 rpm and beyond and was running on the highway approx. 160km .. and before its time for its 2nd service on 5,000km .. its been seasoned' with rather frequent high revving.

the car is still with me till today, nothing change except for the stupid central locking, power window, etc..

but imho, i feel the car shoud be 'taught' to behave from the very beginning. different ppl has different methods.. just telling u mind.. cheerio!

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom