Ban on 2nd hand imported cars in 2010

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Agent001

May 20, 2006
Quote from National Automotive Policy released in March:

Approved Permits
The current system of Approved Permits (APs), primarily used as a monitoring and data collection measure, will be phased out by 31 December 2010.

In the interim, APs will be made available based on economic contribution. Priority will be given to vehicle assemblers that have committed to a significant increase in production volume (with significant exports) in a particular model and require APs to import models that complete their product range for the Malaysian market. APs will be made available for a limited number of vehicles not assembled in Malaysia in order to ensure a sufficient choice of products for Malaysian consumers.

The importation of second hand cars (other than individual personal imports) will be progressively phased out culminating in a total ban in 2010, in order to stimulate demand for locally manufactured and assembled vehicles. "

I'm pretty sure most of you guys here know about this. What I want to know is whether we, the common people, are still able to import 2nd hand cars into Malaysia after 2010, considering that there was a line saying "other than individual personal imports". Does anyone know what that actually means? DOes it mean that the AP kings like Naza won't be able to import in 2nd hand cars and sell it to us, but we can still import the cars in individually for personal use?

It would be a pity if the ban was to include even personal importation of personal use, as I know that many of us would definitely love to import in a 2nd hand EVO IX or a Toyota Altezza from Japan.

Thanks. :_:

Last edited:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
$$$ talks. I dont think much will change. so as long as you dont get cheap imports or be taxed from your imports (grey imports that doesnt compete with mass maufacturers bread & butter.)

it will take to another "form" (in tariffs/taxes/levy)

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
oh no, that is not good at all. This means that i can't get a imported GTR from Japan in the future.

But I believe, there are still ways to import the cars that we desire in future. Those 'official' still wants to earn extra pocket money. hehehe...

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
it fool proof way of profiting. (regardless on what they say about overhead cost, tangible or intangible cost, etc)

why cut the source of funds? whatever need to "comply" with trade agreements,
some form of "loophole" will be made to milk us.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
what is the connection of old skool price rise and the discontinue of import of 2nd hand car??

Agent001

May 20, 2006
Heard from some sources that the import of 2nd hand "commercial cars" would be banned, but not "passenger vehicles"...weird....all this dubious info here and there, and we are just guessing what it means....darn

mu24

500 RPM
Jan 18, 2005
Wasnt it... cannot import under company but for personal use can?

rakuen

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
greatla, took those fellas like 6 years to finally come up with a way to finally thwart the whole AFTA issue and screw us over indefinitely...

KeV-TEC

4,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2006
WTF!!!!!! SERIOUSE SHIT??? omg... how could this be?? damn man... no recon car ar??? shit lo.... some ppl tell me its not true pls

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
the whole idea of AFTA is for the benefit of the whole ASEAN region.

example Toyota thai makes Wish and Yaris and export to all neigbouring countries. even singapore not spared, no more Japan toyotas. then malaysia export assembled Hiace, Camrys and Corollas to others, maybe barter trade with Thailand.

Indonesia may assemble Unser (Kijang/Tamara) and 4wds while Philiphine produced the sportier Toyota cars like celica or MRS.

its like ourselves in Johor but buy made-in-Selangor Toyotas but at a bigger and economical scale.

we must look further than just 2010, its not for the sake of ourselves. its about economy as a whole.

in 2015 maybe Skyline GTR will be available in the region, the latest, new and affordable. its because assembling 1,000 GTR per year in malaysia simply sounds stupid for Nissan but assembling 10,000 per year in Malaysia for ASEAN market is very reasonable. but we need to have certain rules and regulations to make this work. things like

1. not allowing grey imports including used vehicle.
2. MoU of trade between the countires.

and that's where AFTA comes in. to make it fair and square for everybody

Agent001

May 20, 2006
zan said:
the whole idea of AFTA is for the benefit of the whole ASEAN region.

example Toyota thai makes Wish and Yaris and export to all neigbouring countries. even singapore not spared, no more Japan toyotas. then malaysia export assembled Hiace, Camrys and Corollas to others, maybe barter trade with Thailand.

Indonesia may assemble Unser (Kijang/Tamara) and 4wds while Philiphine produced the sportier Toyota cars like celica or MRS.

its like ourselves in Johor but buy made-in-Selangor Toyotas but at a bigger and economical scale.

we must look further than just 2010, its not for the sake of ourselves. its about economy as a whole.

in 2015 maybe Skyline GTR will be available in the region, the latest, new and affordable. its because assembling 1,000 GTR per year in malaysia simply sounds stupid for Nissan but assembling 10,000 per year in Malaysia for ASEAN market is very reasonable. but we need to have certain rules and regulations to make this work. things like

1. not allowing grey imports including used vehicle.
2. MoU of trade between the countires.

and that's where AFTA comes in. to make it fair and square for everybody

Not everyone can afford brand new cars anyways, so IMO, the ban on importation of 2nd hand cars after 2010 is a bit ridiculous...and who would want to buy 2nd hand protons when they can pay a bit more and get a much better quality 2nd hand imported car??

IMO, I think the ban is just another measure to counter the AFTA thingy, when taxes have to be abolished, so as to "protect the national automotive industry", and not allowing cheaper, better 2nd hand imported cars into the country, they impose such a ban. Geram betul. :angry_smile:

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
ken yeang said:
what is the connection of old skool price rise and the discontinue of import of 2nd hand car??
what i mean is...the government will protect the local cars by limiting the import of used or recond cars means only new cars can be brought in and so it will be way too expensive after tax from government and this and that...since the import car is very expensive after 300% tax,the local car will be able to increase the car price slightly(which is quite high also) because there is no other competitor selling at a above average price.local car manufacturer can have no worries of their car not selling cause their car will the cheapest new car localy...just another two worthless cent of mine...but it is amazing the way old cars still surviving with even a lot of spare parts available...Datsun,Mazda 323 old version...in malaysia despite those camry,waja,and newer Myvi...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
I thought malaysia is all talk and no action? Meaning, it's just some bullshit to show the citizens that the parliament members are not sleeping? Or is it something to divert our attention while they do something worst in the background that will cause the citizen even more sufferings?

KeV-TEC

4,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2006
1st i also think there r talking crap...
but dunno la i also dun wanna think...
just hope what satria_95 say really happen...

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
KeV-TEC,
Wah... if what I say really happen ar, the country can basically throw down the drain already lor....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi.....bros,need help here..

who can find me gearbox for vr4 that is manual in tip top condition. pm me de price n location.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience