Auto transmission slip just before downshift

bennychen

Known Member
May 10, 2007
Dear all,

I own a Kembara '02 running on auto transmission, I have noticed that just before the transmission downshifts from 4th gear to 3rd gear, it seems to slip just a little bit (increasing by about 200 to 400 RPM before actually downshifting). This usually happens either just as I begin to go up a steep hill or just after I increase throttle significantly, and this doesn't happen when it downshift from 3rd gear to 2nd gear.

Need some advice before sending my car to workshop, Thank you :)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
try checking the fluid, if it seems okay, try shopping for a bottle of auto transmission treatment or additive. Lucas Oils make a good product

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I don't encourage additives.

I recommend you check your gearbox oil. What type of oil are you using? Is it specified by the manufacturer? Have you changed the gearbox filter before? Is it overfilled? Underfilled?

All of these things will affect the performance of your GB. Perodua GBs if not mistaken should be on Dexron III. Some pandai mechanics use Toyota Type IV saying it's the same thing as Dexron III which it is not. Continuous usage of Type IV in a DIII GB will guarantee something breaking eventually in your GB.

8voltpreout

Known Member
Nov 28, 2008
Madagascar :-P
same thing happen to my Wira gear box here. (sorry to hijack ya...) Slips very badly even have to lift off throttle to change gear from 2nd to 3rd. Which is the suitable ATF to be use for Wira GB? Currently i use Type IV... worried la... Gearbox kong again cash flow out again too... thanks in advance!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
same thing happen to my Wira gear box here. (sorry to hijack ya...) Slips very badly even have to lift off throttle to change gear from 2nd to 3rd. Which is the suitable ATF to be use for Wira GB? Currently i use Type IV... worried la... Gearbox kong again cash flow out again too... thanks in advance!
Seriously?? Wrong type of oil la.

Flush it out with cheap SPIII oil, change the ATF filter and pour in Mitsubishi DiaQueen SPIII. Good stuff that one.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
kembara usually the torque converter giving way...i encountered it b4 and changed the whole gearbox to a recond unit...swap and pay rm1.6k for it....warranty 6 months.
but try flush out the oil and put in fresh oil see if it improves...if not, have to change cos later the whole gearbox wont shift gears...u will be stranded.

wira...the spIII in market are mostly imitation oils...try go to proton svc ctr to buy the genuine one....or buy mitsu spIII bit expensive but at least it wont spoilt yr gb

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nut
As per subject

This nut is loose now and I unable to tighten the screw

The thread of the nut still ok

How ah?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience