Anybody used HKC EVC(Electronic Valve Controller) b4?

MystaJ

Known Member
Anybody used HKS EVC(Electronic Valve Controller) b4?

All the sifus out there, i'm currently driving a converted L2S with stock boost at 0.7 bar which i find is insufficient for me...:D Plan to increase my boost without upgrading my turbine (stock RHB31 turbine) I've had a chat with my mech and he recommended me to use HKS EVC(Electronic Valve Controller) with a HKS boost cut installed at my ECU. This EVC is a fully electronic boost controller with display and manual boost adjustable features and many more. But i'm curious whether anyone here has ever used or came across anyone that is using this controller? I've already lowered my compression ratio with a metal head gasket and upgraded my fuel pump from stock (80 lph) to 100 lph with new 2nd hand pistons(cos my previous wan kecut due to lack of petrol, i.e. my fuel pump rosak that time) and a new set of timing belt. Done all this, so my mech said its safe la.

He said that if i were to fix up these 2 items HKS EVC and the HKS boost cut i can adjust my boost to a max of 1.3 bar with my stock turbine. Wat do u all think? Is this possible? Or furthermore, is this recommended? Pls help me out here. Thanks...

P.S. Not gonna install yet, just came out from all the repair (overhaul). Now my engine is under run in period for 5000km.

Links to my overhaul details: http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28&mforum=penanglifestyle&sid=ea17051c7834bc63d8674f21c2b86e57
Links to HKS EVC: http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1651

Last edited by a moderator:
MystaJ said:
All the sifus out there, i'm currently driving a converted L2S with stock boost at 0.7 bar which i find is insufficient for me...:D Plan to increase my boost without upgrading my turbine (stock RHB31 turbine) I've had a chat with my mech and he recommended me to use HKS EVC(Electronic Valve Controller) with a HKS boost cut installed at my ECU. This EVC is a fully electronic boost controller with display and manual boost adjustable features and many more. But i'm curious whether anyone here has ever used or came across anyone that is using this controller? I've already lowered my compression ratio with a metal head gasket and upgraded my fuel pump from stock (80 lph) to 100 lph with new 2nd hand pistons(cos my previous wan kecut due to lack of petrol, i.e. my fuel pump rosak that time) and a new set of timing belt. Done all this, so my mech said its safe la.

He said that if i were to fix up these 2 items HKS EVC and the HKS boost cut i can adjust my boost to a max of 1.3 bar with my stock turbine. Wat do u all think? Is this possible? Or furthermore, is this recommended? Pls help me out here. Thanks...

P.S. Not gonna install yet, just came out from all the repair (overhaul). Now my engine is under run in period for 5000km.

Links to my overhaul details: http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28&mforum=penanglifestyle&sid=ea17051c7834bc63d8674f21c2b86e57
Links to HKS EVC: http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1651

I look at my keyboard and found that S and C is not side by side

i never use HKS electronic boost controller b4... but u can try apexi avcr... tons of functions.. will keep u busy setting it for weeks :D
hehehe... wanna kill the boost cut? i don't know for L2s engines... but for mitsu.. i know where to disconnect the boost-cut thingy. :D
Gd luck...

ftzone said:
i never use HKS electronic boost controller b4... but u can try apexi avcr... tons of functions.. will keep u busy setting it for weeks :D
hehehe... wanna kill the boost cut? i don't know for L2s engines... but for mitsu.. i know where to disconnect the boost-cut thingy. :D
Gd luck...
hey ftzone...thanks for the info. I am aware of Apex'i AVCR but i was recommended HKS becos i was told from my mech that it has the fastest response compared to other brands. I was also asking him about Greddy Profec B2, but he mentioned about HKS being able to provide a faster and longer response with max boost according to settings if compared to other brands. The boost cut thingy can't be just unplugged via wires. It requires an external device to bypass the stock boost cut. This is where HKS boost cut device comes in. I think maybe u were refering to speed cut? If thats the case, i have done it adi...just a wire unplugged and voila...no more speed limit. Thanks for ur info anyways. Do u know anyone using this HKS EVC? Hey, the alarm u're selling at RM119 wan got central locking/auto lock upon depression of brakes?

hks evc cost u around rm500 plus....
why not u go for mod ecu around rm350 ..mod ecu take out ur fuel cut..boost cut..n speed cut..and for boost setting ..just go for "tulang ikan" only rm5 maa..... with this..u can boost up to 1.5 bar.. no kidding..

just my to cent..

Bro,
Erm..which HKS EVC are U talking about? (EVC III,IV)
If got scramble boost is better.
My choice for Electronic BC is Apexi AVCR or Greddy Profec B.
And of coz, tulang ikan is the cheapest way to up/lower ur boost but not so reliable compared wif electronic BC.

btw, if u wanna boost more than 1bar, its better to change a bigger turbine,otherwise in a short time ur RHB31 will produce white smoke.

hybridnos said:
hks evc cost u around rm500 plus....
why not u go for mod ecu around rm350 ..mod ecu take out ur fuel cut..boost cut..n speed cut..and for boost setting ..just go for "tulang ikan" only rm5 maa..... with this..u can boost up to 1.5 bar.. no kidding..

just my to cent..
hybridnos, firstly i have no idea where to do ECU mod, cos i'm in penang, sifu's that can do this not many around i guess, besides, is it safe? Another thing, just wanna know wat's "tulang ikan"? Been hearing it a lot but donno wats that. Is it a device? Is it safe to use? Can my engine internals withstand it?

kanciL_Murtad said:
Bro,
Erm..which HKS EVC are U talking about? (EVC III,IV)
If got scramble boost is better.
My choice for Electronic BC is Apexi AVCR or Greddy Profec B.
And of coz, tulang ikan is the cheapest way to up/lower ur boost but not so reliable compared wif electronic BC.

btw, if u wanna boost more than 1bar, its better to change a bigger turbine,otherwise in a short time ur RHB31 will produce white smoke.

kanciL_Murtad...so sorry, i don really know which model but according to the link i've posted on the HKS EVC, thats what i'm looking for. I dunno thats III or IV...well as i've explained earlier, i know about greddy profec and apex'i AVCR too, but i was recommended HKS becos HKS has the fastest response time for max boost (i.e. time taken to reach max boost is faster than BC's from other brands) This is wat attracted me to HKS. So i'm just wondering around trying to search for clues and insights. Another thing is wat is tulang ikan? How cheap? Is it reliable? Is it safe to use? I'm aware of over-boosting...so i won't over-boost too much, maybe max 1.2 bar...

i'll try my best to help u

what 'tulang ikan' means is a bleed valve device that use to bleed oxygen in water to produce bubble in aquarium. u can get it at fish shop. u just ask the seller..."paip ejas oksigen ikan"...i think they should know what u r trying to find. some shop already know what u r doing...they will ask u... "modified kete ke?" hehe
that thing is use to bleed the vacuum/boost signal from manifold to actuator through the vacuum hose connected between them. just bleed the signal then ur actuator will receive much less boost then it will not open the wastegate until more pressure received. then u get more boost for ur engine. hope u get what i mean.

HKS EVC is another device to control boost..the difference is that HKS EVC is electronic controlled. that it will be more precise in controlling boost and many other features. if u got the money...then EVC is a good investment. but if u in low budget, get tulang ikan also can raise boost what ?

about ECU modified..u can try search for ZTH user nicknamed ketit. he sell L2 modified ECU. u must trade in with ur ecu. his ecu got no boost cut..no speed cut...other feature ask himself lah

MystaJ, im using the HKS EVC1..HKS boost controllers are well known to be vr user frenly..its vr easy to set/use...all u do is turn a screw at the back of the controller to the required boost level...there are 3 settings in the EVC1, ie. lo, hi & manual..the manual knob can be adjusted on the panel face itself..

evc1 is kinda outdated already n i think its kinda difficult to find it..i wud recommend u going for evc3 or 4..

the tulang ikan is the same air controller valve sold in aquarium shops..many ppl still use it altho it has tendency to cause boost spike cos its the cheapest..costs oni a few bucks..

Last edited:
flamefox850 said:
i'll try my best to help u

what 'tulang ikan' means is a bleed valve device that use to bleed oxygen in water to produce bubble in aquarium. u can get it at fish shop. u just ask the seller..."paip ejas oksigen ikan"...i think they should know what u r trying to find. some shop already know what u r doing...they will ask u... "modified kete ke?" hehe
that thing is use to bleed the vacuum/boost signal from manifold to actuator through the vacuum hose connected between them. just bleed the signal then ur actuator will receive much less boost then it will not open the wastegate until more pressure received. then u get more boost for ur engine. hope u get what i mean.

HKS EVC is another device to control boost..the difference is that HKS EVC is electronic controlled. that it will be more precise in controlling boost and many other features. if u got the money...then EVC is a good investment. but if u in low budget, get tulang ikan also can raise boost what ?

about ECU modified..u can try search for ZTH user nicknamed ketit. he sell L2 modified ECU. u must trade in with ur ecu. his ecu got no boost cut..no speed cut...other feature ask himself lah
hey flamefox850...thanks for the infos...really enlightened me. Just wanna know about this ketit...do u know him well? Cos i dunno whether i shud just be unplugging my ECU and sending it to him without knowing for sure whether he'll be delivering the modified ECU to me. One doubt is, my car without ECU cannot jalan rite? Another doubt about the tulang ikan. Is it safe to use? Wat happens in long term? Is this actually A way or THE best and cheapest way to control boost? I don have a good feeling about it. Maybe u might care to explain more on the safety side of it. Cos i wudn't wan my baby turbine to burn up with white smoke...hehehe

wildboar said:
MystaJ, im using the HKS EVC1..HKS boost controllers are well known to be vr user frenly..its vr easy to set/use...all u do is turn a screw at the back of the controller to the required boost level...there are 3 settings in the EVC1, ie. lo, hi & manual..the manual knob can be adjusted on the panel face itself..

evc1 is kinda outdated already n i think its kinda difficult to find it..i wud recommend u going for evc3 or 4..

the tulang ikan is the same air controller valve sold in aquarium shops..many ppl still use it altho it has tendency to cause boost spike cos its the cheapest..costs oni a few bucks..
wildboar, thanks for taking time to reply me. Anyway...wat do u mean by boost spike? Is that acceptable for long term use? Or does it actually harm my turbine in the long run...? Don wan that to happen though. Are u using EVC1 1 now? Have u seen the link i posted in my first message here? Can u kindly click on it and tell me whether this is EVC 3 or 4 cos i personally have no idea. Anothing is one of my friend who is currently using Greddy Profec Spec B 2 is telling me its oso user friendly and great to use. All brands are saying the same thing, HKS, Greddy and Apex'i...even Blitz...so me kinda blur...Dunno which to take...my budget is max 1.5k for boost controller. Preferably electronic wan la...cos wanna take care of me turbine mah...

bro, let me tell u, i've been using this tulang ikan thing since i first insert turbo until now...from december 2002 until now..u count for urself. still my turbo healthy. what makes turbo 'kong' is not the tulang ikan itself but when over boost occur.

what i mean by overboost is...with RHB31 turbo on L2 engine can be safe enough to boost 1.0bar...let say u boost 1.5bar...then the turbo will go kong soon becos it will spool toooo fast beyond it's limit. (note: that's my example only..not true figure) but if u got big turbo..u boost 1.5bar nothing happen to ur turbo la but something might happen to ur engine kekeke. so, it does not a matter of using tulang ikan or not.

BUT

tulang ikan itself got potential of boost spike. spike is one kind of over boost except it over boost automatically hehe. it's like this...if usually u bleed ur tulang ikan at certain rate..it will let ur turbo boost at 1.0bar....then with the same setting..it might jump to 1.2bar in a second but will come down to 1.0bar again. the jump off 0.2bar is a spike. spike actually kill ur engine..not necessarily ur turbo

tulang ikan is not the best but the cheapest way to increase boost. the potential of spike..u can prevent it la. if u think that ur engine limit is 1.0bar...set ur tulang ikan at 0.9bar la. if it spike then it will go to 1.0bar-1.1bar only...not to worry right ?

but then again..if u got the money...then electronic boost controller is the best...minimal spike, many features such as high, mid, low boost setting. scramble boost setting, gain setting..if u want boost kick in hard or slowly and smooth..u choose urself.

owh about ketit guy...u can try call he himself. anything..just ask him

019-363 7203 (TIM or KETIT)

and pls dun ask me anything about that modified ecu cos i'm not using that ecu either and i'm not his salesman
icon10.gif

flamefox850 said:
owh about ketit guy...u can try call he himself. anything..just ask him

019-363 7203 (TIM or KETIT)

and pls dun ask me anything about that modified ecu cos i'm not using that ecu either and i'm not his salesman
icon10.gif
thank you so much flamefox850...u oso driving converted Mira is it? Wats ur max boost not? For the spikes rite, in wat way would it kill my engine? U mean kill my pistons? piston rings? crankshaft? camshaft? valves? wat exactly do u mean can kill my engine. I understand ur concept about a bigger turbine...for the time being i just wanna play with stock turbine first...see how much potential it can output first. If i still not satisfied i can upgrade bigger turbine lor...but before do that wanna try out the max capacity of my stock turbine first. After all if i get an electronic boost controller i can still use for other turbines too rite if i choose to upgrade to bigger turbine in future? The boost controller is a universal device rite? Sorry la...me still newbie to turbos la...need lots and lots of advice...where's ur location? U teach me and guide me so much adi...if u happen to come to penang gimme a call at 016-4952708...we can go TT...i belanja...and regarding the "tulang ikan" where to buy? Just any aquarium shop or fish shop? Where can i install this? I dunno whether my mech can do it or not...need to ask first loe...thanks so much again...and do reply my questions ok? Thanks again...

haha dun worry la..me also like u last time or even worse. first time got my kancil..dunno what to do man. only know how to drive only. i dunno what's the meaning of servicing that time hahaa..silly me

ok back to ur question, yes, u can use ur HKS EVC at any turbo charge engine, same engine with new turbo ? NO big deal. small matter only. yeah it's a universal stuff.

about my car ah ? u can check out at my website..click the link below (at my signature), and see the picture that shows my Apexi air filter...it also shows the tulang ikan la..shiny thing that crome/silver in color...but maybe a bit blur la that picture. i'm not going to say my current boost is my max boost becos, i'm not push it hard enough. now got problem with clutch slipage...so, 1.0bar boost is now my highest boost...still.

how boost spike kill ur engine ? boost spike means over boost right ? so, more boost means more air. when i mean over boost that means more air than fuel. so air/fuel ratio is going leaner and leaner until one moment the mixture in the combustion chamber is sooo hot and it detonate/pinging/knocking. it will start burning before time. then the explosion leads to many other explosions and ur piston tend to get a shockwave...it rattle at a high frequency. ahh...so long la to explain...u can check internet for better info. i'm afraid i'm giving u the wrong info kekeke. what damage ? depends. some gasket leak, some might burst the piston, some might burst the valve, piston ring break bla bla bla

btw i'm from pasir mas, kelantan hehe

owh forgot...about the tulang ikan..i think most of the aquarium/pet fish shop got sell la that thing. i dunno what is the real name of it..just call bleed valve or paip ejas oksigen ikan hehe. some shop sell metal one (that i use..crome/silver in color), some sell plastic one. buy metal one more 'tahan' and not to forget... a bit good looking compare to plastic loh hehe

just buy mod ecu n tulang ikan.. n set ur boost 1.2 bar....
boost spikee..? dont worry laaa.. it cant spike to 2bar... but mine tulang ikan is no spike laa.. just ok..only have a little lag to fullboost...
the worry thing is.. ur cluth system.. when u up ur boost..the cluth tend to be slipping..
but ..if u not going to mod ecu..n set boost 1.2 bar.. then ur engine will blow..trust me..
no matter how expensive ur boost controller is...

MystaJ, if u have budget of RM1.5k solely for boost controller then i suggest u get Apexi AVCR..its got loads of functions..but if i were u, i'd just get a basic controller wif lo, hi & scramble settings and use the rest of money to upgrade the engine...

just my 2cents..

Top Bottom