14 - 18 more horsepower

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

drMpower

Hola friends,

I was looking into Paul Tan's site for somesort of motoring news update and then I come across his latest posting about one particular E70 X5.

That BMW has been tuned by Hamann, a top continential tuner and I absolutely sure all you guys are very familiar with.

Quoting from paultan.org;

"...it’s power bumped up from 272 horsepower to 286 horsepower, while torque is boosted from 315Nm to 340Nm. That would be 14 horses and 25Nm respectively. The top of the range 4.8i model now makes 18 more horses at 373 horsepower compared to the stock 355 horsepower..."

Well, I was thinking about that mere 14 and 18 more horsepower (hp).. do they make any different? I mean, can anyone justify that what Hamann did on that X5 is consider significant? as for me, 14 is small number. 18 also a small, but rather big by 4 to the 14hp. :regular_smile:

As far as I concern, people carriers/ vehicles which ferry people, the torque is what more important than the horsepower. which means, more torque is good to 'pull' the weight of the vehicle+on board passengers/ items.

The same can be say on that 622 Mercedes which is only 'a few' more hp than the original SLR.

Maybe what they have done now is improve the overall torque and power curve, just judging this value is no use

Yeah. The manner of the delivery is also important.

And you have to consider the percentage of increase instead of the actual number I think. 10 extra horses for an engine that had 100 is a lot but insignificant for one that had 500.

silverfish: how about 14hp over 272 times 100? u do the math! heheheheh

yeah. that curve is sometime i have to admit I know nothing. but, what a mere 14hp can do overally?

buffled. buffled.

many of us here mod mod mod exhaust n filter also hoping for 14 - 18 hp increase nia....

silverfish: how about 14hp over 272 times 100? u do the math! heheheheh

yeah. that curve is sometime i have to admit I know nothing. but, what a mere 14hp can do overally?

buffled. buffled.
Hehe, I was speaking in general, not in reference of this particular car.

14 out of 272 isn't a lot, I have to say. But then, as was said, we don't know if they've done anything to the power delivery (is it smoother, better response perhaps, etc etc.), all things to do with the power curve.

alright i give u an example, previously right lets say the torque around 2000 rpm is only around 240nm.. but now at this point they manage to get about 275nm.. so at this point there is raise in torque.. quite significant actually.. with this said.. u have to compare the power and torque curve.. although it might be just a little increase at the peak.. there are so many points on the curve... so until we compare the curves before and after..

okay I give u an example.. take for instance i plot of graph of how much money u make a day for a month.. so on the first month u have an average rm100 a day and on a good day u make about rm150.. the following month u make about rm 80 average a day but on ur peak u made rm200.... U get what i mean.. the peak values is nice too know, but not always the most important point..

Last edited:
Yeah but i'm sure they also upgraded the suspension, brakes etc...which makes it better overall

14 horses and 25Nm
is good enough...
Dont think the X5 as a sports..
its a sporty SUV with the bimmer badge..

improve response over peak power maybe ? seeing this is X5 not a sports car lol

14 horses and 25Nm
is good enough...
Dont think the X5 as a sports..
its a sporty SUV with the bimmer badge..
X5 is CUV, not SUV. BMW don't sell any SUV

X5 is CUV, not SUV. BMW don't sell any SUV

its all just fancy terms used. IIRC a sportscenter segment showed that the X5 was one of the UK's footballers fave ride, which is most likely the market for this type of rides.

unlikely that normal joes would pay an extra "marque mod tax" anyways.

alright i give u an example, previously right lets say the torque around 2000 rpm is only around 240nm.. but now at this point they manage to get about 275nm.. so at this point there is raise in torque.. quite significant actually.. with this said.. u have to compare the power and torque curve.. although it might be just a little increase at the peak.. there are so many points on the curve... so until we compare the curves before and after..QUOTE]

yeah. i think i got that just. (sort of). with the 2000 rpm, there is a raise to 275nm. and i guess 35 is not small by any mean when it comes to torque. and also the peak.

but the peak is the maximum, isn't it? and it is possible for the torque to be maximised for a long period?

Maybe what they have done now is improve the overall torque and power curve, just judging this value is no use

i second you....

BMW X5 is one very heavy vehicle. strong torque delivered at low revs and goes tth entire rev band does have its benefits. the original figures are already good ones.

eh IMHO. Maybe its using a curmmy auto box torqu converter, hence there is a limit as to how much power you can put out without the towque converter overheating and dying out before you get to the next traffic light? Maybe maybe?

About what auto box they are using i'm not to sure, but bmw and mercedes actually spend quite abit on the gearbox, thats why mercedes still have the record for fastest automatic car...

i'd be damn happy if i can get 14hp and 25Nm more torque out of my 4ag without having to shift the powerband upward.. >.<

well watever it is...its still more power, haha

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom