Weird substance inside radiator

god knows... but previously was using tap water... for about 5 years.. pure tap water only.. no coolant

Maybe the material inside the radiator? I don't know... Or the water pump? Must be something within the water circulation system. :hmmmm:

ehh the gunk is the thermostat itself!?!?
thats weird!

could be something else. but if it's not oil, then it's the wax thermostatic element inside the car thermostat (I think all car uses this type, but maybe got some exceptions). That's why if it feels like wax, it's from the thermostat internals, probably leaked due to age and corrosion. I don't think engine temps run hot enough to melt thermostats.

Otherwise, its usually from the sealant mechanics apply when installing waterpump. I think the sealant would be recognisable if it was sealant.

The alternatives are... someone put something in the coolant?

Last edited:
I'm using this Toyota coolant now. Should be reliable.

attachment.php

Just to share with all.....

Toyota coolants are sold at either spare part shop, or Toyota Service Centre. They look the same.
However, the prices differ a lot. Dont believe, go ask and compare the prices from the sparepart shop and ask at Toyota SS.

So, be careful not to buy the fake coolant, guys.
The boss of my usual spare part shop also said "...item such as coolant, engine oil are popularly imitated".

could be something else. but if it's not oil, then it's the wax thermostatic element inside the car thermostat (I think all car uses this type, but maybe got some exceptions). That's why if it feels like wax, it's from the thermostat internals, probably leaked due to age and corrosion. I don't think engine temps run hot enough to melt thermostats.

Otherwise, its usually from the sealant mechanics apply when installing waterpump. I think the sealant would be recognisable if it was sealant.

The alternatives are... someone put something in the coolant?

Perhaps the weird substance that I found on my radiator water came from the thermostat.

Just to share with all.....

Toyota coolants are sold at either spare part shop, or Toyota Service Centre. They look the same.
However, the prices differ a lot. Dont believe, go ask and compare the prices from the sparepart shop and ask at Toyota SS.

So, be careful not to buy the fake coolant, guys.
The boss of my usual spare part shop also said "...item such as coolant, engine oil are popularly imitated".

What is the price for those found in Toyota Service Centre?

Tap water + coolant. Any rust in the radiator?

The coolant have anti rust as mentioned by bro. Renesis. Every one year plus to two years, once I see the coolant color becomes lighter I flush and add in new coolant

The coolant have anti rust as mentioned by bro. Renesis. Every one year plus to two years, once I see the coolant color becomes lighter I flush and add in new coolant

Mine needs changing soon after adding water several times. First it was because to drain off the water when replacing drain plug. Then later when removing thermostat, some of it poured out again. Maybe few more months later I will go change it.

I used to use this, but in PJ now only got Toyota LLC Premix only. Premix means lighter concentration already......:banghead:

If it is premix, means just add in the whole bottle without water is enough?

Mine needs changing soon after adding water several times. First it was because to drain off the water when replacing drain plug. Then later when removing thermostat, some of it poured out again. Maybe few more months later I will go change it.

If it is premix, means just add in the whole bottle without water is enough?

Still read your owner's manual how much is better. Premix is usually half/half mix but read the specification first anyway. If premix means you need more coolant per radiator mixture to water

Still read your owner's manual how much is better. Premix is usually half/half mix but read the specification first anyway. If premix means you need more coolant per radiator mixture to water

Hmmm, I need to check on that. That time when pouring in Toyota coolant, my mechanic poured in the whole bottle and fill it all up with water after that.

Last edited:
I used TLLC for many years from RM17 to 20 plus, so now I switch to Mitsu ones already.....lol

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom