WTA: Owning a Evo VIII

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Did you proceed to check out an Evo IX that you mentioned this weekend btw? or you cancelled the appointment?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Joint event huh ? It must be hot out there. It has been so quiet in Malaysia recently. Except for Southern reigon, the R32-R34 gathering. That was awesome. :love:
Back a few years VRC club was hot here too. They have outings, charity drives, and Dato' Sagor race events yearly. VRC Thailand and MY became friends and visited each other, so when I was up there in BKK they invited me out for dinner. The Thais very friendly group.....:adore:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Great ! What field you are in ? I've been in the working field for like 6 years now ... Do not worry, you will get there eventually, furthermore, you are still young i assumed.
Language field. English language. If nothing goes wrong, I should graduate by next year. Some recommend me to become a teacher, some recommend me to do something in the automotive industry like becoming a writer/journalist.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Language field. English language. If nothing goes wrong, I should graduate by next year. Some recommend me to become a teacher, some recommend me to do something in the automotive industry like becoming a writer/journalist.
Is not what others want you to do but what you want to do, that is best.......:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Okay .... that's weird .... :confused: ZTH buaya a lot till dudes are becoming target too :rofl: ?

Great ! What field you are in ? I've been in the working field for like 6 years now ... Do not worry, you will get there eventually, furthermore, you are still young i assumed.
Is not what others want you to do but what you want to do, that is best.......:biggrin:
I like cars but I'm not really that good in mechanical work skills. I prefer writing more.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Did you proceed to check out an Evo IX that you mentioned this weekend btw? or you cancelled the appointment?
Hahaha one last ride i did go ahead. Unfortunately, the engine starter of that IX was shot ! They have to kick the starter to get the engine running ! No way in hell i am buying that even if i wanted to.

Back to the experience, engine has been dekitted to almost stock except for the muffler. The dealer was honest enough to tell me brief history for the car. Mileage is 120k km, clutch had been replaced at 80km. Owner killed the clutch when launching quick. Heard odd noises from the back of the car, dealer doesn't know what caused that either, standard answer, they will check :thefinger: I know they never will :thefinger: Acceleration and speed wise no complaint, the low end torque is so much better than E8, this is during light throttle. Unfortunately we spent almost half an hour to start the IX and i only got 20 minutes to spend with that car before i went fetching my gf from servicing her car.

That's the end of my evolution test driving journey.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I like cars but I'm not really that good in mechanical work skills. I prefer writing more.
English field eh, if you are open to foreign jobs, i would suggest you can try out as an English teacher or translater in Taiwan. My friend was getting good pay at Taiwan by doing translation from English to Mandarin. However, the job might be niche but does well enough to pay bills and buy a car there. If you can handle left hand drive of course. :biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha one last ride i did go ahead. Unfortunately, the engine starter of that IX was shot ! They have to kick the starter to get the engine running ! No way in hell i am buying that even if i wanted to.

Back to the experience, engine has been dekitted to almost stock except for the muffler. The dealer was honest enough to tell me brief history for the car. Mileage is 120k km, clutch had been replaced at 80km. Owner killed the clutch when launching quick. Heard odd noises from the back of the car, dealer doesn't know what caused that either, standard answer, they will check :thefinger: I know they never will :thefinger: Acceleration and speed wise no complaint, the low end torque is so much better than E8, this is during light throttle. Unfortunately we spent almost half an hour to start the IX and i only got 20 minutes to spend with that car before i went fetching my gf from servicing her car.

That's the end of my evolution test driving journey.
Ic, need to replace the starter motor probably. How about the body and interior, still in good condition?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Ic, need to replace the starter motor probably. How about the body and interior, still in good condition?
Steering wheel leather is torn AF. Can see scratches on the door handle, footrest area and saw cigarette marks on the cushion ! This a GSR model so no leather recaro ... The dealer keep assuring the driver didn't smoke ... Then i showed them the mark, then they said could be one of the mechanic when they let them inspect the car before put it on sale.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Steering wheel leather is torn AF. Can see scratches on the door handle, footrest area and saw cigarette marks on the cushion ! This a GSR model so no leather recaro ... The dealer keep assuring the driver didn't smoke ... Then i showed them the mark, then they said could be one of the mechanic when they let them inspect the car before put it on sale.
I would have thought they would have refurbish the car nicely before putting up for sale.....:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I would have thought they would have refurbish the car nicely before putting up for sale.....:smokin:
Hmm if steering leather already torn off, then the actual mileage should be more than 120k km already. Smoker or not, the main point is surely the seats cacat already leh! GSR should also have the leather material on the bolster, only RS doesn't have any leather on the seats if not mistaken. Then the MR would have red stitching of the same GSR seats.

Used car dealer usually will not replace steering wheel leather and seat cushion. Used Evo IX steering will cost them around rm800-1000 (or rm200 if rewrap) then the seats complete set around 3-4k (maybe 2k plus for front and about 1k+ for rear) so pretty costly. They'd just normally clean up, repaint & polish, then reset the mileage lower. If windshield or some lights are broken then they also might replace that, otherwise they won't spend much to refurbish. Recon car sellers though might do/spend a bit more but mostly about the same also.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
English field eh, if you are open to foreign jobs, i would suggest you can try out as an English teacher or translater in Taiwan. My friend was getting good pay at Taiwan by doing translation from English to Mandarin. However, the job might be niche but does well enough to pay bills and buy a car there. If you can handle left hand drive of course. :biggrin:
Foreign jobs? So far, I have only thought of Japan (where else can be a better place for JDM car guys). But to be a translator or English teacher over there, I need to know Japanese first. I might give this idea a thought after I graduate.

As for Taiwan, it is a bit of a turn off for me because of the left hand drive. Feels weird to drive MT cars in left hand drive. :biggrin: Another thing is, I can only speak and listen to Mandarin but I can't read or write in them. I came from an English school.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hmm if steering leather already torn off, then the actual mileage should be more than 120k km already. Smoker or not, the main point is surely the seats cacat already leh! GSR should also have the leather material on the bolster, only RS doesn't have any leather on the seats if not mistaken. Then the MR would have red stitching of the same GSR seats.

Used car dealer usually will not replace steering wheel leather and seat cushion. Used Evo IX steering will cost them around rm800-1000 (or rm200 if rewrap) then the seats complete set around 3-4k (maybe 2k plus for front and about 1k+ for rear) so pretty costly. They'd just normally clean up, repaint & polish, then reset the mileage lower. If windshield or some lights are broken then they also might replace that, otherwise they won't spend much to refurbish. Recon car sellers though might do/spend a bit more but mostly about the same also.
For a car that cost that much used, that will be hard to sell if most things looks old and broken.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For a car that cost that much used, that will be hard to sell if most things looks old and broken.....lol
For interiors seldom they will replace stuff because at least people won't notice from the outside. Interiors also not easy to touch up, mostly need to replace. They care more on exterior coz that's very obvious and easier to just repaint. I've checked out Evos with holes in the dash and door panels and they're just selling them like that even though exteriors all look nice and shiny. (there's one with cracked windshield and lights and they say they can cover for those but not the damages on the interiors).

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yeah man, yet they still got the balls to put it on sale.

For interiors seldom they will replace stuff because at least people won't notice from the outside. Interiors also not easy to touch up, mostly need to replace. They care more on exterior coz that's very obvious and easier to just repaint. I've checked out Evos with holes in the dash and door panels and they're just selling them like that even though exteriors all look nice and shiny. (there's one with cracked windshield and lights and they say they can cover for those but not the damages on the interiors).
It's gonna cost me even more in future if i am getting one. Restoring the ran down parts and worn interiors will really cost me lot. Hopefully still can get a decent unit. Might opt to buy from direct owner.