[WTA]: Driving Habits

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
hi guys,

just curious to know if there is a right/wrong time to turn off the ignition after hard driving.

normally after hard driving and stuff, i'll sit in my car or let it run for about a minute or so before shutting down the engine having the mindset that it will help burn off the excess oil/petrol or whatever...let it cool down konon (just like a t/timer)

however, will anything happen say if i were to just park the car directly after hard driving and just turn off the engine...will that have an effect on the engine internals or anything?

would like to know your feedback on this pls.

yuh_woei

Known Member
Sep 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I dont care much regarding this kind of "right/wrong time to turn off the ignition after hard driving" if got time only i will do....or if i remember..... hehehe......but we cant depent too much on right/wrong,... or if you really want to take care your car.... why not just do like the F1 ?......... but i think that is too much..... and if you said didnt care at all,well sometimes we do..... to name it i think that will be too many....... just turn off the ignition when you feel the timing/rpm drop to normal position.

Cheers

DJmobile

500 RPM
Dec 13, 2003
my car auto have 1min idle...

turbo timer...
thus prolong the turbo lifespan

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
For Turbo engines, after a hard drive, lubrication oil temperature will be extremely high especially the oil inside turbo CHRA's shaft.

WHen engine shift off abruptly, the heat soaked oil coke and hardens. Over time, shaft's performance detriorate and accelerated wear occurs.

As for N/A, the oil in the bearings of the reciprocating assembly (conrod, gideon pin, crankshaft) will also coke and harden when an engine is abraupt switched off without allowing cooling down time.

So its best to get a Turbo timer.

Pickcell

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
Asia
Joeker said:
As for N/A, the oil in the bearings of the reciprocating assembly (conrod, gideon pin, crankshaft) will also coke and harden when an engine is abraupt switched off without allowing cooling down time.

So that means we shud let N/A cars "cool off" first after driving? Like whatdamn said?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
if tat is turbo car....then it is suggested not to OFF d engine immediately....if NA then is ok

mine is normal drive will off after 15sec..auto timer ma......if hard drive then gotta see how hard i drive then only d timer wil decide d time to cool down....

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
joker,
my view on hard driving as in after an autocross run or a drift run...like going at high revs for quite some time u know?

anymore views on the matter?

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I'd agree that for a turbo charged car, its better to have a turbo timer to prolong turbine lifespan but i doubt its effectiveness when you're talking about NA cars. First, stock NA cars probably went thru few hundred thousand KM's of testing before being produced and i doubt your engine will have problem if you switch off immediately after a long drive. Else, we'll probably see tens of thousands of old cars breaking down every day.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
i'm not saying a long drive...i mentioned HARD driving...as in constant high rpms in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. get it?

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
for NA cars just let the engine idle for a while before killing it lor.

for Turbo cars, most people have the wrong understanding of a turbo timer. Why do cars need a turbo timer? It's simple because the turbo turbine spins at a very high RPM during operation. When your car comes to a standstill the turbo is still spinning very fast. you need to give it time to slow down otherwise when you kill the engine the oil supply to the turbo will stop and the turbo will overheat.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
mmm icic.

anyways sorry if there's any misconception due to the lack of info...i'm refering to NA engines :)

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
Good to let any car too idle for a while before switching off the engine.. read it in the NST car section sometime back

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Anyways, Turbo timer is so drit cheap nowadays.

I think RM100 is enough for an ol school HKS or APEXi timer.

Then RM30 for install.

And if you are good in DIY, can install by yourself.

Pickcell

Known Member
Jul 25, 2005
Asia
Joeker said:
Anyways, Turbo timer is so drit cheap nowadays.

I think RM100 is enough for an ol school HKS or APEXi timer.

Then RM30 for install.

And if you are good in DIY, can install by yourself.
ooo ok.. But this turbo timer can be used to read N/A cars?

I mean.. it works for n/a cars rite? where to buy so cheap old hks/APEXi timer?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Pickcell said:
ooo ok.. But this turbo timer can be used to read N/A cars?

I mean.. it works for n/a cars rite? where to buy so cheap old hks/APEXi timer?

N/A car can put timer as well......syiok urself lo...

where to get cheap timer.....u can 5 it around ZTH at 'engine n performance' or 'interior' there.....happy finding o

12oY

Known Member
Nov 9, 2004
kuantan
Visit site
Joeker said:
For Turbo engines, after a hard drive, lubrication oil temperature will be extremely high especially the oil inside turbo CHRA's shaft.

WHen engine shift off abruptly, the heat soaked oil coke and hardens. Over time, shaft's performance detriorate and accelerated wear occurs.

yup i have read and imported engine tuning book .. is true for turbo charge as what joker say it will fry the main bering and the turbo bering and will cause shoter the bering life span.. so we need a timer to ide the engine to cool down the hot engine oil through the oil cooler......but for N/A not every engine need.. only for those extream mod engine and extream journy or on high rev engine so the engine oil heat up more than normal run ... so that need cool it down 1st b4 the engine oil fry the main bering...

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
read from mag, After the car done long distance travel (example, KL - Ipoh) or travel at high speed. Let the engine idle for 2 - 3 mins before turning off the engine.

And I try my best to warm up the engine in the morning for 1 - 2 mins before i start rolling the wheel :), just a personal practice.

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Heh wanted to share with you guys, if you drive at high speeds for prolonged periods on a nice hot afternoon, next time stop just enough to shut your engine down and pull your dipstick. Mine was fuming... :) and no I was not running a turbo.

So think only turbo cars need to be cooled down before switching off?

The best explanation I can give is avoid rapid/subbden changes in temperature. If your have been speeding, wind down, slow down, rev down, WAY before you reach your planned shut off point. Thats my best advice. 5 mins of relaxed driving will probably cool your car far more than 5 mins of idling. Turbos timers are pretty ok. but I question how effective is the oil cooling when your not having air moving through your radiator and relying the fan only.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So the great grand uncle of your second cousin, twice removed, has moved on to the great lounge chair in the sky and left you a hefty sum of money because he hates everybody else in the family. You go out and buy yourself a brand spanking new Porsche 911 GT3. Plenty of fist bumps follow from your buddies and phone numbers from the ladies...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience