Daily Driving Racing Shell

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Who daily drives with a racing shell? I'm considering doing it since my boat floats all over the place. I've had SR-3 before. It was great. But I've sold it to a friend and I want to upgrade. SR7 prices are ridiculous, Evo X Recaro's are madness.

Thoughts?

Attachments

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Who daily drives with a racing shell? I'm considering doing it since my boat floats all over the place. I've had SR-3 before. It was great. But I've sold it to a friend and I want to upgrade. SR7 prices are ridiculous, Evo X Recaro's are madness.

Thoughts?
How much is used Evo X seats nowadays? 3k plus per pair?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
racing shell.. u mean full buckets?

i used to... recaro SPG.....but i dont drive much anymore these days...bike mostly now.

but the spg is still in the car and ive even used for long distance drives such as kuantan and melaka. all good.

depends on each person's preference and buttocks.. whats comfy for me.. may not be for u.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
How much is used Evo X seats nowadays? 3k plus per pair?
You wish. 3K per piece if you're lucky?

racing shell.. u mean full buckets?

i used to... recaro SPG.....but i dont drive much anymore these days...bike mostly now.

but the spg is still in the car and ive even used for long distance drives such as kuantan and melaka. all good.

depends on each person's preference and buttocks.. whats comfy for me.. may not be for u.
Yes full bucket. Eh great, someone who owns one. How's getting in/out of it? Troublesome?

Noted on the comfort level -- because it depends on how big sized you are as well, since SPG has a bigger sized SPG XL. I'm eyeing the SPG III, JDM one.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004

Yes full bucket. Eh great, someone who owns one. How's getting in/out of it? Troublesome?

Noted on the comfort level -- because it depends on how big sized you are as well, since SPG has a bigger sized SPG XL. I'm eyeing the SPG III, JDM one.
getting in n out of full bucket.. of course troublesome. hahahahhaha

but i dont drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in.. then drive 5 minutes.. get out..then 5 mins later.. get back in..

u get what i mean? hehehehhe

to make matters worse, i drive a 2 door hatchback which has a longer door.. so in tight parking spaces, it can be troublesome as ull need to swing the door open more to get a bigger space to get in and out. but i still manage. im the slim n sexy kind btw :P

i also know of a guy.. who has the most uncomfortable bucket ive ever felt.. literally cloth over fiber shell... no cushioning at all. drives daily from subang to KLIA for work... says he is comfortable with that seat.. he has since moved to sabah and brought the car (and seat) with him a few years back... i think he may still have that seat in the car hahahah

so yeah.. diff butt.. diff comfort level. only way for u to find out is to actually try it out urself for a month or 2.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Thoughts?
i've done it in my old E30 for about a year, It fits me just night, more snug than preferred.
no actual complains really other than:

- if i had rear passengers then they need to get in the coupe from the left door.
- I need to remove my phone, wallet before getting in
- it's a little harder to reach for carpark tickets
- you need to a different method to get in/out, for ergonomic reasons and fabric preservation
- you either sit a little too straight or too tilted.
- when it rains, you get a little more wet as entry is slightly delayed

As for actual benefits, well you do feel the road and car better, there's the #becauseracecar moment every time you drive but if you ask me, you're better off with road going, adjustable sports seats.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Really so expensive meh? I think I saw before in some FB Evo clubs they were selling something around 3-4k per pair used, but not sure of the condition though. If Evo IX one is about 2-3k which is also already pretty nice but the leather on the right side bolster often already has some cracking.

I also think real full bucket seat is just too trouble some. Maximum I'll go for is like those Evo seats where you can still adjust and have decent cushion, no more hardcore than those. Even that is not easy to go in and out already, that's why Evo IX seats always got cracks on the right side bolster. Need more careful technique to get in & out to preserve it.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thoughts?
NOOOO.. SELL TO ME MAHHHHHHH BUGGEERRRRRr

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
NOOOO.. SELL TO ME MAHHHHHHH BUGGEERRRRRr
Recaro SR-3 a lot in the market. Those from Evo 2, Evo 3 etc. Usually RM2k a pair.

i've done it in my old E30 for about a year, It fits me just night, more snug than preferred.
no actual complains really other than:

- if i had rear passengers then they need to get in the coupe from the left door.
- I need to remove my phone, wallet before getting in
- it's a little harder to reach for carpark tickets
- you need to a different method to get in/out, for ergonomic reasons and fabric preservation
- you either sit a little too straight or too tilted.
- when it rains, you get a little more wet as entry is slightly delayed

As for actual benefits, well you do feel the road and car better, there's the #becauseracecar moment every time you drive but if you ask me, you're better off with road going, adjustable sports seats.
I take it that you no longer run race seats in the E30?

1. My boat has four doors so screw the passengers.
2. I always remove the stuff from my pockets, habit. But yes I can imagine the pain!
3. This might be a challenge, I park everyday in a car park
4. Yup
5. Some rails have multiple mounting holes. Still a pain
6. Noted.

You raised very good points. I think my concern would be on point 3 and 5 for me. For the Recaro buckets, ASM have made some side bolster protectors to cover the high abrasion areas.

Next up from SR-3 is the SR-4/5, some with the thigh supports. Or the Sportster CS, or the ones from Evo X.. the SR-11...

SR-4/5... see if I can score it.. the Sportster is going for like ~6k a pair, Evo X... lol.. eyes will bleed. SR-7 is going for 3.7k a piece.

But I like the #racecar moment. And honestly I didn't adjust my SR-3 after I fix it to my sweet spot.

Decisions...gonna keep my eyes peeled on SPG-III or the SR-4/5 with adjustable thigh support..and see what pops up first..

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Check in the Evo 1-10 Marketplace FB forum, I saw there's a pair of Evo X seats for sale just below 4k.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Check in the Evo 1-10 Marketplace FB forum, I saw there's a pair of Evo X seats for sale just below 4k.
Thanks. We should come out yumcha.