Worth to buy 2nd hand mpv

Known Member
Apr 2, 2012
Nilai
Hi All Sifu here.
I try to search any thread related to mpv but cannot find the info that i'm looking for.
And I'm sorry if someone already asked this before.

Actually I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand mpv with a range of RM70k up to RM100k.
In my mind there are a few:
1. Estima Turbo model. No matter 2.4, 3.0 or 3.5.(please suggest what model as there are too many models)
2. Honda Odyssey 2.4 i-vvti
3. Any other mpv please suggest.

My criteria is:
1. Powerful (because now i'm using turbo)
2. Comfort for up to 6 person
3. Less maintenance/Less problem
4. FC
5. Resale value

Thanks in advance everybody.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Criteria no 1 and 4 should not be put together in one list.
There is no such thing as powerful and good fc regardless of engine capacity when talking about MPV.

What i suggest is u go an see the MPV yourself. Its the tiny2 thing that can put u off like the non availability of cup holders, small space to store item, rear aircond blower.

Malaysia choice seems to favour the Estima.

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Alpard/Vellfire sure worth to buy...
Specious for family value just need to add some more on your budget.

Known Member
Apr 2, 2012
Nilai
I wanted to say Exora CFE. Pretty spacious and low end torque is good. But resale value sure die.
Im using lots of proton car before and the quality will be the main issue

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

Criteria no 1 and 4 should not be put together in one list.
There is no such thing as powerful and good fc regardless of engine capacity when talking about MPV.

What i suggest is u go an see the MPV yourself. Its the tiny2 thing that can put u off like the non availability of cup holders, small space to store item, rear aircond blower.

Malaysia choice seems to favour the Estima.
Yes you're right, my mistake. Actually I drove both and bot have the criteria that Im looking for. That's why im looking for additional advice here. Appreciate your comments.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Alpard/Vellfire sure worth to buy...
Specious for family value just need to add some more on your budget.
Sorry but I don't like that big and bulky thing.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For 70-100k, you can't get a decent MPV that has all your criteria unless it's at least 10 years old. A 10 year old 2.5L Estima sells for about 70k ish. Probably the first gen Odyssey will be within your price bracket.

But such old cars will give you a lot of maintenance headaches, unless you're willing to fork out massive amounts to do up the car completely after buying the car.

Resale value for anything non-Toyota is crap. So if this really is your criteria then you can only look at the Estima.

Powerful and spacious doesn't give you much choice again. Estima 2.5, Odyssey 2.4, Grandis 2.4 and erm.. that's about it since you're anti-Alphard (so am I to be honest).

Forget about the Exora CFE. If you do a quick google there are so many complaints about the car it's ridiculous. My friends 1 year old Exora CFE has had the dash removed 3 times, gearbox changed and all sorts of other things 6 times total (all warranty covered).

If you can look past the brand, go have a look at the Chery Eastar. Quite well equipped, 2.0 NA, quite spacious and most importantly - new. Test drive it and you might be surprised. Well within your budget too.

Otherwise if you can topup your budget a bit more, consider the Nissan Serena Hybrid or standard car. It's quite good and you'll rarely ever see one in a used car shop or for sale. No one ever sells theirs.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Oh and you can forget about FC. As long as it's an MPV, it'll never have good FC unless it's a Avanza or Alza.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
For 70-100k, you can't get a decent MPV that has all your criteria unless it's at least 10 years old. A 10 year old 2.5L Estima sells for about 70k ish. Probably the first gen Odyssey will be within your price bracket.

But such old cars will give you a lot of maintenance headaches, unless you're willing to fork out massive amounts to do up the car completely after buying the car.

Resale value for anything non-Toyota is crap. So if this really is your criteria then you can only look at the Estima.

Powerful and spacious doesn't give you much choice again. Estima 2.5, Odyssey 2.4, Grandis 2.4 and erm.. that's about it since you're anti-Alphard (so am I to be honest).

Forget about the Exora CFE. If you do a quick google there are so many complaints about the car it's ridiculous. My friends 1 year old Exora CFE has had the dash removed 3 times, gearbox changed and all sorts of other things 6 times total (all warranty covered).

If you can look past the brand, go have a look at the Chery Eastar. Quite well equipped, 2.0 NA, quite spacious and most importantly - new. Test drive it and you might be surprised. Well within your budget too.

Otherwise if you can topup your budget a bit more, consider the Nissan Serena Hybrid or standard car. It's quite good and you'll rarely ever see one in a used car shop or for sale. No one ever sells theirs.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Oh and you can forget about FC. As long as it's an MPV, it'll never have good FC unless it's a Avanza or Alza.
Alza la fits his requirement but then good FC but no power again.

I think best bet still Estima or maybe the Toyota Wish but the rear is not comfortable. More for kids.

Known Member
Apr 2, 2012
Nilai

Izso..agre with you...all of it almost 10 years old recon but outside look still nice. And if I can get a low mileage, it will be less problem I think.

And I'm not anti Alphard, just don't like the size. Don't like and anti is 2 different thing. Please don't get wrong.

Again agree with you on Exora.

As for Cherry, I don't think so because the resale value is bad.

Serena Hybrid very expensive lah for me. It is RM160k.

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
I know 1 mpv that very powerful but dont think it will fit your other criteria. Especially the no 5 one. Its a ford smax turbo. I never see any mpv accelerate as fast as this smax. Its really fast..

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Izso..agre with you...all of it almost 10 years old recon but outside look still nice. And if I can get a low mileage, it will be less problem I think.

And I'm not anti Alphard, just don't like the size. Don't like and anti is 2 different thing. Please don't get wrong.

Again agree with you on Exora.

Serena Hybrid very expensive lah for me. It is RM160k.
Thats the thing when buying 2nd hand. Lower mileage is most of the time better.
I'm not worry about the engine as if its well look after then it last easily last 500k km.
U r driving a turbo so i guess u know what to look for on the engine.

Have u consider the Stream?
Its 2.0 so save on roadtax.
Has the power but part tend to be pricy.

Buying the Exora Bold seems to be a gamble. my family has one and nothing is wrong so far. Went up Cameron with 6 adult and their luggage...smiling.
FC aint that bad, its how u drives it. However, engine is not the most refined around.
If not mistaken for 2012 model, value is 69k maybe less.Thats a lot of drop.

The Cherry is an underrated car.If the badge is different then its a different story.
This MPV is value for money compared to even the Wish..badge aside of course.

Known Member
Apr 2, 2012
Nilai
I know 1 mpv that very powerful but dont think it will fit your other criteria. Especially the no 5 one. Its a ford smax turbo. I never see any mpv accelerate as fast as this smax. Its really fast..
Bro, you're right on the s-max...anyway it burst my budget almost double:bawling:

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Thats the thing when buying 2nd hand. Lower mileage is most of the time better.
I'm not worry about the engine as if its well look after then it last easily last 500k km.
U r driving a turbo so i guess u know what to look for on the engine.

Have u consider the Stream?
Its 2.0 so save on roadtax.
Has the power but part tend to be pricy.

Buying the Exora Bold seems to be a gamble. my family has one and nothing is wrong so far. Went up Cameron with 6 adult and their luggage...smiling.
FC aint that bad, its how u drives it. However, engine is not the most refined around.
If not mistaken for 2012 model, value is 69k maybe less.Thats a lot of drop.

The Cherry is an underrated car.If the badge is different then its a different story.
This MPV is value for money compared to even the Wish..badge aside of course.
Honda Stream...hmmm...not bad at all.
But now I'm seriously considering Odyssey Absolute 2005 model. it gives you 200hp.
Estima now down to 2nd choice.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Bro, you're right on the s-max...anyway it burst my budget almost double:bawling:

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Honda Stream...hmmm...not bad at all.
But now I'm seriously considering Odyssey Absolute 2005 model. it gives you 200hp.
Estima now down to 2nd choice.
Prius Hybrid lo then :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You buy 2nd hand, let first owner lose most of it first....hahhahahahha:biggrin:

I have a Chery SUV bought at RM80k, the next cheapest is the Hyundai and it cost RM140k. In 5 years it might sell for RM60k only, loss of RM80k, which I can afford to lose totally, because mine only RM80k and that does not include bigger amount of loan and interest....:biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

May I now where is the best and affordable shop for car paint spray? I heard my fren spray his Kenari whole body at Kelana Jaya for just RM480..I saw the color and quality is not bad..Black color..

Any shop cheaper than that y'all know near Wangsa Maju or Ampang? RM500 is ok la..RM1000 and above is a bit nonsense lah..Kaut untung saja (pay high rent)!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience