Why use MP3s to play in the car audio system..?

raj2519

May 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I'm new to Zerotohundred..I just wondering why is it a lot of people out there spend a lot of their money buying the most advanced audio system for the beloved cars but end of the day listen to songs in MP3 format..Not forgetting the fact that burning MP3 format songs into audio CDs is actually equivalent to directly playing MP3s in your car audio..I'm asking this question in general out of curiosity..I'm sorry if I offended anyone but thats not my intention..Thank you..:idea:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
welcome welcome

read yr other post on X-overs, amps n MP3 SQ...good write up...should compose something like a FAQ n sticky it up so any ICE-ers can read up n learn some basics(i learnt some i did)

anyway, i think y most ppl prefer mp3 to digital audio cds is cos mp3s are compact and u can have a single cd with 200-300 songs. i used to like cds but found it a hassle to keep changing discs(even with a changer u still have a very limited choice of songs)...think of different moods..if bringing a chick in the car...u want il divo playing softly..while racing home on the hiway, somehing like pitbull or tiesto blasting loudly....and while bringing yr colleaques/ customers out for lunch, u want something like plain white tees n katherine mcphee playing...with mp3s, u have that choice at the fingertips...

now with usb able players, the choice u have is even more...i cant wait to get my usb able headunit...:biggrin:

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Take my personal experience for example, i downloaded hi quality mp3 from internet and burned it into audio cd format, like 18 songs in a cd? the sound quality is different... played directly by usb or mp3 cd... arg... terrible... all the details gone... there are free software available to enhance mp3 format while converting it into audio cd format... but i only did few piece for song that i can't find... most of my cd are ori... hoho... ori so much better... listen to noise will only piss me off but listen to MUSIC can control my temper...:burnout:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
haha zac...u need to keep more il divo cds in yr car. listen aredy want to sleep!

mp3 to audio cd can improve the sq?i know professional sound studios have that software...but dint know personal users also have...can share the name? can go try out this weekend hehhe

whats the bitrate u download? my minimum is 192...anything below 192 i dun touch. but wierd leh...i d/l mp3s all no noise. but of cos ori audio cds waaaaay clearer...the trebles n mids all very clearly seperated...mp3s...everything starts to get jumbled up when u turn up a little louder(my own ears say la...maybe my speakers not so good thats y heheheh)

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
Use 320kpbs loh ... the best for mp3 already .. but i only play original keke ... WAV format is another alternative if your cd player can support .. mine can

raj2519

May 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Ok..guys thanks for all your comments..and I have a few answers for a few questions which rised up here..Like what member Arturo asked..Well if you want to download MP3s from the internet, MP3s that has the higher bitrate should have the best sounding capability..But when it comes to 'bitrate' there are 2 types..1 type is called CBR ( Constant BitRate ) and VBR ( Variable BitRate )..As the name suggests CBR which has a fixed bitrate for a music file..Whereas VBR, its bitrate flatuates as the song play..The purpose of having these 2 types of bitrate format is for the users to choose whether the want to save their precious hard disk space ( CBR ) or they want quality ( VBR )..Thats about it..

Another question that Arthuro asked was about the studios that use professional software to improve mp3 to CD quality..Telling you truthfully Arthuro so far no studios use these software for this purpose..Because I as a sound engineer never seen them do this besides me..A lot of sound engineer that I have met never even went close of trying it..Maybe you might know a few who I dont know..But dont worry I will tell the names of the softwares..You can actually use Cubase , WaveLab, Nuendo, or ProTools..But the problem is in order for you to use this software you need to have a hardware studio sound card like M-Audio which can cost you like RM2000 or studio console that comes with a soundcard built-in like DigiDesign which can cost you like RM8000..I know the price and name because I have worked on them..Buying them is not the big deal for those who have the cash but searching and buying the right plugins to use them is the big deal..Without plugins this software including the soundcard are useless..Lets say if someone has all this but without the right knowlegde on sound engineering is useless too..I'm telling you this based on my experience last time trying to play with these softwares when I knew nuts about sound engineering..I basically ended making MP3 sound worst then they already are..

And another reason why studio sound engineers try their level best not to listen MP3s is because since all MP3s clip, they can actually spoil their studio monitors..Studio monitors are speakers that are built to handle clipping and they do not 'freqency fold' which means one frequency band 'overtake' the other frequency band..i think many of us would have came across this situation..When you playing a song in your car or computer speakers..when you put the volume low you could actually here the bass but as you increase louder and louder the midrange and highs becomes louder than the bass..so what usually we do is we increase the bass in the equalizer so that the bass can be heard at high volumes and vice versa..This is what we call frequency folding..The speakers that we are listening the music limits the one band of frequency to allow the other band of frequencies to rise up..Studio monitors are built to eliminate this problem because when it comes to sound production and sound engineering frequency folding problem is a No No..Even studio monitors which are built to handle these sort of problem can still spoil if MP3 are played overtime on through them just imagine your car speakers..

Anyways I understand why we all download MP3s..sometimes not all the songs in an original CD is nice..we might like maybe 1 or 2 songs and for that 1 or 2 songs we have to spend a lot of cash..Since we can download, we might as well just download it..end of the day we save space and cash..I know this because I too download songs..But the result is that MP3s are damaging to our speakers due to its overloading of frequency signals ( CLIP )..So if you need help on cleaning them, pm and I'll help you..Just remember one thing even some original CDs clip..Like the latest Pitbull and Usher-Raymond vs Raymond which I bought also Clips because I have checked it..Thats why I prefer checking the songs first even its an original CD and cleaning them before re-burning them into a new CD..At least my original CD stays brand-new condition..

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

For reference you can check out from my blog at http://raj-mastering.vox.com and click on the icon that says 'For Zerotohundred viewing'..you will find two song files :

1. Sexy Chick-Cleaned
2. Secy Chick-MP3

Play the both songs and you will find out that the Cleaned version of the song Sexy Chick will sound titer and smoother than the MP3 version. What i've done is that i've removed the DC offset in the MP3 and lowered its volume to -0.1 dB so that the song got more 'room' to breath when its volume is pushed louder.

Last edited:

Areoulz

Known Member
Aug 2, 2005
Malaysia
mp3 work just fine for me. plus with iPod capable players, thousand songs just a couple jogged away. whether it by artist, album, genre or just personal favorites. And I don't want my glove box turn into mini jukebox just to store my the entire CD's collections.

Unlike a dog or cat (or even batman) with ultra hearing sensitivity, normal 128kbps mp3's work fine with my human ear..

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

mp3 work just fine for me. plus with iPod capable players, thousand songs just a couple jogged away. whether it by artist, album, genre or just personal favorites. And I don't want my glove box turn into mini jukebox just to store my the entire CD's collections.

Unlike a dog or cat (or even batman) with ultra hearing sensitivity, normal 128kbps mp3's work fine with my human ear..

gt6334a

Sep 10, 2010
Penang
in one word, convenience.

i don't just listen to pristine audiophile recorded stuff.. i have lectures and shows downloaded from itunes that i listen to.. radio shows from US (NPR stuff) or seminars..

on the music side, i guess my current system is either not able to resolve the differences or i'm just not picky anymore.. :) i used to listen purely on vinyl (found the CD sound too harsh, yeah isn't it ironic... :biggrin: ) on my home audio stuff but i have that up more than a decade ago..

hardBass4u

Known Member
Jul 23, 2006
J.B& P.J
Original CD VS MP3= can feel the different even judge by normal human ears.:biggrin:
For me, I will get MP3 for those new songs and once confirm for the song I like, I definitely will seek for original CD...:love:

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
err... so.. does this mean all current digital music players/device, or so call mp3 player and ipods produces inferior quality sound output if compare to old-school CDplayer/CDwalkman ?
Or is it current technology of the sound processing by these digital player is getting more and more advanced to chase-up close to a proper piece of audio device ?
noob here... correct me if i am wrong..
:)

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
its more about software than hardware, the music source more than the device.

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Dude, if the file is mp3 then burning it as an audio cd is not going to make a difference. The fact that it's an mp3 even if its 320kbps means it's already a compromise. If you were really into music, wouldn't your music collection be in FLAC/lossless formats?

Plus, it's just something to listen to while you drive. If you can hear the music above the sound of your exhaust that is. :driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there all,
Just wanted some expert opinion on whether I should turbo charge my Honda Accord year model 2001? I like the size and everything but I feel some lack in the power side hence, my interest to give it a little boost.
I have even opted for other cars in the market such as Caldina, Legacy, etc...but none of em' actually fits in my bill in terms of cost and have quite content with the Accord which I have however, as mentioned, I just need a little boost with it.
Would...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience