What is the Different between Track & Road Use Sport Cars?

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Hi Sifus,
What is the Different between Track & Road Use Sport Cars? Im refering about the condition of it (chassis, engine, etc) and not about the legality of the cars.

What is the most disadvantage about frequent track used cars and non tract use car?

Please advise.

Thank you.

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
This can become a very long answer.

Simply put, a track car doesn't need any sort of practicality or comfort.... it just needs to be as light as possible, and as fast as possible.

farique

500 RPM
Jan 22, 2005
Klang
Visit site
What is the most disadvantage about frequent track used cars and non tract use car?
I'm trying to grab the whole meaning of that sentence.

1. The most dis-advantage of frequent track used cars
2. The most dis-advantage of non-track use cars

:smokin:

Ok, I'm done smoking. If I'm right, you were asking what are the bad side of 'frequent track sportscar' and 'non-track sportscar' ?

Logically thinking, the track sportscar will have endured so much torture to the chassis, transmission (gearbox, clutches etc), suspension, engine. Or in short, everything. But of course, this depends on the "frequent-ness" of the car being on the track and the limit of the torture the car can take.

If the car is a pure track car only meant for track (not road legal), Only God knows how much the car being tortured on track by the driver, the tarmac, the pebbles, and the grass.. oh wait, not forgetting the love taps from other cars. :biggrin:

These cars are high maintenance type of car. Remember the rule no.30, paragraph 2 on page 54; High maintenance = Big money.

for a non-track use car, it's basically it's just what it is. Never being tortured or anything. Just like a car got off from the showroom. Unlike track car, you can maintain it normally and no big money involved (unless you break something that is expensive like gearbox for example).

so, is that the answer you looking for? I hope that'll clear your doubts. :tee:

NISMO S-TUNE

1,000 RPM
Dec 9, 2008
In a very simple explanation, inside a track car will be "kosong" and ugly with wire all over the car. While on the normal sports car, it is fully loaded with nice things and no wire can be seen all over the car like what you see on the road or at a show room. Better this way?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
The answer can fill an entire book LOL.

In short, a road use car (I'm assuming performance) is basically a car that is faster than your average car however its more often than not built with a budget in mind therefore compromises between outright performance and cost will always be there. Secondly, there has to be some form of emission laws, crash/impact requirements not to mention the countless other laws that vary from country to country. On top of that, road cars have creature comforts such as air-con, radio and a simple radio at the very least. They also have softer handling, more restrictive exhaust etc from factory.

However, all of that can be modified which is what we all do best. Even so, there are certain limits to which a person would modify a car that he/she uses both on road and at track days as opposed to a proper purpose built track car.

A track car would usually be built to compete in a certain class/type of racing be it drag or circuit and therefore would need to comply to the rules and regulations of the race, its organizers etc (FIA, ANDRA, etc). These tend to be more stringent and often quite specific and I can assure you that a car that fully complies is not one you would drive daily cause it would in turn be illegal in the eyes of the JPJ. What is legal/required for the track is not always legal for the road. What is legal for the road is ok for track days, etc but for proper competitive racing more work would be needed.

Also, track cars are usually not registered but there are two ways of doing this. The proper way would be to obtain the proper paperwork and import a car for motorsports use only. The dodgy way we all know by now. The advantages of doing it properly is not living in fear of your car being impounded by Customs, etc. However, for certain types of motorsports (rally) I think you must have a road registered car because the cars travel on public roads in between the rally stages. Regardless of whether they meet road laws, they must still be road registered in their home country. Don't quote me on the rallying laws cause its been awhile since I've followed rallying.

Hope this helps somewhat. I know its not comprehensive, as I'm typing I can think of 1000 other things to say but my fingers aren't as cooperative.

derrickho

Known Member
Jul 11, 2008
wow.... really long explanation....great!!!! u r the man pimpin......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
But wat is the average price diffrent between road legal track frequent used car and non used track car? Examp : S15 road legal frequent track used car and Non used track S15?

Last edited:

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
That's a great explanation Pimpin.

:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

But wat is the average price diffrent between road legal track frequent used car and non used track car? Examp : S15 road legal frequent track used car and Non used track S15?

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
Easy, any car frequently used on-track should be A LOT CHEAPER than the same car that has never gone on tracks.

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
track spec car.. no comfort at all
street car.. comfort

Track car value vs Registered car value

is based on halfcut..
normally just double the halfcut price
then you can guess what is your track car value ( standard )
not include labour to weld and this that la

track car vs registered car
double the track car value then you get the roughly registered road car value

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Hi Sifus,
What is the Different between Track & Road Use Sport Cars? Im refering about the condition of it (chassis, engine, etc) and not about the legality of the cars.

Please advise.

Thank you.
I'll put it in point form.

- No need for interior trim. Any flammable material such as carpet, trim and cushion need to be removed, and all fabrics present need to be fire retardant. No potential projectiles should be present in the car. So your full line-up of Shell Ferraris can't be on the dashboard. Full bucket seats, minimal of 4-point 3-inch harness are standard.
- No need for ICE and other convenience feature such as aircond, power window, door lock etc. Instead, wiring design are aimed to be easy access and direct. 6 pole kill switch, visible fuse panels and flick switches are common. Gauges are also mounted at easily visible areas, whereas for a road car, you might want to hide the RSM in the glove compartment.
- Chassis rigidity. You want minimal body flex. Road cars are designed with some torsional flex for comfort so that your girlfriend doesn't complain. Whereas for a track car, stitch welded chassis, extra sport welding, welded rollcages is almost compulsory.
- Light weight or should i say balanced weight. Replacing certain bodyparts to save weight or to balance weight such as light weight bonnets (which aids cooling as well), acrylic windows, etc.
- Suspension tuning. Suspension in track cars are tuned to take corners, whereas suspension in road cars are tuned to take potholes.
- Engine tuning. Track cars are tuned for maximum reliability for certain race period, whereas road cars are tuned for maximum reliabity to last as long as possible and in the mean time having good response and reasonable fuel efficiency.

...I think the list can still go on forever, but lets keep it at a minimum for now. :P

Qke

Jan 2, 2009
Hi Guys,
thank you for yr superb sharing and ive got the info's i wanted to know.

I think we should stop at this point and Thanks again for all forumers who share their kind advise.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

is there any existant of mitsubishi 1.6 turbo in malaysia, "if" any, what model is it, how much price of the engine??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience