wat is the right size for sgti piping

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
Currently,my gti is in all ori condition,which means 1 catalytic,2 center box (first one big,second one small),then to the twin tail pipe muffler.
so i m planning to remove the catalytic(then replace by one silencer) n the 2 center box,wat diameter should i use for piping,some say 2 inch good but more fuel consumption,some say 1.75 inch good n less fuel,i really blur.N also wats the piping size is normally use in track?

If i wan to change the muffler,is the oval type better or the N-1 type better.

MILLION APPRECIATE OF UR ADVICE.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Our original piping are press bent, some parts are 1.7" while some other are almost 2"... a consistently 2" one would be pretty good for everyday driving I think.
Get a S-flow type muffler for your end exhaust, one that looks like our original muffler but with only one outlet. The N-1 straight flow type may drive you nuts, unless you like loud exhausts noise. :D

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
remove d CAT by install an extractor wit 2" piping from front to end.....but some suggest 1.8" coz 2.0" will los some power( Not Sure)...

by removing CAT..ur cat will be response better coz CAT is damn heavy n big....haha

n it is not so suggest to put in straight flow muffler ( for turbo mostly) so S-flow will be better.........tis is my view (corect me if im wrong)....ok?

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
doesnt hot bits make a kit for the sgti? which isnt a s-flow exhaust? the s-flow is just like the twin outlet gti exhaust right just with 1 pipe instead of two? i myself am looking for a good exhaust kit for my gti but want something well muffled and low hump at high rpm with good power gain. and of course something i wont have to replace should i decide on forced induction kits...

euthanasia

Known Member
Jan 3, 2004
a

i think the optimum piping if u're going for press bent is 2.25 inch. coz some part will be 2 inch.

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
deacon
yes speedworks do have exhaust kit for SGTI. the piping is 2". sound is very quiet. good for midrange power.

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
huakenny said:
remove d CAT by install an extractor wit 2" piping from front to end.....but some suggest 1.8" coz 2.0" will los some power( Not Sure)...

by removing CAT..ur cat will be response better coz CAT is damn heavy n big....haha

n it is not so suggest to put in straight flow muffler ( for turbo mostly) so S-flow will be better.........tis is my view (corect me if im wrong)....ok?
sorry for my stupidness, wat is CAT ?

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
euthanasia said:
i think the optimum piping if u're going for press bent is 2.25 inch. coz some part will be 2 inch.
HUh, 2.25 too big la (fuel consuming la)
Anyway,thanks for ur post.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
set! speedworks it is then ;) ... got another question. i feel like my gti is having trouble getting to 6k rpm. i know thats where all usable power comes to a drop but is it supposed to be like that? has anyone changed any parts and piggy backed with s-afc had this improve or still the same?

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
Speedwork=hot bits , m i rite???
very mahal! 2k for the whole exhaust system ,as long as i can remember.
So ,does any1 no wat piping size is used in GTI track car?

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
bro gggti,

the set costs about RM1k+ only

btw R3 also using hotbits right? but the mid section is a bit different (using cat)

deacon,
can u ask speedwork if group buy got discount or not? :D

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
i have no idea hehe i guess i might

tombstone

1,000 RPM
Mar 1, 2005
deacon said:
set! speedworks it is then ;) ... got another question. i feel like my gti is having trouble getting to 6k rpm. i know thats where all usable power comes to a drop but is it supposed to be like that? has anyone changed any parts and piggy backed with s-afc had this improve or still the same?
bro...have u changed ur extractor? air filter?

change it first, then u can rev till 7k smoothly la :)

cos the ori extractors still quite restrictive... so u can mix and match ..

for eg, for my car, i m using powerzone extractor and hotbitz mids to exit.

hotbits mid got 2 box therefore very very quiet kit...still got a bit of growl but very quiet and nice to drive wif..:)
Recommended....u pay for what u get :)

juz my fitty cent...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
2nd hand Hotbits Exhaust system

If u are lucky, u can find people disposing off their hotbits system. I got mine for RM300 from mid to tailpipe. The flow of the exhaust gas is so much smoother.. that u can rev easier. The sound is also not bad.... it's not loud when u cruise at low speed thru your neighborhood. But the moment u push the pedal to the metal... then the exhaust note will change to a louder one.

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
sup tombstone. no i haven't yet changed anything as i just bought the car. not only that but i already know what i have to change first. my tire 'cos its flat :( and hopefully it hasn't warped my rim :P aside from that i was thinking of modding the whole extractor out to exhaust at the same time. just one time save up and whack straight.

MaNofWaR

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2003
On the AiR
Visit site
dear deacon
if u really wanna do that (save n get the best) u can consider doing like i did...
my exhaust system upgrades was only done after lots of scutineering & homework.
the system i'm using is using mivec headers with 2.5" all the way with 2 mids & 2 muffler. Straight as it is cos i'm using the 4WD fuel tank to accomodate the system. Still it looks not much diff than the ori ones. as i say save first cost it really cost a hole in my wallet...hehe. but its proven on dyno increase of approx 12hp on wheel. u know what...with the setup i have now... i can even still support if i plan to plonk a GSR engine to it...but i'll stick to NA. Soundwise its just slightly bass-er than the hotbits full system.

thats just my oppinion....everyone has their own preferences.... all depends on how much ur willing to trade..... anyway...interested to join the SGTi Club?

cheers mate

euthanasia

Known Member
Jan 3, 2004
manowar,

U're running 4g93P...so big piping got lag ar at low revs? You done any other mods to your engine or not?
What 4WD fuel tank u have in your car? Can reveal how much u bought aer? wanna know market price...

millincoll

Known Member
Sep 21, 2004
Visit site
gti and its exhaust....

i think gti exhaust should be about 2 inch only...........
more than that....only for those forced inducted cars.....
the thing about exhaust playing a part on performance is basically not that
noticeable.....
kalau nak power ...taruk turbo ....
habis citer.....
but if ur thinking about na only.....
then just take out the cat and the silencer ....
BUT...
use the ori muffler.....
it looks better than those hotbits one.....
and perhaps change the extractor to those POWERZONE ones...
they do sound convincing enough .....
hahahhaha......
although time aku gi sana usha benda tuh ...
they all sound like a bit fishy and i think i was about to be conned....
so i opted not to buy on that day.....:).....
lain kali lah.....

MaNofWaR

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2003
On the AiR
Visit site
dear euthanasia...
yes i'm running on 4g93p...
i've done up most of my car but to a point that its driveable for daily use
the tanks i'm using is the GSR tanks which allow the exhaust piping to go straight to the rear end (unlike some who have their piping below the tank barely touching the ground)

anyway my car is in Hypertune mag this month... feel free to read about the mods i've done & oh yeah...my exhaust system is around 2k(expensive but it churns out approx 12hp on wheels....its tested & i've even compared to remus & hotbits) and it looks similar to stock except there are 2 mufflers instead of one horizontally

cheers

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
sup Manowar,
i just lost to a 99 gti with a muffler piping kit as mentioned in my post topic. i definately die die want to get my basic done soon. intake headers exhaust and all. hopefully by then i will have money left over to get a s-afc and piggy back it for a while until i can afford the sc hehehhehe ;)

how do i join the sgti club? is this the same one that has its own site?

Last edited:

zero tolerance

1,000 RPM
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
hey i'm also driving an sgti and was previouly using the hotbits exhaust system. This included full piping and also the muffler. The power comes in midrange but the sound is a bit too quiet for me...this is probably due to the 2 center box that comes with the set...i paid 650 for that set. Didn't get the extractor though, was told that hotbits extractor causes a "clunking" noise because the joints do not fit exactly. Currently using a custom exhaust, 2" following original route but a straightflow muffler with 2.25 inlet

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

No it’s not a radio-controlled replica made by the boffins at Nismo, it’s a super-hardcore track-ready version of the Nissan GT-R designed to endure the brutal paint-swapping of the world’s most gruelling races.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience