tyres...

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
achor said:
what's the best tyre to use in a track? not so expensive one la. budget racer. i know that normal road tires will 'koyak' if use in the track. so, what do u guys suggest? falken semi slick? advan ad07? or any other slick tyres? n what's the for these tyres?
ok, if youre out there on a track day looking to race with others or post a super fast lap time, then you can skip what i have to say below.

if you're a budget racer, and new to track days. i recommend you stick to standard, cheaper road tyres. Its better for you, especially if you're just starting out. The experience you gain from driving your cheap tyres on the limit will help you improve when you eventually upgrade to better tyres. Never let equipment be a substitute for good basic driver ability. The experience you gain will also help you out on the road, and make you a better driver.

always keep it smooth. dont work too hard on the steering, always try to be at the right speed for each corner.
most newcomers push too hard, and end up destroying their tyres. whether you use expensive tyres or cheap tyres, your driving style dictates how long they last. Just coz you buy expensive performance tyres doesnt mean they wont succumb to premature and excessive wear.

drive with whatever you have, and upgrade from there. you'll appreciate the gains even more when you get them.

all the best :)

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
gary said:
ok, if youre out there on a track day looking to race with others or post a super fast lap time, then you can skip what i have to say below.

if you're a budget racer, and new to track days. i recommend you stick to standard, cheaper road tyres. Its better for you, especially if you're just starting out. The experience you gain from driving your cheap tyres on the limit will help you improve when you eventually upgrade to better tyres. Never let equipment be a substitute for good basic driver ability. The experience you gain will also help you out on the road, and make you a better driver.

always keep it smooth. dont work too hard on the steering, always try to be at the right speed for each corner.
most newcomers push too hard, and end up destroying their tyres. whether you use expensive tyres or cheap tyres, your driving style dictates how long they last. Just coz you buy expensive performance tyres doesnt mean they wont succumb to premature and excessive wear.

drive with whatever you have, and upgrade from there. you'll appreciate the gains even more when you get them.

all the best :)
Well said..... You have a point.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
cossie said:
hey... gimme your phone number. next time there is a gathering at kinrara curry house, i'll call you.
Hi cossie,

How did you I know I hang out at Kinrara Curry House? Are you referring to the one in Bandar Sri Damansara?

019-2710000

cossie

Known Member
May 10, 2004
MY
cossie.blogspot.com
KCH at BSD

julianpang said:
Hi cossie,

How did you I know I hang out at Kinrara Curry House? Are you referring to the one in Bandar Sri Damansara?

019-2710000
yes KCH at BSD. we meet up with moses.

i hope you like ICE.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
julian,
did you toe-out ur RR and toe-in ur FR? just wondering...cause that's what i did la. apparently mild oversteer mah.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
whatdamn said:
julian,
did you toe-out ur RR and toe-in ur FR? just wondering...cause that's what i did la. apparently mild oversteer mah.
Front: Toe Out
Rear: 0 Toe

With the combination of tyres I was using, I get oversteer. So I had to adjust my driving style to suit it. If it was neutral that day, I would probably be faster.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
julian,
icic, now i'm a little confused, fr toe in and rr toe out produces oversteer or is it vice versa? (say fr and rr are the same performance tyres)

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Last edited:

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Front toe-out gives u faster turn-in response, at the expense of stability at speed. Good for auto-x.

A

achor

ok² thanx u guys for all the infos... lets say that i'm driving an FF car, should i pick a set of better front tyres than the back? or should i pick the same tyres for front n rear? for example, ad07 for front n maybe es100 for the back. a lot of my friends says that yoko tyres have soft side wall.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
well, you can have diff tyres for front and the rear, but you must know the amount of grip each tyre provides, some might cause you having an understeering setup, some might give you a more oversteering setup, like how uncle julian did for his car, BTW, all the best this coming SSO in penang :D

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how does having a larger intercooler piping,lets say 4" , bigger plenum and bigger throttle helps in gaining performance? how would it affect otherwise? heard that it will bogged down like hell if things are not done properly. very interested in it.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience