tyres...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
399 said:
u guys might wanna give toyo r888 a thinker..... it's in a class above ad07 in term of grip.
the r888 looks sweet!! are these available in Malaysia... where can you get them??

But i think these are in a different class with the AD07's... the AD07's are full fledge street radials... the r888, eventhough is street legal... it more for racetrack junkies... i think its in a class with the azenis RT215

heres alink to the r888... sweet man...

http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/pc_forms/r888.html

A

achor

cool article dude. there's even an article about driving in rain. given the weather these days. cool dude.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
FTZ Type RR - Update on test result

I have finally put it in my car 3 hours ago for this weekend Autocross.

So far I only drove my car for 20km with the tyres. I am still in the process of scrubbing it in.

My feedback so far is.....
1. At 15km on the clock, I drove a little bit wild in an industrial area. The grip was damn good and definitely better than my AD07. It should be better after it has been fully scrubbed in. I am planning to achieve at least 100km (normal driving) before I race on Sunday.

2. Noise level sucks and damn kaw noisy. But I dont mind since I will only be using it for races in Autocross and SSO. At about 80km/h, it sounded like those Land Rover tyres.

I will update later after Sunday's race. By then, it should be fully broken in and will perform at its best.

Last edited:

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Silverstone Type RR test result update

julianpang said:
I have finally put it in my car 3 hours ago for this weekend Autocross.

So far I only drove my car for 20km with the tyres. I am still in the process of scrubbing it in.

My feedback so far is.....
1. At 15km on the clock, I drove a little bit wild in an industrial area. The grip was damn good and definitely better than my AD07. It should be better after it has been fully scrubbed in. I am planning to achieve at least 100km (normal driving) before I race on Sunday.

2. Noise level sucks and damn kaw noisy. But I dont mind since I will only be using it for races in Autocross and SSO. At about 80km/h, it sounded like those Land Rover tyres.

I will update later after Sunday's race. By then, it should be fully broken in and will perform at its best.
I have completed Autocross last Sunday with the tyres. The surface has lots of loose gravel. To my surprise, the tyres really grips. I started out all the rounds in cold tyres. Even with cold tyres, the grip was much better than AD07. I bet if I were to heat in up properly, it would have been better. Coming out of corner in 1st gear was a dream. It sticks to the ground better than AD07 even in loose gravel.

On the race day, Russel Palmer from Silverstone was there. He was nice enough to feed me some info on TypeRR. Apparently he said there are 2 types of TypeRR in Malaysian market. 1 is soft compound and the other is medium compound. The one I had on is medium compound. There is a way to differetiate the 2. If you look at the sidewall, 575 is soft and 578 is medium. He recommend me to get the soft compound for Autocross. The medium compound will be more suitable for track use. I am very happy with even with medium compound. I cant imagine if I were to run it with soft compound. Russel mentioned that the TypeRR has more rubber than other Silverstone semi slicks model.

Last edited:

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
MK84 said:
Julian, where/how much did u get the Type RRs?
For 195/50/15. it is RM290 at SS3, Hup Shun Tyres. That is damn cheap. Other places are like RM330. Other sizes, I donno how much.

According to the Silverstone guy at Autocross, he said this model only comes in 14, 15 & 17 inch.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
julianpang said:
......On the race day, Robert Palmer from Silverstone was there. He was nice enough to feed me some info on TypeRR. .....
Russell Palmer will be so happy you mistake him for the rock singer Robert Palmer :D hehehe

I knew Russell from my days at Clark Hatch. Nice guy!

Did Russell say what's the estimated mileage of the Type RR (medium) on normal road use?

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Kookaburra said:
Russell Palmer will be so happy you mistake him for the rock singer Robert Palmer :D hehehe

I knew Russell from my days at Clark Hatch. Nice guy!

Did Russell say what's the estimated mileage of the Type RR (medium) on normal road use?
Oh shit..... You are right. I got his name wrong. It is Russel Palmer.

I did not ask him about the miledge for road use.

But trust me, you do not want to use it for everyday driving. It is noisy as hell. It is as loud as Land Rover tyres. It was bad enough initially when I put it in. After I used it for 1 day at Autocross, it became even louder.

For thread wear, I would say quite alright compared to AD07. I am comparing this based on the same Autocross location and surface.

Russel did say that the TypeRR has more rubber than other series of Silverstone semi slicks tyres. I measured the TypeRR when I bought and it was about over 5mm (from groove) worth of thread. For AD07, it was about 7mm new.

To me, 5.x mm is not a problem as long as it bites the road. Overall, I am happy with it. I will take it off my car today and keep for next event. Then I will put back my AD07 for road use.

crazykid

Known Member
Feb 22, 2005
somewhere on earth
Visit site
So basicly putting it into simple words...Type RR is better then AD07 la :) but i dont get the part about the land rover thingie,seriously that loud? Julian before you met up with Russel Palmer were you aware about the soft and medium compound on the market? or you main tembak the compound :p

Any recomendation for 13" tyres? i used ducaro ga for SSO,so-so since i could go side ways with it --.--"