tyres...

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
ahhaa, yeah, went sideways almost hitting a curb but never miss the billboard :P ekkekeke..during the SSO i was using bridgestone premio, not too bad for the grip part, im loving it :D ekkeekekke

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
crazykid said:
So basicly putting it into simple words...Type RR is better then AD07 la :) but i dont get the part about the land rover thingie,seriously that loud? Julian before you met up with Russel Palmer were you aware about the soft and medium compound on the market? or you main tembak the compound :p

Any recomendation for 13" tyres? i used ducaro ga for SSO,so-so since i could go side ways with it --.--"
Before I met Russell, I knew nothing about the compound.

I dont think you can find good performance tyres for 13" size.

I think performance tyres starts from 14" onwards.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
julianpang said:
I think performance tyres starts from 14" onwards.
not if u are driving old skool british mini. :D

175/50R13 very hard to find. either sime tyres astar prima or continental contisport contact 2...

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
julianpang,
just wondering, for the kks autocross that day, i noticed you used the type-RR infront and ad07's at the back...wouldn't it be better if type-RR were used all round? planning to purchase a set for the next autocross :) didn't get a chance to say 'hi' to you cause u look garang hahah :P

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
whatdamn said:
julianpang,
just wondering, for the kks autocross that day, i noticed you used the type-RR infront and ad07's at the back...wouldn't it be better if type-RR were used all round? planning to purchase a set for the next autocross :) didn't get a chance to say 'hi' to you cause u look garang hahah :P
I where got look garang? I dont bite wan.

It may not be necessarily better to use in all round. This is a very subjective question. It depends on your driving style, layout design and surface. Some prefer oversteer setting and some may not. For me, I chose that combination because:

1. KKS Autocross is well known for their tight 180 degree and sometimes 360 degree cone hugging turns. My style to tackle those corners is to utilize handbrake. Some just drive around it. Thats why I chose lesser grip tyres in the rear. If I were to use the RR in the rear, I dont think I can do good in those type of turns.

2. KKS layout in Shah Alam is usually full of tight turns. Slight oversteer setting is faster for me. This may not apply to other drivers.

3. This is a brand new model which launched about 2 months ago. I wasnt sure about the performance. Many people used for track but non used for Autocross. I was worried that it may not be suitable for autocross. To be safe I bought 2 first and become the first guinea pig to use it in Autocross. Now I can tell you that it is DAMN SUITABLE for autocross. Traction was noticebly better than AD07 even running with cold tyres. Traction also better in loose gravel section compared to AD07.

Go get it.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
ah okok thanks man. will approach you the next round...i think the next will be GRA one right? since sponsored by BFGoodrich..so no need to go out and buy the tyres yet lor.

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
whatdamn said:
ah okok thanks man. will approach you the next round...i think the next will be GRA one right? since sponsored by BFGoodrich..so no need to go out and buy the tyres yet lor.
I dont think they will sponsor drivers tyres. However, there are tyres to be won.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
julianpang,
ah icic. well then time to make a trip to hup soon! i try to shy from that place cause of forummers who've posted that they've crashed a subaru imprezza before...but i guess a tyre change won't be that bad kua :P anyways, i'm currently running a mild oversteer setup on my titans too. umm, just wondering what spring rates are u running eh?

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
whatdamn said:
julianpang,
ah icic. well then time to make a trip to hup soon! i try to shy from that place cause of forummers who've posted that they've crashed a subaru imprezza before...but i guess a tyre change won't be that bad kua :P anyways, i'm currently running a mild oversteer setup on my titans too. umm, just wondering what spring rates are u running eh?
There are 2 Hup Shun's. 1)Sunway 2)SS3, PJ

The one who crashed the Impreza is the one in Sunway. The Sunway shop is very expensive. The Hup Shun I usually go to is the one in SS3. Their prices are much cheaper.

I am using 6kg in front. The back is 5kg.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
julianpang said:
There are 2 Hup Shun's. 1)Sunway 2)SS3, PJ

The one who crashed the Impreza is the one in Sunway. The Sunway shop is very expensive. The Hup Shun I usually go to is the one in SS3. Their prices are much cheaper.

I am using 6kg in front. The back is 5kg.
ah icic. will check out the other for another quote, cause the sunway branch quoted me rm360 per tyre...then when i asked for rock bottom price, they said once i confirm purchase then only they'll state the final price. ish so mafan.

hmmm, mine's 5kg fr 4kg rr...will wait for roll cage then will increase the spring rates. :D afraid i'll overdamp the current chassis setup.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hehe, yeah lorr....unc julian looks kinda scary yeah, crazykid? kekeke :P buthen he is still champion larrr.... :D the one and only powerpacked 1.6 wira in autocrosss.....not forgetting SSO also.......!!! butthen think of it huh, SSO seems like alot easier compared to this autocross, is it?? cause i oni joined in the SSO, so erm, dunno how autocross feels like yet :P ekekkeke....

btw, lets say im using the same tyres i use for SSO and all for daily driving, no problem wan rite?

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
gavan said:
hehe, yeah lorr....unc julian looks kinda scary yeah, crazykid? kekeke :P buthen he is still champion larrr.... :D the one and only powerpacked 1.6 wira in autocrosss.....not forgetting SSO also.......!!! butthen think of it huh, SSO seems like alot easier compared to this autocross, is it?? cause i oni joined in the SSO, so erm, dunno how autocross feels like yet :P ekekkeke....

btw, lets say im using the same tyres i use for SSO and all for daily driving, no problem wan rite?
Please la.... I am not champion la. There are faster drivers in 1.6 class than me espeaclially SSO.

You can use the same tyres for daily driving and SSO/Autocross. No problem at all. In fact, most of us use the same set for street and Autocross/SSO.

Just remember that Autocross/SSO is grass root racing whereby people race with minimal budget.

Last edited:

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
ekeke, yeah lorr....me very tight on budget, ekekke :P need to adjust my camber adi lor if i wanna join in the next event, my tyres with ori camber now i see it like one sided botak adi... :(

julianpang

500 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
gavan said:
ekeke, yeah lorr....me very tight on budget, ekekke :P need to adjust my camber adi lor if i wanna join in the next event, my tyres with ori camber now i see it like one sided botak adi... :(
Yes. You need more camber. Before the next event, ask tyre ppl to flip the tyre aound so that the botak side face inside.

I am not sure about your car but I did camber of -2 degree in front and -1 rear for my car.