Transplanting an R34 GTR engine into R34 GTT

rovingboy

Dec 3, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Has anyone got experience of swapping the GTT's stock engine for the GTR - both R34? I am considering the upgrade at the moment and wondering if it is worth the cost. Actually the problem I am trying to solve is the gearbox performance on the GTT - a stock auto. After some tuning to around 280 hp I am getting trouble from the gearbox.

• A/T light comes on after spirited driving. Clears when engine stopped and restarted,
  • stuck in third when trying to push past 140kph,
  • revs dropping to tick over speed despite car doing 100kph when releasing throttle in D,
  • revs soaring when accelerating hard in 2nd (say) but car remains at steady speed.
  • slow, delayed changes up when accelerating hard, causing engine to red-line and complain loudly
  • etc etc.

Not pretty.

Maybe the gearbox needs an overhaul, but I would prefer to swap it for a manual, of course. But the manual I have sourced is currently attached to the back of an RB26DETT and the suggestion was made to take the engine too and "drop it in". I want to tune the GTT further, so need to plan for more hp.

Option 1. - overhaul the autobox (once fixed, is it capable of handling 300+ hp?)
Option 2. - find a GTT manual gearbox (but can't trace at the moment)
Option 3. - Put in the GTR gearbox I have at the moment (any known problems, issues?)
Option 4. - Put in GTR gearbox and engine, get more power, better tuning platform, 6-speed gearbox, etc

Option 4 seems to be it :-) Seriously, though, this is going to cost $$$. What should engine + box from a half-cut cost?

Anybody see the obvious solution hiding in there as it isn't clear to me!

Thanks

chimaera1855

1,500 RPM
Sep 10, 2007
i swaped an RB26 in my cefiro with over 5**hp++ with rb25 gearbox no problem at all.dont bother keeping ur auto trans u ll get too much problems with it.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Hi rovingboy.

Wrt your slush box issue, have you change the ATF and ATF filter since you bought the car? Might help to check the solenoids as well.

I guess the sensible option is to convert to a manual tranny and keep the RB25DET. Yes you might be able to plonk in the RB26DETT (costs a bomb!) but the Getrag 6 speeder (costs a bomb too!) will not be able to fit the ER34. So you'll still have to run on a 5 speeder.

heterodyne

Known Member
Jul 2, 2007
sounds like a clutch plate worn causing clutch slippage, nothing serious and nothing to do with gearbox.

rovingboy

Dec 3, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
sounds like a clutch plate worn causing clutch slippage, nothing serious and nothing to do with gearbox.
I am revealing my ignorance here, but does an auto box have a clutch plate ..?

Does anyone have experience installing and using a shift kit (sold by MV automatics in Adelaide, Australia) They get rave reviews there for reducing the shift time, and the ozzies seem to think their auto boxes with this kit are faster than manuals (cos the boost doesn't drop between gears)

The kit upgrades the valves thus making the changes faster, but sometimes clunkier

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
I am revealing my ignorance here, but does an auto box have a clutch plate ..?

Does anyone have experience installing and using a shift kit (sold by MV automatics in Adelaide, Australia) They get rave reviews there for reducing the shift time, and the ozzies seem to think their auto boxes with this kit are faster than manuals (cos the boost doesn't drop between gears)

The kit upgrades the valves thus making the changes faster, but sometimes clunkier
auto still got plates inside.....try do a proper maintenance job to the auto trans 1st....the issues u mentioned mostly is slippage.....

kaminari

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Taiping
ok that's the plan. gear box being serviced now. thanks
Good to hear that, but i`m not sure they will change the wet clutch maybe perhaps a common
overhaul....cleaning, change gasket/seal and kasi air spray skit....then the bill comes~ Berapa?RM800???wahlau....hehe

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com
Basically it boils down to what you want,if you prefer manual then go for the swap but its auto that you prefer then there are many options. The MV shift kit helps you to shift fast and hard (not much rpm drop)You must remember this is not enough cause you need to strenghtened your tranny/ install high stall converter..your stock 34gtt a/t tranny should be able to handle about 300bhp without any problems

rovingboy

Dec 3, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
ok. i am going to continue with auto and see. On the Australian forums they debate a lot whether auto is faster than manual or not, and even use auto boxes for drag racing, so mine should get me to Bukit Bintang :-)
The car is back from the workshop, but I haven't experimented yet. I am still <300bhp so alright there - thanks for tip on high speed stall torque converter... will investigate.

MV from Adelaide, Oz, quoted me A$535 for a Valve Body to "improve shift speed and the strength of the trans". Also they do high performance servo for A$285 to "improve the shift quality and strength further". Well I think I'll order one, and report back here on the outcome. thanks

heterodyne

Known Member
Jul 2, 2007
trust me, auto gearboxes are faster. I know of one street car that ran a B&M auto shifter that ran 9 sec in an official 400m drag race. People that still insist that manuals are faster on the drag really have no clue what they're missing(until they try the real thing)

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
ok. i am going to continue with auto and see. On the Australian forums they debate a lot whether auto is faster than manual or not, and even use auto boxes for drag racing, so mine should get me to Bukit Bintang :-)
The car is back from the workshop, but I haven't experimented yet. I am still <300bhp so alright there - thanks for tip on high speed stall torque converter... will investigate.

MV from Adelaide, Oz, quoted me A$535 for a Valve Body to "improve shift speed and the strength of the trans". Also they do high performance servo for A$285 to "improve the shift quality and strength further". Well I think I'll order one, and report back here on the outcome. thanks
If you have close to stock power there really is no point in investing in a high stall torque converter. Especially if its a daily driven car. In layman's terms, its the same as you 'launching' the car at a certain RPM each and every time you move from standstill so the higher the stall, the more torque is needed before it actually engages.

trust me, auto gearboxes are faster. I know of one street car that ran a B&M auto shifter that ran 9 sec in an official 400m drag race. People that still insist that manuals are faster on the drag really have no clue what they're missing(until they try the real thing)
Granted they may be faster down the drag strip but for us everyday commuters, changing gears are the highlight of our daily traffic jams.

rovingboy

Dec 3, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
This problem has gone full circle. I bought the shift kit, but the outcome of the auto-box service was that the torque converter gone and recommend replace with recon unit. As there are don't seem to be any ones around we go back to the post at the start of the thread and plan to replace with a manual box :hmmmm: !

I'm sorry I won't get to try the shift kit in action.

Not going the RB25DETT engine/box route as I really want the car back on the road soon.

Thanks for observations guys it has been a learning experience for a total non-mechanic.

PS anyone want to buy a shift kit for a auto-tranny ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nissan aren’t letting off the throttle as they hit overboost in the Battle of the Brawn, pitting their Nissan 370Z and GT-R against their German equivalents in another round of their new aggressive marketing campaign in Britain.

The first ad that featured a 370Z with World War I fighter-pilot style kill marks next to the logos of German...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience