Toyota vs FD2R

fritz

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2005
Malaysia
www.mrbaoz.com.my
Haha...funny discussion here. Just go to any track day with FD2R in the track, then test your timing with it. No point smoke everywhere..:p

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
in track quite hard 2 beat d FD2R IMHO coz d FD2R is REALLY built w track purpose in mind...but thn again,in d hands of a relatively newbie track driver,it might not b dat fast...i know a few FD2Rs r still posting high 250s lap times in SIC...n dun look down on any Toyotas wei....they can b really fast in SIC..encountered a few...respect!

SummErs

Jul 5, 2010
NA
I think the original question posted is seriously flawed in the sense that a question was asked if the FD2R was fast or was it over rated. Really, fast compared to what? Over-rated in comparison to what? The original comparison between rusty bucket and still full of paint FD2R...sorry, what was the actual comparison all about??? I'm not trying to attack anyone here. I am aware the question was with a 'that's surprising' outlook, based on the results. I just feel the way the question was asked was very misleading, especially the title being company vs company.

Then eventually, the real story was shown to be a rolling start drag race...which no indication given how long did the race lasted....But I do know is, 1 is on 17inch, the FD2R is on 18inch. Another thing not shared is whether any mods have been made to both cars or were both in completely stock form? Width of tires? Gear ratios? Simply way to much variables can be present...which is why drag race can be such a fine art, regardless of age and model of vehicle. Remember the famous proton that destroyed the GTR in a drag race on youtube?

The potential of FD2R is not over-hyped simply because of the performance on track in its very basic stock form. Once u bring it out of the showroom, you can take it to the track and drive a already very well balanced chassis, decent engine map that allows you to redline to 8.5K RPM and excellent traction on four corners. There's simply not many cars that will allow you to do that for the price range of an FD2R. Especially in light of current manufacturers all adopting a ' I love trees. Trees are my soulmates! I love gardening! Planting is good fun!' hybrid BS mentality.

There is genuine concern among many that we may be looking at an era where fun cars disappear. Just look at Toyota. If it wasn't for the current CEO who is very aware of how boring his grandfather's company has become, you can safely expect to see another version of a 'sporty' vios heading towards our showroom! Oh how about the new Toyota Camry! 2.4L Hybrid goodness! Safe earth! (It's fine...bikes and tractors and lorries and vans do earth no harm.) This was the company that gave the world Supra, MR2, MR2 Turbo, AE86, Celica GT4 n co! Now, all they pump out is 'my car is more fuel efficient than yours' model. Wow, that's...inspiring. Their cars now lack a soul and unique identity, the very same reason why motoring journalist around the world are identifying the new Mclaren Mp4-12C with in comparison to the Ferrari 458. One is pure science. The other is engineering and soul combined.

Unfortunately, it seems even Soichiro's vision of Racing is what makes Honda unique is lost. Some can call me disgruntled but really; who else can give fans a affordable 2L NA car that has such an impressive power plant and was designed to be affordable by the masses? In the past, one can choose from Nissan, or Toyota, Honda, Mazda. Right now, we got.....errr.....errr....errr...lucky we can still find the old cars in the 2nd hand market.

What makes the FD2R the real deal is not just the handling, but the hidden potential waiting to be unlocked (this was back then when the car was launched). Since it had already impressed beyond everyone's expectations in its stock form, just how far can the car go?? That's the real reason why there is such hype about the FD2R. It really brought out the sweetness that an NA machine can offer to the driver.

For what its worth, asking if one car is over rated because of a 'drag' race...is kinda like saying buying a Ferrari is a big waste of time because a GTR can be modded to destroy the Ferrari in a drag race.....There's more to what makes a car spectacular than being fast in a straight line.

miriguy

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2008
Saluran keegs8115 - YouTube

This is my gze against DC5-R tuned with Hondata and Advan Semi slick tyres, not to mention J's Racing full titanium mufflers.

Mine? Erm, lost compression from 1st and 3rd piston. 17" tyres with china tyres, and mixture of various engine oil e.g. motul, m7, liqui moly. thats becoz a day earlier my oil cooler leaked. haha. but then again, a win is a win.

But i vowed to come back after i replace my oversized pistons and semi slick tyres.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Since jap performance car are at verge of extinct.....We cant compare which brand is better...
and which is faster...all car have their pro and cons....enjoy your ride for what it has to offer...
You win some and lose some....:biggrin:

"For what its worth, asking if one car is over rated because of a 'drag' race...is kinda like saying buying a Ferrari is a big waste of time because a GTR can be modded to destroy the Ferrari in a drag race.....There's more to what makes a car spectacular than being fast in a straight line".

Spot on bro.....

Lexus LFA is very expensive and slightly slower than it competitors but it is technology marvel... and its quality level beyond any car on earth....

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

3SGE in a SW20, slower on the pick up, better at top speed ...
SXE10 also similar.... main strength is mid range and top speed...

Last edited:

miriguy

500 RPM
Jun 29, 2008
OI!nice drag strip!whr is dis?sum abandoned air strip?fuiyoh!!!!!!!!i RIKE!
Miri Sarawak. one of the best condition track that you will ever see outside sepang of course.

Drag race is held every year at the same place as well

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
FD2 or DC5 Vs Toyota :

my comparison is between 2 auto manufacturer is based on same year production, similar capacity of displacement & technology advancement.

Honda have i-vtech in comparison to toyota vvti cam technology

i personally dont own DC2 or FD2 i-vtech nor Any Toyota within close to similar production date.

Honda started to produce V-tech technology : on the CBR400 in 1983 known as HYPER VTEC & in the 1989 Honda Integra

Toyota started to produce VVT : 4A-GE engine in 24 December 1991

Current Toyota contender to Honda DC5 or FD2 is no where similar in engine displacement capacity (CC) & production date. what toyota have is celica, mrs ( 1800cc )

you may question why not add in Altezza? altezza 3S-GE engine is an old engine dated since 1986 & came earlier production 1998 FR layout.

celica & mrs is a good & equal contender to dc5 or fd2 share same layout FF.

-------------------------------------------------

i personally tested both Honda dc5 & fd2, Toyota Celica & Mrs. previously own Mr2 twin entry 3sgte. Mrs is a big disappointment in-comparison to mr2. so mrs is out of this match & it is MR layout. so what other toyota in the same class, similar production date & engine displacement other then celica?

Altis?

honda definately has the power which compliment by its technology jewel V-tech family.

while toyota has nothing much of technology to fight against honda.

------------------------------------------------

i've purchased in 2007 honda elysion 2.4. before making purchase, i have tested toyota estima 2.4 & alphard 2.4 just to make my purchase worth it.

Estima 2.4 vvti vs Elysion 2.4 i-vtec : estima feel sluggish & engine is damn lazy to rev
Alphard 2.4 vvti vs Elision 2.4 i-vtec : Alphard felt worst then Estima.

The honda K24A engine is always willing & happy to rev ( accelerate on command )
full tank (RM120) travel with full load 8pax KL - kuala kangsar - penang - KL. fuel cost less then RM100. while averaging 110kmh cruising & speeding 180kmh. ( speed cut )

on my test on FD2 type r it hit 225kmh on limit, which there was still roughly 1k before redlining it. while on DC2 it reach 220kmh, i ran out of space & didnt notice the rev at that speed.

i did a test drive on celica top speed end only at 190kmh

this test drive was on standard, strictly no mods cars.

---------------------------------------------------

personally i take FD2 or DC5 anytime for its i-vtec performance. while previously own Mr2 that was the last good toyota ever in my opinion.

hope that other toyota owner dont take any grudge on me for this. i once love toyota, dont like their year 2000 & above production cars.

toyota good engine was 1jz, 2jz, 3T-GTEU, 3S-GTE & AE family engine. other then that toyota just lost it.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

FD2 or DC5 Vs Toyota :

my comparison is between 2 auto manufacturer is based on same year production, similar capacity of displacement & technology advancement.

Honda have i-vtech in comparison to toyota vvti cam technology

i personally dont own DC2 or FD2 i-vtech nor Any Toyota within close to similar production date.

Honda started to produce V-tech technology : on the CBR400 in 1983 known as HYPER VTEC & in the 1989 Honda Integra

Toyota started to produce VVT : 4A-GE engine in 24 December 1991

Current Toyota contender to Honda DC5 or FD2 is no where similar in engine displacement capacity (CC) & production date. what toyota have is celica, mrs ( 1800cc )

you may question why not add in Altezza? altezza 3S-GE engine is an old engine dated since 1986 & came earlier production 1998 FR layout.

celica & mrs is a good & equal contender to dc5 or fd2 share same layout FF.

-------------------------------------------------

i personally tested both Honda dc5 & fd2, Toyota Celica & Mrs. previously own Mr2 twin entry 3sgte. Mrs is a big disappointment in-comparison to mr2. so mrs is out of this match & it is MR layout. so what other toyota in the same class, similar production date & engine displacement other then celica?

Altis?

honda definately has the power which compliment by its technology jewel V-tech family.

while toyota has nothing much of technology to fight against honda.

------------------------------------------------

i've purchased in 2007 honda elysion 2.4. before making purchase, i have tested toyota estima 2.4 & alphard 2.4 just to make my purchase worth it.

Estima 2.4 vvti vs Elysion 2.4 i-vtec : estima feel sluggish & engine is damn lazy to rev
Alphard 2.4 vvti vs Elision 2.4 i-vtec : Alphard felt worst then Estima.

The honda K24A engine is always willing & happy to rev ( accelerate on command )
full tank (RM120) travel with full load 8pax KL - kuala kangsar - penang - KL. fuel cost less then RM100. while averaging 110kmh cruising & speeding 180kmh. ( speed cut )

on my test on FD2 type r it hit 225kmh on limit, which there was still roughly 1k before redlining it. while on DC2 it reach 220kmh, i ran out of space & didnt notice the rev at that speed.

i did a test drive on celica top speed end only at 190kmh

this test drive was on standard, strictly no mods cars.

---------------------------------------------------

personally i take FD2 or DC5 anytime for its i-vtec performance. while previously own Mr2 that was the last good toyota ever in my opinion.

hope that other toyota owner dont take any grudge on me for this. i once love toyota, dont like their year 2000 & above production cars.

toyota good engine was 1jz, 2jz, 3T-GTEU, 3S-GTE & AE family engine. other then that toyota just lost it.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Haha...funny discussion here. Just go to any track day with FD2R in the track, then test your timing with it. No point smoke everywhere..:p
Smoke everywhere, buddy ? Funny discussion ? I think so too, because the FD2R didn't leave a rusty bucket behind by 9 miles.... Hahaha...

I think the original question posted is seriously flawed in the sense that a question was asked if the FD2R was fast or was it over rated. Really, fast compared to what? Over-rated in comparison to what? The original comparison between rusty bucket and still full of paint FD2R...sorry, what was the actual comparison all about??? I'm not trying to attack anyone here. I am aware the question was with a 'that's surprising' outlook, based on the results. I just feel the way the question was asked was very misleading, especially the title being company vs company.

Then eventually, the real story was shown to be a rolling start drag race...which no indication given how long did the race lasted....But I do know is, 1 is on 17inch, the FD2R is on 18inch. Another thing not shared is whether any mods have been made to both cars or were both in completely stock form? Width of tires? Gear ratios? Simply way to much variables can be present...which is why drag race can be such a fine art, regardless of age and model of vehicle. Remember the famous proton that destroyed the GTR in a drag race on youtube?

The potential of FD2R is not over-hyped simply because of the performance on track in its very basic stock form. Once u bring it out of the showroom, you can take it to the track and drive a already very well balanced chassis, decent engine map that allows you to redline to 8.5K RPM and excellent traction on four corners. There's simply not many cars that will allow you to do that for the price range of an FD2R. Especially in light of current manufacturers all adopting a ' I love trees. Trees are my soulmates! I love gardening! Planting is good fun!' hybrid BS mentality.

There is genuine concern among many that we may be looking at an era where fun cars disappear. Just look at Toyota. If it wasn't for the current CEO who is very aware of how boring his grandfather's company has become, you can safely expect to see another version of a 'sporty' vios heading towards our showroom! Oh how about the new Toyota Camry! 2.4L Hybrid goodness! Safe earth! (It's fine...bikes and tractors and lorries and vans do earth no harm.) This was the company that gave the world Supra, MR2, MR2 Turbo, AE86, Celica GT4 n co! Now, all they pump out is 'my car is more fuel efficient than yours' model. Wow, that's...inspiring. Their cars now lack a soul and unique identity, the very same reason why motoring journalist around the world are identifying the new Mclaren Mp4-12C with in comparison to the Ferrari 458. One is pure science. The other is engineering and soul combined.

Unfortunately, it seems even Soichiro's vision of Racing is what makes Honda unique is lost. Some can call me disgruntled but really; who else can give fans a affordable 2L NA car that has such an impressive power plant and was designed to be affordable by the masses? In the past, one can choose from Nissan, or Toyota, Honda, Mazda. Right now, we got.....errr.....errr....errr...lucky we can still find the old cars in the 2nd hand market.

What makes the FD2R the real deal is not just the handling, but the hidden potential waiting to be unlocked (this was back then when the car was launched). Since it had already impressed beyond everyone's expectations in its stock form, just how far can the car go?? That's the real reason why there is such hype about the FD2R. It really brought out the sweetness that an NA machine can offer to the driver.

For what its worth, asking if one car is over rated because of a 'drag' race...is kinda like saying buying a Ferrari is a big waste of time because a GTR can be modded to destroy the Ferrari in a drag race.....There's more to what makes a car spectacular than being fast in a straight line.
Seriously, I thought the explanation was never going to end, SummErs. It lacked some charts along with some numbers & formula to prove your point. Seriously flawed ? Maybe you missed the part about this being a talk kok sing song topic la. I think you're taking it too seriously. Relax la , bro.

Come on la, guys. It was only 1 particular FD2R that didn't leave behind a rusty bucket by 9 miles & you guys have to be so defensive meh ? I was only curious to know if any other Toyota fans have similiar experience to share & what was the result, that's all. Don't complicate things la.

I honestly think that the FD2R owner accepted the results better than some of you guys.:hmmmm:

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur

now i just realize why didn't Best Motoring International preview latest toyota 2000cc cars? ermmm

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
talking from a drag experience...

240fwhp Celica Turbo (ST202 convert ST205 FF) vs. 240 fwhp DC5 (major mods...)

1st gear almost same
2nd gear I started to eat dust :driver:
3rd-5th gear I started to eat dust big time :driver: :driver: (DC5 damn fast)

vs. Mild modded DC5 ~200fwhp

he eat dust but <1 sec difference, so still respect the DC5!

haven't tried against a Type R...

the closest Toyota to compare is Altezza, but its much heavier than Type R...and its more family/luxury oriented.

my 2 cents

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
standard on both should justify the fight. mods may very small detail. 3sgte different league, layour AWD & year. altezza 1998 different layout, altezza should be a fight with s2000 just to be fair FR vs FR.

perhaps this may be a good fight : S15 VS S14 VS S2000 VS TOYOTA MR-S - YouTube honda against toyota & nissan

allot of altezza owner change to 2jz for performance.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Singaporeans at Oneshift.com spotted an Evo X that floated onto their shores surprisingly early.<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

From Oneshift.com: "Thats right. Thats the nose of the new Evo 10, seen prowling the busy streets of Singapore. Here are some pictures. The car sits on huge, 18 inch alloys and 245/40 profile...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience