Toyota vs FD2R

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
but still i've met honda drivers that couldn't find the answer: does honda make FR engine?

ayathu

Known Member
Feb 24, 2007
KL
My experiece with my brothers Civic FD2 K20A, very smooth fast to 180km/h when auto but if paddle shift kind of slower. On highway with 3 passenger top speed, up to 220km/h.

However going up genting, need to be coutious(because of worn abs). Once sprint with him on my BT 20v, seems my car faster.
FD2R is race breed, can be compared with NSX my 2cents.

neokenzo

Known Member
Oct 5, 2006
PJ
I used to own a Toyota Levin BZG AE111 BT and now I own a FD2R. Both cars are nice to drive but I feel the FD2R is much more fun to drive though.
However, the fuel consumption on the Levin is much much better than the FD2R :p

mikro

Known Member
Nov 16, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Toyota got fast car.. the LF-A but it far too expensive.

If you talk about road going car, I think Supra Beat all Type-r but it's a turbo.

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
i prefer toyota mpv than it's car.....for fd2r...it's worth to buy it.......nice looking fast performance...:love:

220mph

Known Member
Mar 31, 2006
kl
i currently own altezza and type r.
engine power output comparison. Honda win by mile long away. the k20a i onwed is pushing 240whp /23kgm torque from bolts on and ecu mods. few guys pushing 25+ whp with stock 2litter k20a block. altezza with ecu and bolts on mods is no way near those numbers. for altezza to get those numbers , surely need to opt for Force Induction.
comfort . altezza win.
fuel economy, k20a win .
handling on track no doubt type r.handling on highway goes to altezza. the high spring rate + stiff damping + light body weight from type r makes it hard to even follow a bmw x.5 on speed above 200kmh. its bouncing dangerously everywhere.

anyway this are one of the treads waiting to be flamed by alot of ppl. motif of comparison not stated. target of comparison not stated. and to mention fd2r or other type r is overrated? overrated by who? if i would to argue, my altezza is even more overrated in terms of performance.atleast type r had claim and proven its ground in sepang time and time again. but i didnt care much.altezza its still a good car.

Last edited:

monsh

Known Member
Mar 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
toyota focus more on family sedan and such .
means more towards comfort, reliability bla bla bla
u dont get much power from toyota but i think its noticable that toyota engine is less stress at high speed compared to honda .

of course honda press go kaw2 wan
tested stock ek99 body with my seg which is also stock, seems like toyota handling nicer .
just my personal experience .

nvr really had any chance testing high output engine >.<"

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
When talking about weight, toyota body is heavier than honda but same goes to engine as well.
Toyota block are made from cast iron while honda block are made from alloy. Total weight is relly different.
Then honda block is easily to put a stroker kit. In the k20 video most of them are using 2.4 liter block but still claim its k20.
Also beware of b16 out there.

ayathu

Known Member
Feb 24, 2007
KL
engine power output comparison. Honda win by mile long away. the k20a i onwed is pushing 240whp /23kgm torque from bolts on and ecu mods. few guys pushing 25+ whp with stock 2litter k20a block. altezza with ecu and bolts on mods is no way near those numbers. for altezza to get those numbers , surely need to opt for Force Induction.
comfort . altezza win.
fuel economy, k20a win .
handling on track no doubt type r.handling on highway goes to altezza. the high spring rate + stiff damping + light body weight from type r makes it hard to even follow a bmw x.5 on speed above 200kmh. its bouncing dangerously everywhere.

anyway this are one of the treads waiting to be flamed by alot of ppl. motif of comparison not stated. target of comparison not stated. and to mention fd2r or other type r is overrated? overrated by who? if i would to argue, my altezza is even more overrated in terms of performance.atleast type r had claim and proven its ground in sepang time and time again. but i didnt care much.altezza its still a good car.
Good to know some info from a person who owns a Type R, its all about preferences.
IF Toyota vs FD2R interms of performance than it should be Corolla XRS with 2ZZ-GE vs FD2R with K20A, that will be interesting. Still FD2R wins.

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
comfort . altezza win.
fuel economy, k20a win .

Good to hear from someone that owns both a Toyota & the FD2R. I'm sorry I didn't state my motive to start this thread off; didn't know I need one anyway but I did mentioned it was just a talk kok syok-syok topic. So far everyone's very matured & made no childish remarks. So no worries, 220 km/h. We are mature people here.

Anyway, here's my motive:

I asked because I just had a friendly match with a stock standard FD2R with my rusty bucket. The result was a draw. We were both surprised (me & the FD2R driver) coz that was not what we both expected. I expected to be eating the dust made by the FD2R coz Tsuchiya called it a Racing car with number plates. So that's why I asked if it was over rated. It was RM 200k car against a bucket of rust literally.

now that I've myself clear, I just want to repeat that there's no intention to belittle the Honda or whatever reason. Infact, if I have the money, I might consider buying one myself. Hehehe.

Peace.

cypy

Jun 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Good to hear from someone that owns both a Toyota & the FD2R. I'm sorry I didn't state my motive to start this thread off; didn't know I need one anyway but I did mentioned it was just a talk kok syok-syok topic. So far everyone's very matured & made no childish remarks. So no worries, 220 km/h. We are mature people here.

Anyway, here's my motive:

I asked because I just had a friendly match with a stock standard FD2R with my rusty bucket. The result was a draw. We were both surprised (me & the FD2R driver) coz that was not what we both expected. I expected to be eating the dust made by the FD2R coz Tsuchiya called it a Racing car with number plates. So that's why I asked if it was over rated. It was RM 200k car against a bucket of rust literally.

now that I've myself clear, I just want to repeat that there's no intention to belittle the Honda or whatever reason. Infact, if I have the money, I might consider buying one myself. Hehehe.

Peace.

hi bro, i still not undertsand your motive even you said it out. What's is your motive actually ?
U doubt your friendly match result against FD2R or u doubt your friend was holding back or u think FD2R is over....................rated ?

Well, let it be any motive, i am more interested in your ride .... hehehe ....
what is your 'rusty bucket' here ? even it is rusty, i guess there might be something extraordinary under the bonnet to hold on with FD2R.

what kind of match u had with FD2R ? drag or touge ?

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
can i add in here?no flames intended ya?
frm experience,d Kseries powered Hondas r REALLY not dat fast whn it comes 2 drag racing(0-400m)......b it a DC5R or FD2R or even FN2R,nope,they r NOT fast over 400m...so i'm not surprised if sum "rusty bucket"(hahaha..i like d way u call ur ride,cool!) managed 2 hold a FD2R 2 a draw.......driver factor comes into play too....n 1 more thg,power-to-weight ratio is more important n power/torque output alone,agree?.....
heck,even d S2000 w d almight F20C engine is NOT fast over 400m...like i sed,i'm saying dis all thru experience....i used 2 b quite "active" in drag "racing",hahahahahahhahaha

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
hi bro, i still not undertsand your motive even you said it out. What's is your motive actually ?
U doubt your friendly match result against FD2R or u doubt your friend was holding back or u think FD2R is over....................rated ?

Well, let it be any motive, i am more interested in your ride .... hehehe ....
what is your 'rusty bucket' here ? even it is rusty, i guess there might be something extraordinary under the bonnet to hold on with FD2R.

what kind of match u had with FD2R ? drag or touge ?
I seriously expected the FD2R to be faster, so I was curious to know if anyone else had tested their Toyota against the FD2R & have a different result. doesn't matter lost or won but just want to know by how far.

My rusty bucket is a 1985 ST150 Corona with a redtop Beams 3SGE inside. We did rolling 50-180 km/h; 2nd - 4th gear for me).

I'd say the FD2R has a similiar performance with the Caldina in the same situation (rolling) coz I also tested with it & got the same result.

cypy

Jun 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
can i add in here?no flames intended ya?
frm experience,d Kseries powered Hondas r REALLY not dat fast whn it comes 2 drag racing(0-400m)......b it a DC5R or FD2R or even FN2R,nope,they r NOT fast over 400m...so i'm not surprised if sum "rusty bucket"(hahaha..i like d way u call ur ride,cool!) managed 2 hold a FD2R 2 a draw.......driver factor comes into play too....n 1 more thg,power-to-weight ratio is more important n power/torque output alone,agree?.....
heck,even d S2000 w d almight F20C engine is NOT fast over 400m...like i sed,i'm saying dis all thru experience....i used 2 b quite "active" in drag "racing",hahahahahahhahaha
i think, first thing first is the engine/ride that plays the most important factor. We cannot expect a vios in stock form can beat a stock FD2R......but other factors (driver, torque, road condition and bla bla bla) just more interesting to us right ? :)

that is why i am asking, what ride or engine under 'rusty bucket' bonnet :idea:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
I think overall, win or lose, is quite a fair fight. We're both 2.0 liter, 4 door saloon, car weighs similiar, FD2R running on 18", mine on 17" wheels; except mine has much more rust...

Then again, it was all in the name of fun; regardless win or lose. Just a little surprised, that's all. I myself, have always regarded the FD2R very highly in NA class.:adore:

Last edited:

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
2 Old 2 Rusty,
sorry,i'm not well versed abt Toyotas.....ur redtop BEAMS 3SGE(dis is top of d line NA 2L engine frm Altezza family 1,is it?).....is rated @ wat whp & torque in stock form?i understand BEAMS r "tuned" engines frm d factory,almost similiar 2 Type R frm Honda,correct ar?

cypy,
hehehee..of coz must talk cars w similiar engine capacity lar.....was expecting 2 Old 2 Rusty 2 run sumthg @ least 1.8L against d FD2R ler..if stock Vios can hold d FD2R,i think d FD owner confirm damn stress liau!hahahahhhaa.....nvm,dis is all 4 fun fun tok kok sing song only,right?

but gotta take note dat d FD2R is really designed 2 tackle corners aka track...just like wat Tsuchiya sed,it's a road legal TRACK CAR!hahahahahha.................n most track cars do NOT had gear ratios suited 4 drag racing....but abit farnee oso since it was done on rolling start.....yeah,if u ask me,i wud expect d FD2R 2 win oso..prolly not by alot...but @ least win....eh,go repeat n shoot video?hehehehehhehehehehe

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
2 Old 2 Rusty,
sorry,i'm not well versed abt Toyotas.....ur redtop BEAMS 3SGE(dis is top of d line NA 2L engine frm Altezza family 1,is it?).....is rated @ wat whp & torque in stock form?i understand BEAMS r "tuned" engines frm d factory,almost similiar 2 Type R frm Honda,correct ar?

but gotta take note dat d FD2R is really designed 2 tackle corners aka track...just like wat Tsuchiya sed,it's a road legal TRACK CAR!hahahahahha.................n most track cars do NOT had gear ratios suited 4 drag racing....but abit farnee oso since it was done on rolling start.....yeah,if u ask me,i wud expect d FD2R 2 win oso..prolly not by alot...but @ least win....eh,go repeat n shoot video?hehehehehhehehehehe
Mine from the Celica ST202 (FF), not from the Altezza (FR). Yeah, we have about the same whp as well, the stock FD2R should have around 190 whp, slightly higher than mine, prolly due to less transmission loss. Can't remember the exact torque figures but I think the FD2R is about 1 kgm more than mine.

Rolling start is because my car's gear ratio is also not suitable for drags.

I think after that test, that was the last day the FD2R's gonna be stock standard. He'll be back for a rematch alright but it won't be bone stock for sure. Busuk2 also a Hondata ECU next round. Hahaha. I'll be prepared to eat dust from the FD2R...

Last edited: