Toyota FICD ? There's no such thing exist !!!

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Good day...

Just to clear things up, as most of forumers used the wrong term of it.

First of all...what is FICD ? it's an acronym for Fast Idle Control Device , and used mostly by Nissan manufacturer, not to sure about others, kindly advice on it.

The FICD valve compensates for RPM drop when AC compressor is activated and FICD, it works with AAC (Auxiliary Air Control) for idle during turning off and on the A/C .

Here is a picture of it :

Now that's is FICD...

Now back to the term used under "Toyota FICD"

==CORRECTION on this part==
The 2nd picture is VSV for EVAP...my bad, forgive me...:itsme:

It's actually known as - VSV for EVAP or VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor...NOT FICD !

VSV = Vacuum Switching Valve
EVAP = short form tuk "vapor pressure sensor"

Now, the Toyota VSV for EVAP is widely used on Proton's and Mitsubishi's engine and perhaps other too...4G classes if not mistaken...to overcome the idling problem when turning on the A/C ...

now here's an examples of TOYOTA VSV for EVAP
:smokin: :driver:

The first picture, is VSV for A/C idle-up which normally recognize by others as Toyota FICD (do not exist)...

#1 - VSV for A/C Idle-up

#2 VSV for EVAP

Please make changes on the habit to you guys used...it's a disgrace to our automotive community...

Feel free to make comments and correct me if i'm wrong. :biggrin:

Last edited:

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
What's the price for this vacuum switch part? New and used?
Mine broken at the leg(AE111 model 1996). The shop sold me AE101 model one(as label on the box), but not fit at the mounting. Idle also not so nice.
Thanks

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
I never called that name even though almost all people use it,i usually call aircon idle valve,although not the correct term,but to let people know its used for air con..it is VSV for sure...

VSV EVAP is for emissions,purge control..

P/S:Chin,what do u think bout semi lock lsd,full lock lsd..i think that is not the correct term too,hehe

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
Hi bro chin,
I just offer some help here.... Sorry.

This is how the VSV work for 4AGE:

This is where the VSV allocate at:

Attachments

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
mamatAE111 - Please do PM me...i'll try to find for you...

cuscostrutbrace - yaa yaa...thanks for reminding... :D ...but need to do more findings about it...especially the viscous and helical part...not forgetten the "full lock" term...

TRD.AE92 - thanx for adding into it...

PilaH

Known Member
Mar 27, 2007
lots of thanks bro....nowdays some honda also using it to....

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
That tiny valve that located behind the 4-throttle is to allow the fuel tank to purge the evaporating fuel into the manifold, not for aircon idle up purpose. The aircon idle up valve is located at the firewall that near to the charcoal canister.

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
That tiny valve that located behind the 4-throttle is to allow the fuel tank to purge the evaporating fuel into the manifold, not for aircon idle up purpose. The aircon idle up valve is located at the firewall that near to the charcoal canister.
Yes,that is VSV for EVAP...for 20v 4AG,only SVT have air con idle up valve,Blacktop do not have it since air con idle up is controlled by the ecu by varying the frequency of the ISCV opening.In late drive by wire throttle vehicles,they dont have ISCV at all...all idle up is controlled by the throttle opening...

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Yup the 2nd picture is VSV for EVAP...
but what is the 1st picture ? for sure it's a VSV...for sure it do control A/C idle-up for SVT model...but what VSV ?

==========Update==========
Heee...being told already...it's VSV A/C Idle-up
=======================

"alamak...sudah salah :D"

VSV for Evap...it connects between air cleaner and Charchoal canister (can be found in BT Repair manual page F1-62 under Electronic Fuel Injection - VSV for EVAP)

P/S : the 1st pic is (part #90910-13005) VSV for MR2 year 91-94...

since we've touched VSV topic a bit...found out that they're so many VSV in Toyota... :D

VSV for EVAP
VSV for Pressure Switching Valve (not too sure 4AGE got it or not)
VSV for Canister Close Valve (CCV)
VSV for EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - (not too sure 4AGE got it or not)
VSV for ISC also got...

walauwehhh...

Regarding BT ISC...which control the A/C idle-up...

The ECU controlled ISC got 4 types :

1) Stepper motor
2) Rotary solenoid
3) Duty control ACV
4) On-off control VSV

one of it using VSV too...
now...all are used to control A/C idle-up except for Rotary solenoid...

and like cuscostrutbrace said...and i believed BT used Stepper motor ISC to control A/C idle-up...

but then both SVT and BT got ISC...
ISC too can control A/C Idle up...but why SVT need extra a/c idle-up ?

huuuu...

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Yup the 2nd picture is VSV for EVAP...
but what is the 1st picture ? for sure it's a VSV...for sure it do control A/C idle-up for SVT model...but what VSV ?

==========Update==========
Heee...being told already...it's VSV A/C Idle-up
=======================

"alamak...sudah salah :D"

VSV for Evap...it connects between air cleaner and Charchoal canister (can be found in BT Repair manual page F1-62 under Electronic Fuel Injection - VSV for EVAP)

P/S : the 1st pic is (part #90910-13005) VSV for MR2 year 91-94...

since we've touched VSV topic a bit...found out that they're so many VSV in Toyota... :D

VSV for EVAP
VSV for Pressure Switching Valve (not too sure 4AGE got it or not)
VSV for Canister Close Valve (CCV)
VSV for EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - (not too sure 4AGE got it or not)
VSV for ISC also got...

walauwehhh...

Regarding BT ISC...which control the A/C idle-up...

The ECU controlled ISC got 4 types :

1) Stepper motor
2) Rotary solenoid
3) Duty control ACV
4) On-off control VSV

one of it using VSV too...
now...all are used to control A/C idle-up except for Rotary solenoid...

and like cuscostrutbrace said...and i believed BT used Stepper motor ISC to control A/C idle-up...

but then both SVT and BT got ISC...
ISC too can control A/C Idle up...but why SVT need extra a/c idle-up ?

huuuu...
VSV for EVAP = This for emission control,purge petrol vapor from charcoal canister to engine

VSV for Pressure Switching Valve = For power steering,SVT & BT both got...for idle up when turn steering

VSV for Canister Close Valve (CCV) = This i am not sure

VSV for EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) = Mostly applied to US model

VSV for ISC also got = This for A/C idle up on SVT

20V ISCV is Rotary Solenoid Type,not stepper motor (Chin u already confirm this before,hehe).Normally all rotary solenoid ISCV have 3 wires (some only have 2),and most Stepper motor ISCV have 4 or 6 wires. But i am not sure why SVT have separate a/c idle up vsv,while BT done have,maybe their ISCV airflow capacity is different.Chin can u research the part number of both SVT and BT ISCV..

why la my office block photobucket,imageshack etc,i cannot see those pics!

chinozie

Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
heeeeee...forgot already...bummer...
always confused with the diagram...thanks again...

this is the real 20V ISC system

owh can't see link from photobucket...heee..pity you... :P

here's the direct link...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h26.pdf

Here's ISC part number :
22270-16030 for Silvertop
22270-16070 for Blacktop

Source out from my blog :
http://4age20v.blogsome.com/2008/03/21/diy-how-to-clean-4age-20v-iscv/

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

But i am not sure why SVT have separate a/c idle up vsv,while BT done have,maybe their ISCV airflow capacity is different.
I assume it must be due to diffenrences between AFM and MAP setting...
since BT got MAP, it doesn't required VSV A/C idle-up...whereby SVT using AFM requires it...my 2cents...

BTW...MR2 1991-1994...does it run on AFM or MAP ?
can you also check the connection differences between AFM and MAP ...who knows...

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
heeeeee...forgot already...bummer...
always confused with the diagram...thanks again...

this is the real 20V ISC system

owh can't see link from photobucket...heee..pity you... :P

here's the direct link...

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h26.pdf

Here's ISC part number :
22270-16030 for Silvertop
22270-16070 for Blacktop

Source out from my blog :
:: [DIY] How to clean 4age 20v ISCV :: March :: 2008

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

I assume it must be due to diffenrences between AFM and MAP setting...
since BT got MAP, it doesn't required VSV A/C idle-up...whereby SVT using AFM requires it...my 2cents...

BTW...MR2 1991-1994...does it run on AFM or MAP ?
can you also check the connection differences between AFM and MAP ...who knows...
Might be possible...was thinking that too but....doesnt seems to differ much in terms of idle control between AFM and MAP,also the AFM itself already have fixed air bypass at the airflow meter...MAP dont have any,dont need to..

Since the part no is different,there must be something different between those two,dunno if it involves air flow capacity or not..maybe just shape change,or surface treatment change etc...

I think earlier gen 3S runs on AFM,anyone who have access to these engines can do research..On the other note,AE86/92 is run on MAP but they still have that A/c idle up VSV.For AE86 it must have because it doesnt have ISCV,AE92 not sure,but think no ISCV also,same case...BUT....local AE101/AE111 4AFE got ISCV,MAP sensor and also have A/c idle up VSV,hehehe

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
BT use the ISCV lah,it will open more when we switch on A/C..dont pening lah...let toyota engineer do the job,hehe..thats why i was hooked on engine management systems,there is so many tricks..we can do what we want,in any conditions,as long as the system allows...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

So you can't afford a Mazda RX-7 and you desire for some Wankel action. Fret not, a local Malaysian motoring enthusiast does the unthinkable. By mashing up a rear wheel driven Toyota Starlet KP60 (affectionally called the "kambing" or goat in relation to the name of the chassis code) with a 13B rotary engine from a Mazda half-cut, he is able to create a compact rocket pocket. I bet that car is gonna rock...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience