Toyota boss "would like to create a car that is better than the Supra"

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

We could see the return of the legendary Supra if Toyota boss Akio Toyoda has his way. The boss and grandson to the founder has apparently given his approval to the development of a new modern Supra. But before you get too excited, note that Mr. Toyoda has also conceded that even if he has given his approval, there may be resistance to the plan within his own company.

According to a report by Autocar UK, Toyoda told journalists in Japan that he “wants to see the next Supra tested in the near future” but added that “even if one president says that we want to have a Supra again, the whole company is not going to be responding to that request”.

The report also says that the Supra replacement is on track for a launch in 2013/14 and is likely to use a V6 hybrid powerplant when it hits production. The development of the Supra is running parallel to the delayed FT-86.

Mr.Toyoda is an avid driver and has raced the LFA at the 24-hours of Nurburgring and apparently his desire to build a new Supra stems driving the previous generation Supra at the 'Ring. He said he “would like to create a car that is better than the Supra” and he was “not against the idea” of pushing through development of the car.

Toyota is also planning to launch a new MR-2 within the next four years, which will use a hybrid powertrain based on a 1.5-litre petrol engine.

Source: Autocar

Attachments

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
God Speed !!!

joelabulabi

Oct 17, 2009
kelantan
hybrid this and that..yuck....bloody al gore got the whole world conned with his scheme of selling carbon for money...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Prefer the current Supra Design...performance wise may be better if they focus on creating a better car replacement for the current Supra but Design wise I personally don't like it...

Wish they could have just modify a bit from the current Supra Design...nicer and not so Futuristic like as if we are gonna drive a spaceship or something...

Example, the new R35 still have the Sports Car look and I mean REAL CAR not Spaceships or flying saucers....:top:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
IMO... get TopSecret or Veilside to do the bodywork for the next Supra... then dump in the almighty 1UZ-FE in it and you have a massive new Supra-Dupra! No need fancy hybrid stuff or other gizmo.

Undutched

Jan 19, 2009
Id buy it. But Id prefer an I6 over a V6.
I am pretty sure, that soon enough companies will start to upgrade the Hybrid dirvetrains.

Think of it like this. Slap on a GT50 and using the Electric Motor until you reach 6,000rpm :D

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
People people... Hybrids are good and I love them.. We should.... Excellent for city drive... Saves fuel and environment...

But please not in a Supra... Racing and performance are best left with pure petrol... They should seriously revive the jz series... Hybrid and electric is a pollution in the racing arena.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
2JZ is still the one of the best performance engine that lives along together with Supra...don't place in 1UZ-FE pls...1UZ-FE is still under family engine group not like the 2JZ-GTE Engine.

Still prefer 2JZ. :top:

KSL

500 RPM
Nov 6, 2004
Subang
Visit site
ABSOLUTLY PATHETIC. These manufacturers try and make cars that are "multi purpose". Whatever happened to building a car for a specific purpose and just achieving that. Only then will they be able to say they have built somethin worth while. Looking forward to the new supra, mr2, 86, but really, this war on speed is bull shit. The problem is in the drivers, not the cars. The average driver in my oppinion needs more than be basic "knowledge of how to make a car move forward". Absolutely ridiculous that JPJ is as it is, where are the skid pads? Mud pools? Reaction time rigs?
driving is not a right, it's a privilidge.
besides, we need less people on the raod.
* raise the speed limit, filter out bad drivers, improve public transport.
then lets buy a new supra and strip it out hehehehe

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

fuel price. bla bla bla. load of shit.
you guys do know that you can find recepies to make your own fuel. fuel in malaysia is rubbish!!
if price of fuel bothers you, motor sports really isn't the thing for you mate.
and yes, the malaysian govt needs to be sacked.
they are our servants, they should act accordingly.
:D

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi ppl..

I m running on a 4g93t stock.. wanna get a piggyback system on.. but kinda confuse between safc neo or e manage???:stupid:
and wat the hell is the diff between the both?? some say e manage some go with safc neo..
so all beautiful ppl.. pls pls give me yr opinion??

Thank you very much :biggrin:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience