Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Toyota's new Corolla Cross arrives Malaysia. It is built on the TNGA-C platform just like the Corolla sedan and C-HR, a well acclaimed chassis which almost always deliver. This is also evident in the recently introduced and fully imported Toyota RAV4.

1.8L NA 4cyl 2ZR-FBE / 139ps / 172nm / 7 speed CVT transmission / 1.8G RM124k 1.8V RM134k

This Corolla Cross as tested is the base G variant, which is the base model of the Corolla Cross, whereas the top of the range V model will get:

1.8V:
- Bi-LED headlights with LED drl
- 18-inch dual-tone wheels
- 225/50 Michelin Primacy 4 tyres
- LED tail lights
- Acoustic laminated windshield

1.8G:
- Halogen projector headlights
- LED fog lamps
- LED combination tail lights
- 17-inch twin five-spoke wheels
- 215/60 Bridgestone Alenza tyres

Standard equipment for all variants:
- Powered tailgate with kick sensor
- Powered wing mirrors with LED indicators and blind spot monitoring
- Leather wrapped multifunction steering wheel with tilt and telescoping adjustment
- Black leather seat upholstery with perforation
- Single-zone automatic climate control
- 9-inch touchscreen infotainment with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Miracast
- 8 way power adjustability on driver seat
- Rear centre air vents
- 2 USB Type-A charging ports (2.1 A)
- Foot pedal parking brake

Colours:
Red Mica Metallic, Nebula Blue Metallic, Metalstream Metallic, Platinum White Pearl, and Graphic Metallic.

First Impressions:

Drive:
- Good overall body control for what it represents.
- Made for the city, great at town driving.
- Highway driving is decent, but it feels better, more suited for the city where it'll shine.
- Not exactly a jacked up Corolla in reality where there's obviously more suspension travel being a SUV.
- In a way, there's nothing really Corolla about the Corolla Cross apart from the shared powertrain and drivetrain.
- It feels easily closer to the RAV4, although the Corolla Cross feel less insulated all around.
- Torsion beam rear end is not always noticeable, but does solidify the cost saving measure.

Power:
- 139ps / 172nm comes from 1.8L NA 2ZR-FE engine, identical to the Corolla sedan as with the CVT transmission.
- It is quick to react from zero.
- There's grunt from the 1.8L and the CVT box has decent response.
- Engine note can be loud at full throttle and resonates throughout the cabin.

Comfort:
- NVH is okay, not as well insulated or damped as the more premium RAV4.
- Driven anywhere at city speeds, there's really nothing to complain where the ride feels plush for its purpose.
- It is when the speed creeps beyond 110kmh that the exterior noise pollution start to penetrate through the cabin

Inside:
- All black interior includes black rooflining, which is a nice touch, gets 2 thumbs up
- Good seating position front and back
- Seats are rather firm front and back
- Doesn't feel cheap inside, well sorted, no exposed metal from the seat rails etc.

Outside:
- Definitely one of the freshest crossover SUV on the road now, with a relatively bigger silhouette than what's currently available in class.
- Crossing the badge with iconic Corolla helps it secure a place in the C segment range although it's more a B segment SUV in reality.
- Flared arches provide the overall brawn and bruteness, as the tactical matt black cladding adds to its heavy duty physique.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
1 word: ugly.
I kinda like it lol. More so than the current HRV.

The full spec seems like a viable alternative versus the CX-5 2.0 variant, assuming cabin and boot size is similar. I always have the impression the CX-5 is cramped.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Short spell testing the CX-5, and it did seems cramp. As for H, S, N, and M, only H and S SUV were fairly spacious.....lol

leinnz

Known Member

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
now with the liks of the HRV, Sportage, X70, XV and Kona. how can these SUV performed with each others

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
now with the liks of the HRV, Sportage, X70, XV and Kona. how can these SUV performed with each others
T logo always perform the best in perceived resale value. Buy Kona commit seppuku.

x70 wins on value. Personally given the choices you listed it’s either the x70 or this Toyota. People I know have nothing but praises for the x70.

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It feels like a competitor to the HRV and the XV. I think it looks the best among the 3.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there, i'm driving and iswara 12v 1.5cc carbie engine. recently i saw somebody is selling his 12v 1.3cc injection engine everything like half cut. I am plan to buy this halfcut since it is manual transmission & it is injection engine. But too bad, this is 1.3cc.

so my question is, is there anything i can do if i transplant this injection halfcut, but i want to maintain it as 1.5cc.

looking forward for you advise, Thank You.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience