Things to look out for when getting an old 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
bros n sis...need some advise n couldnt find it elsewhere so i'm starting this thread so other ppl with any intention of getting an old Nissan Z can come here and read up.

i myself am planning to get an old 280zx but have found close to no info on what to look out for n what are the common failings such as rust areas...common engine/tranny problems which are hard to fix n costly...parts n where to find them.

anybody can give any advise?:biggrin:

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
if theres a specific forum just for the fairlady...wouldnt it make owners sort of seperated from the other motoring lovers? arent there active members here...i noticed the honda thread is also decaying...not much active members anymore(not the CF4 owners club tho...very active).

only active threads are the protons n peroduas...

been a member for a long time. was inactive due to net problems but am active now hehehe

anyhow...anybody have any ideas? been eye-balling a certain curvaceaous blackie a very long time n need some advise before investing in it...

so far knowns problems are the absorbers are gone...some rust in the front floor pan...am targeting a 2.8 non turbo manual. any comments?

gomez

Known Member
Jul 9, 2009
u can try the other fairlady clubs..google it up, there are lots of international forums..then maybe u can share some info here..sry wish i cud help more

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
i just got a 280zx a month ago and now doing some restoration on the body. here are some parts that might help if you have any problems.
1) absorber is using same with bluebird 911.
2) break sill use same as pajero sill or isuzu trooper sill. normally if your break oil start to leak either fron or rear, it's going to be the sill. i kena ding dong few mechanics and this ol skool guy helps me alot.
3) clutch pump got OEM maker. so if jam up or oil cannot flow and need to replace the clutch pump, just ask the mechanic remove the clutch pump and can find suitable wan.

the ol skool guy told me that alot of parts in the engine area can find. just remove the parts and show to the spare part guy and hope they can find suitable wan. dun go and ask spare part guy that you need xxx for 280zx... they will say dun have.

most important before you do any anti rusting for your car is to ensure you can find weatherstrip for your car. reason is that most places that rust will be along your windows. if you got no spare weatherstrip and your body work guys go and strip it off... mati. unless you can find sifu that knows how to do it.

all these steps are very mind blowing and it takes alot of your time to go and find parts and people to do but i tell you... when you drive that lady around.. people will oogle at your ride. enuf said.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I have own a 1976 280Z and the problem area for me is rust. Common rust area are under the battery tray, spare tires tray, both driver and passenger floor pans, both fenders right behind front wheel, rocker panels, above tail lights and some on the roof. A good body shop should be able to take care of that.

Other than that, brakes need to upgrade. There are 4-pots calipers from other car that will fit directly. Good to upgrade brake booster also. Replace rear drum to disk brakes if you have money laying around :) Rear differential is a great upgrade also.

For my 280Z, engine is enough torque to accelerate after a turn or dead stop. Top end is kind of flat. Triple carbs seems to be a good setup and sounds great but expensive. 280ZX turbo engine and transmission swap is quite popular and cheap. I was happy with the stock engine even though it is lack of top end.

This is the site that I have got many info from. zcar.com or hybridz.org There are many z car enthusiast on that forum. They are more than happy to help.

Good luck in your Z car. I am still debating to buy one o keep.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
well...i missed the chance to get a 280zx...somebody beat me to it...now if only another old lady would show up...prefer a 240z...if anybody has 1 for sale with the original engine, please let me know. really addicted to the shape of this lady ler. theres just something sexy n powerful in the design...

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
well...i missed the chance to get a 280zx...somebody beat me to it...now if only another old lady would show up...prefer a 240z...if anybody has 1 for sale with the original engine, please let me know. really addicted to the shape of this lady ler. theres just something sexy n powerful in the design...
Personally I prefer the 2-seater S30 chassis the most. 240Z is the best of all, due to the lighter weight chassis and carbs. Good luck in your find.

sythen

May 27, 2010
Kota Kinabalu
hi guys

i have a 280zx myself and yepp, sourcing parts for it is difficult. the reply from dfws77 is interesting though, and might come in handy for me.

sorry to hijack ur thread arturo, but i thought it'd be easier to have all this info in a single thread. so, i need to ask: can the 280zx rack and pinion be sourced from another nissan model as well? and does anyone have ideas of how to get the weather strips from within malaysia?

cheers

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Hijack away...fill up this thread with all the types of problems u encounter with the old lady...it'll make a good read to noobs like me hehehe

mazranz

Sepang Circuit Staff
Mar 16, 2004
Pee Jay
mazranz.smugmug.com
if you guys are having problems finding suspension / shocks, the next best option is to get it custom made. I think there are a few around that will measure your car and make it fit just right (but those make sure you service/inspect them yearly).

After that, the feeling is superb!! Price though maybe around RM3k.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
where to get custom shocks...

1. Titan Racing Shocks - very highly recommended as they take pride in their job...

i think the website gone also already cant find it anymore but luckily i saved the address
the address is:
Jalan Mewah 3/3,
Taman Pandan Mewah,
68000 Ampang, Selangor,
Malaysia.

if you are still unclear about the directions u can contact wai loong : 0123643220 he will be more than happy to guide u but the directions are extremely easy if you just type it in google maps thats how i got there

2. custom heavy duty shocks i found from lowyat...

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/376022

sythen

May 27, 2010
Kota Kinabalu
what a coincidence. i was just surfing around int'l and local forums about springs for the 280zx. custom kits aside, it seems the way to go is tokico or eibach. i was thinking a mix of tokico blue HP shocks and eibach springs which would lower the car about 40mm (correct me if im wrong).

that setup should sit nicely on 16" watanabes.

anyway, still searching for a source for the suspension. ho-hum

mazranz

Sepang Circuit Staff
Mar 16, 2004
Pee Jay
mazranz.smugmug.com
well, make sure they are made for your car (spring rate / bounce rate). If not it'll go all over the place and not very nice to drive.

Another place for custom shocks is RSC in Sunway. You can call Clayton (012 979 0613) and he'll sort you out. I think they make shocks for rally cars and race cars.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nissan GT-R : A Day In Germany - Behind The Scene.
Even though Nissan has officially unveiled The Godzilla, but these "Behind The Scene" photos is worth of viewing. Some are never-seen-before images !

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience