The last of the naturally aspirated M-ohicans

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The current generation BMW M3 will mark the end of the naturally-aspirated era for BMW M vehicles as forced induction has been earmarked as the future, meaning that all future M vehicles will be force-fed.

Ever tightening emission standards mean that every automaker is trying to squeeze every last mile out of every last drop of fuel, with performance vehicles the first to be given a makeover. In Munich, that means turbocharging and start-stop tech, two technologies that will improve the F10 M5’s fuel economy by up to 25 per cent.

A quick glance at BMW’s current M portfolio clearly distinguishes the odd one out in the induction department. Autoblog also quotes a source within BMW that has confirmed the V8 in the current M3 will be the last naturally aspirated engine in an M offering.

While a turbo, no matter how linear or lag-free, will never compare to the high-revving, screaming nature of past M mills, the future dictates forced induction and apparently the clock has struck on that time.

Source: Autoblog

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
in thermodynamics subject back in uni..25% is a lot...phew...

so it's gonna be V6?

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
DAMN...I would never thought that bmw would opt to go for forced induction for their m series..

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Force induction is good..

Why?

imagine driving a 2 litre engine in a traffic jam.. not going anywhere but burning so much fuel..

better get a smaller cc and turbocharge it..

:driver:

kairigi

Known Member
Jan 20, 2010
Petaling Jaya
www.facebook.com
Not spooling means the injectors don't have to spray on max unless under WOT. But being force-fed, maintenance values strike up, whereas being an N/A doesn't require all the extra maintenance.

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
why turbo? because the current E90 335i (3.0 turbo) can easily have 400bhp same as current M3 after 1st stage mod and with a lot of torque at lower RPM. Summore, a lot cheaper then M3..

balmung69

Known Member
Jun 20, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
if it isnt an M3 means its not an M3 . 335 is lousy it cant stand tracking. turbo isnt made to stand. while M3 can keep going on and on without any problems. in terms of chasis too its not as rigid as M3 i presume

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
if it isnt an M3 means its not an M3 . 335 is lousy it cant stand tracking. turbo isnt made to stand. while M3 can keep going on and on without any problems. in terms of chasis too its not as rigid as M3 i presume
yes, 335 is not M3. who say that? what r u mean it can't stand tracking? is it turbo car normally got failure compare to NA while tracking? or it can't go as fast as NA in track? turbo isn't made to stand? hahahahaha...

VTEC LoVeR

500 RPM
Jun 30, 2010
Kulim
Force induction is good..

Why?

imagine driving a 2 litre engine in a traffic jam.. not going anywhere but burning so much fuel..

better get a smaller cc and turbocharge it..

:driver:
Agreed!!! it is not related to $$ but to the enviroment... people who afford to buy an BMW will doesn't care on the fuel comsumption, maintenance and bla bla bla because they are able to pay it... so, this is the time BMW change their product to eviroment friendly but still maintain on the horses... just my 2 cents.... :burnout:

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
I read rumors that the future Honda Type R cars is going the same turbocharged route as the BMW M cars..... its gonna be a sad future for NA fans...

But I guess thats the nature of things.....in the 80's it was the great turbo era....the 90's saw the rise of NA....now it seems its going to change hands again..... :ciao:

WPQ800

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2008
interesting discussion going on here......... intelligent n down to earth comments n feedbacks, keep on posting.

kairigi

Known Member
Jan 20, 2010
Petaling Jaya
www.facebook.com
Not to argue or anything, but I still think that being N/A saves more fuel and gives better economy compared to forced inducted. Injectors won't have to be as big as turbocharged engines, and when the turbo is under full spool, won't the injectors be spraying at max which is more consumption?

And another thing, let's say if you're driving at a high speed where you're in the top gear and still want to maintain the speed, the turbine would be spooling, and additional unwanted air would be forced, and the injectors would be spraying more, where an N/A engine would still run at the speed without the extra combustion power.

What I mean is in terms of fuel economy, not power.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi does rr engine fit honda city 2009 body???

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

i wan some power in my car but i dunno wat should i do , can give any advice , sum1 tell me rr fit but sum say dun fit , sumore rr engine expensive, any cheaper way??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience