The end of Lotus F1? Proton terminates contract with the 1 Malaysia Racing Team

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Which part of the F1 car has Lotus technology in it ... anyone ??

Trying to cajole the Malaysia Govt to fund his hobby using "1Malaysia" - But you see more stickers of AirAsia and Naza plastered on the car than promoting 1Malaysia

Thank god !!... finally someone in PROTON is bold enough to stop this nonsensical playground of Tony at the expense of the country, Proton and Lotus image.

Proton was taken for a joyride by Tony - Damage control of LOTUS brand now needed- hopefully not too late

Stick to what you are good at Tony, BUDGET business... stay away F1
Could not agree more....

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Tony got self esteem issues..haha....IMO....Team Lotus is dead and has been dead for 16 years....end of story.

Its really all about Tony who is worried that his dick isn't big enough for the F1 boys, so he has to borrow Lotus's dick...

My advise to Tony...show your own dick to the world....its not size that matters but how u use it....hahaha:proud:

hafidz_moro

Audi 0000 Fanatics
Feb 13, 2005
Cheras
www.coroflot.com
I think the simple facts is:

GROUP LOTUS - Owned by PROTON since LOTUS CARS / ENGINEERING and whatever left in Norfolk been bought under them..

LOTUS RACING TEAM (1 MALAYSIA) - Owned by Tony, Kamarudin & Nasarudin (PROTON come into the picture because they owned GROUP LOTUS, so they need PROTON collaboration in order to use LOTUS name somewhere at the car..)

TEAM LOTUS - Nothing to do in/with GROUP LOTUS owned by David Hunt since it is a legendary 'racing team' and he was suppose to secure the history of the team. So dat they can claim TEAM LOTUS as the only motorsport team for LOTUS until PROTON created a new team under LOTUS RACING TEAM

LOTUS RESTAURANT DAUN PISANG PJ - Who's the owner?? This restaurant should be the best sponsor ever if they manage to sponsor the curry foodie for the team! hahaha :P

Cheers everyone!

andysky5

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Jul 25, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
In short, Lotus in F1 is making Malaysia known in the World map.....so proton should NOT try to terminate it unless they have someone more capable to run the Lotus F1 team than Tony, which i seriously doubt it as it seems in their track record the Proton management is better at playing politics (easy job), SO PROTON Please keep your politics out by *Negotiation to solve any Problems* so that we can continue to have our own Malaysia Lotus F1 Team which Malaysian are Proud of rather that let "Politics" Destroy any Good things for Malaysia !!!!!

Please Wake Up PROTON !!! Cheers

alantan

3,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
kl
Visit site
'LOTUS RESTAURANT DAUN PISANG PJ - Who's the owner?? This restaurant should be the best sponsor ever if they manage to sponsor the curry foodie for the team! hahaha :P'

so if Lotus Restaurant decided to ventures into Formula 1, they are not rightful to use the word 'Lotus' anywhere in their branding? Group Lotus/Proton may need to buy Lotus Restaurant before Tony does or else , Tony would have Double Lotus and Single Egg Yolk and Proton got nothing left except for the plastic wraps.

In my personal views, i felt that Proton is putting a show to the public as they already know about 'David's hunt right to Team Lotus' but failed to acquire it wayyyy back. Tony and Tune Group on the other hand are smart enough to the biggest Lotus Comeback F1 and convinced David's and bought all his business/lisence right to Tune Group.

1) All of them is smart and successful business maker (Proton i not sure laaa) and they have great legal supports-some say women too. They must have known about the legal rights before dealing with million of dollar.

2) Proton may sound like its being stabbed by Tony but in the first regional position. Team Lotus and Group Lotus is 2 different rights and lisence. If you wanna put things together. Lotus Restaurant also belong to Group Lotus?

3) Everybody has a rock on his head including tony and proton guys. Its true because everyone wants something on the F1 car. Proton is a sponsor not an owner. They have the right to withdraw. But i failed to see its connection between Group Lotus & Team Lotus of David's Hunt. Well of course, i'm not a business lawyer. Its justt my 2 cents.

Anyway, its a good drama similiar to the USA team. gone already.

hafidz_moro

Audi 0000 Fanatics
Feb 13, 2005
Cheras
www.coroflot.com
I also heard the news that PROTON are ready set to slet-off LOTUS GROUP & ENGINEERING on my Twitter last few days?! Any comments? :hmmmm:

momo925

Jul 2, 2010
kuching
"Team Lotus and Group Lotus is 2 different rights and lisence. If you wanna put things together. Lotus Restaurant also belong to Group Lotus?"

If they are diff, y dont u try to use 1Malaysia Red-Bull Racing Team?? or 1Malaysia Pepsi Racing Team? they seem like 2 diff rights n licenses too, only if u were right. Wen it comes to international copy right n licensing dispute, it is defitnitely not as simple as tat. Try to register a Pepsi Sdn Bhd. c how much damages u need to compensate to PepsiCo Inc. =)

again, if Lotus restaurant advertised their foods in commercial wif sport cars n or any action tat might mislead consumers to relate wif Group Lotus, they wil receive letter from Lotus lawyer right after tat. =)

Personally i like to read all da discussion but den, i cant stand wif all da cock-talking around like kopitiam ahpek. for me, i thk Proton has da rights to protect the brand wic they acquired wif billions dollar, n Tunes Group has the right to bring on this matter to court to seek for advices/protection (watever u call tat). den court wil decide.

cheers. hey, if and only if, Lotus Racing name is no longer available in coming future, is tat means tat the Lotus Proton Neo r twice expensive as b4? hahaha.

Notoriez

Mar 27, 2006
I believed that this is sour grapes action from Proton.

They unable to purchase the name Lotus Racing from David Hunt before but irked when TF n co managed to purchase it under their nose. Now with the name belongs to Tune Group instead of Proton, TF and Co would be able to use the name freely as they like and Proton will not get a single cent out of it.

But i am wondering, why do Proton needed to make a big fuss about this name issue. Wouldn't it will benefit them indirectly if Lotus Racing can bring back their former glory days. Why they don't just let TF with his business knowledge to run the team as i believed most of us think the only right man in Malaysia for managing our F1 team.

driftkingII

2,000 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Bandar Utama
Visit site
wow i am shocked over this news...

i remembered lotus was happy until they made an F1 car sale (A detune F1 car for 1 million euros)

========

btw, (i am not defending proton or Mr. Tony) IMO..

this is what is saw..

Lotus Racing is a good F1 Team, look even the legend Ayrton was also in Lotus...

in my observation instead of improving the race n cars like other teams...

The Lotus team is actually not racing but trying to beat Virgin Racing in some stupid bet done by both Mr Branson n Mr Tony...

i realise that they are not racing for some points but for this stupid bet... I was hoping they both forget about the bet n race to win like what F1 is all about.. I think maybe this is one of the reason Proton fedup with them...

p/s: Does anyone knows?? Air Asia sponsor is on the Williams team ??

Last edited:

Evolution_tme

Known Member
Sep 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I support Mercedes Petronas anyway!!! :P I think Petronas did the country proud WAY more than Lotus! lucky Petronas didn't sponsor lotus if not they will be stuck in the problem now between Proton and Tune Group.

go schumi!! hahaha!

Last edited:

teamsleepnine

Mar 21, 2006
In short, Lotus in F1 is making Malaysia known in the World map.....so proton should NOT try to terminate it unless they have someone more capable to run the Lotus F1 team than Tony, which i seriously doubt it as it seems in their track record the Proton management is better at playing politics (easy job), SO PROTON Please keep your politics out by *Negotiation to solve any Problems* so that we can continue to have our own Malaysia Lotus F1 Team which Malaysian are Proud of rather that let "Politics" Destroy any Good things for Malaysia !!!!!

Please Wake Up PROTON !!! Cheers
Wake up proton?...why lah?? tony the one that playing dirty politics by quietly buying the name team lotus from a company that have been holding ransom to proton,proton at the first place gave him the licence to use the name lotus racing.

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
both parties driven by self interest, TF side was fine since thier business man. Proton? seem all the top management sleeping and went holiday a lot.

Sep 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think I know what Tony is trying to do, and it's pretty ingenius from a business perspective if you think about it. :biggrin:

It's like Rolls Royce. The RR brand is used by two different companies, FYI.

One company makes RR jet engines.
One company makes RR cars (now owned by BMW).

When the RR company splits, it also split the business into two, but both retain the branding - just as long as either one tak kacau the other business. Like if BMW starts to make jet engines under the brand RR, the jet engine RR will sue them till kingdom come.

Same case here when Lotus got split into two by none other than Mr Chapman due to mismanagement.

Group Lotus owns the car side of the business - Elise, etc.
Team Lotus owns the F1 side of the business - the one till 94 before the team ended.

Group Lotus was never given the F1 business, but when proton, owners of Group Lotus, decided to use the Lotus name for F1, as predicted by many, all hell breaks lose. That's why the name wasn't confirmed till the very last minute if you guys remember (from 1Malaysia team to Proton F1 to now). And when Proton tries to sideline Tony on his Tune/AirAsia importance, his best bet is to nail Proton back where it hurts.

Why was it allowed to enter F1 if Proton can't use the Lotus branding? My best guess would be F1 needed the teams and money last year, so cincai lah :D

May 29, 2010
Kuching
proton should just concentrate on making more reliable car domestically. usher the proton name by quality rather than spend millions on sponsorship. my proton car broke down many times and spend thousands on repair. pledge to myself never buy a proton again. :saint:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I don't know how to explain this but I feel that my 4 wheels like went in abit .. that makes my car look abit weird .. the other day I park my car at somewhere beside there is a Wira .. I check his wheels and mine his of course look better and fierce .. because his wheels fit perfectly .. why is this? Different absorbers & springs combination different result? I also saw some satrias same as mine. I never done before any screw setting becos my front don't come with the screw.

can...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience