sexycar

4,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2004
©ït¥ ðf Thïêvê§
Visit site
Hi...

I just got the below done to my car:

1. new thermostat
2. reserviced radiator (wira 1.6 twin core radiator)
3. new waterpump
4. engine new top set overhaul

But my car temp goes up to more than half & rising on traffic jams
move & stop traffic. On cruise it is slightly below center... I wonder
what is the problem.. is it my fan motor? fan sensor? My radiator
fan only runs when engine is hot.. it is not wired direct. Aircond
condensor fan is in front & will only run when i switch on my aircon.
Anyone face same problem before?

erictan30

Known Member
Nov 1, 2005
there are 2 possibility maybe 1 is the termostat not functioning properly althought it's new but sometimes still got problems and another thing is tat maybe your fan sensor is not functioning properly due to tear and wear and now it depends the air cond to cut in just the radiator fan will start moving.try to check it.good luck

Kodiak_gbl

Known Member
Feb 24, 2005
Johor
Visit site
Have you checked your radiator fan. Maybe is not spinning fast enough. Another thing is whe you servied your radiator, did you change your radiator cap. Maybe thats malfunctioning as well. Make sure you get the right cap.

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
ya.. radiator cap.. got possible the rubber ring there is old and cannot seal tight enough....

might be the weather also lar.. so hot lately.. and in traffic jam..
air not moving, heat from cars around....

to check if is the thermostat problem u can just remove the thermostat and see how is the 'result' lo

ace79

1,000 RPM
Sep 4, 2004
i have recently got this prob with my car ( B16A ) changed radiator ( broken ). Temp went up to hell and white smoke emaniating from the exhaust ( suspect head gasket now cannot handle long distance driving ) Solution : for B16A's, everytime u change the radiator or flushed the radiator, bfr putting in coolant / water into the radiator, open up the cooling bleed nipple ( i think all cars should have this, somewhere at the engine's block ) and only then start filling water / coolant. keep it up until water / coolant starts flowing from the nipple. let it keep flowing for a few good minutes, then tighten up the bleed nipple . continue filling up coolant / water until full / reach full mark. close the radiator cap, start the engine and let it idle, check the temp gauge as well. radiator fan works / switches on via 'commands' from the thermostat, and the thermostat get's it's readings from the block's coolant / water flowing inside it. if you do the steps correctly ( and all the parts you've replaced are in good working order ) everyhting should return to normal!

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
i think the immediate thing to do is remove the fan thermostat sensor from near yr radiator hose... let it run direct.. see if it helps.. FREE solution... else, change to a higher-rpm sucking fan ... previously, i turbo-ed my 4AGZE... idling temp is abit high.. sometimes keeps climbing.. i replaced it with a kancil fan.. u'd be surprised .. it actually works better than the stock toyota ones..d motor is bigger (so i presume it spins at a higher rpm)... in kancil, it is afterall, THE ONLY FAN,.. so it should be more powerful... so i DIY n modded the bracket to fit.. and it worked... but before that, i suggest u make yer fans run 'constant' instead of activated by heat sensors...

merzlimo77

Jan 19, 2006
sexycar said:
Hi...

1. new thermostat
3. new waterpump

1.what car are u using?
2.What engine?
3.Still using the fan clutch unit or u simply put a electric fan there?

to check if ur meter is faulty,diconnect the wire at ur temp.sensor and short it to ur engine block.the meter reading must go to max.if not ur meter problem.to check if thermostat is working properly,take out ur thermostat and put it into boiling water.u should see the gate is opening.if not thermostat faulty.to check if fan is rotating at it full power,start engine and wait till the fan start moving.put ur hand at the grill of ur car.if u can feel the fan sucking air towards ur engine ur fan is ok.if not fan is not working properly.

sexycar

4,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2004
©ït¥ ðf Thïêvê§
Visit site
car is ke70... engine is 4AGe 16v AE86. Radiator is Wira 1.6 auto
double row. 1 radiator fan (sucking), 1 condensor fan in front
of condensor (blowing & will only 'on' when aircon is switched on)
My radiator hoses are brand new. Thermostat brand new original Toyota.
I dont think the temp meter is faulty... all the while before I was
running carb engine, the temp is fine. Now during startup the
temp also rise to middle quite normally.. dont think temp meter
is faulty. My fan is wira electric fan since using wira radiator.. but
1 fan only... any wira 1.6 owners here? is your wira 1.6
running 2 fans left/right from factory?

Last edited:

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Since u've changed quite many parts, why not try finding another KE70 meter to test it out?
My temp meter behaves like normal and only go crazy sometimes. So its pretty hard to judge whats the faulty parts. Had my radiator flushed and serviced, fans checked, everything was working fine but it still shows high temp reading. So swapped the meter with my friend and found out its the meter's fault.
I'm using 1.6 auto radiator and there was previously 2 fans behind the radiator. Now theres 1 behind for the radiator and 1 moved to the front for the condenser :regular_smile:

merzlimo77

Jan 19, 2006
sexycar said:
Hi...

1. new thermostat
3. new waterpump

i do believe your fan motor is not working at full speed.try this..:

at idle speed note when your fan start to spin.is it when ur temp needle reached center or after.fan temp sensor works at 80c to 87c for most japanese engine.if it does then nothing wrong with ur fan temp. sensor.if u are using wira fan,it should be working with a strong gush of air at its rear.anything lest means the fan motor is kong.its a common thing for a wira fan to move sloer due to worn bush at the motor.tapping its motor with a spanner or something will alignt the amateur back and it will be moving fast again.but the only cure for this problem is to change the motor.hope this does settle ur problem.