Taking Care of Car Paint

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
han jackal, the final coating of wax/coating/etc. is what will seal and protect your paint.

regardless if you drive a proton, or a honda, or a bmw. you can protect your patin and make it last almost as well.

Some are natural waxes, some are polymers..etc.. and then some use teflon(like PPS system).

just some "very basic" ideas of what you can do....

before any protective coating is put on, its important to wash your car properly, getting rid of as much surface contamination as you possiblly can. It is from here that you decide what you want to do, if you have lots of deep scratches, you might have to send it to a professional to grind down the clear coat to smooth it out.

if your paint is quite new, usually, its just a good wash, "clay" if you have it, which gets rid of the really sticky microscopic stuff you cant see, then finish off with a polish, and then wax. a 2nd layer of wax can be put on after 1 day if you wish. As mentioned, the regular "polish" you buy of the shelf is really very very mild, and acts more like a filler, rather than a wax. if you paint is in good condition, just go straight to wax, no need to 'polish'.

From then on, its just regular washing with a car shampoo that doesn't strip wax. Most regular waxes last about 2-3 months. after that, repeat from the 1st few steps again.

If during this period, you send your car to a regular car wash, becareful, sometimes, the soap they use can strip the wax of your car.

i personally use mequiars, but as an alternative entry level product, turtle wax is good also, and they also have different levels with platinum being the most expensive(RM20-50). Permaglass is also good entry level product, and its a 'cleaner wax', which seals your paint, and gets rid of mild surface contaminants.

all you really need is,

1. was car with a proper car shampoo (good soft sponge)
2. dry with a good synthetic chammy or microfibre cloth (never use those "yellow" magic drying cloths, coz they are useless, and always leave fibres all over your car)
2. clay bar (perma glass has one thats easy to use and cheap)
3. polish (skip if your paint is in ok condition)
4. wax

-some other tips:
-never wash under sunlight.
-was your car from top down.
-always wipe the car dry after washing.(dont attempt to dry your car by going for a drive around the block)
-wash off brake dust on your rims with rim cleaner at least once a week(brake dust eats at your rim)
-try to wash off bird droppings ASAP(very damaging to paint)

There are just some basics, it can actually get more complicated than this if you have the time and patience. detailing your own car can be a very rewarding, albeit expensive hobby ;)

Last edited:

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
han jackal, the final coating of wax/coating/etc. is what will seal and protect your paint.

regardless if you drive a proton, or a honda, or a bmw. you can protect your patin and make it last almost as well.

Some are natural waxes, some are polymers..etc.. and then some use teflon(like PPS system).

just some "very basic" ideas of what you can do....

before any protective coating is put on, its important to wash your car properly, getting rid of as much surface contamination as you possiblly can. It is from here that you decide what you want to do, if you have lots of deep scratches, you might have to send it to a professional to grind down the clear coat to smooth it out.

if your paint is quite new, usually, its just a good wash, "clay" if you have it, which gets rid of the really sticky microscopic stuff you cant see, then finish off with a polish, and then wax. a 2nd layer of wax can be put on after 1 day if you wish. As mentioned, the regular "polish" you buy of the shelf is really very very mild, and acts more like a filler, rather than a wax. if you paint is in good condition, just go straight to wax, no need to 'polish'.

From then on, its just regular washing with a car shampoo that doesn't strip wax. Most regular waxes last about 2-3 months. after that, repeat from the 1st few steps again.

If during this period, you send your car to a regular car wash, becareful, sometimes, the soap they use can strip the wax of your car.

i personally use mequiars, but as an alternative entry level product, turtle wax is good also, and they also have different levels with platinum being the most expensive(RM20-50). Permaglass is also good entry level product, and its a 'cleaner wax', which seals your paint, and gets rid of mild surface contaminants.

all you really need is,

1. was car with a proper car shampoo (good soft sponge)
2. dry with a good synthetic chammy or microfibre cloth (never use those "yellow" magic drying cloths, coz they are useless, and always leave fibres all over your car)
2. clay bar (perma glass has one thats easy to use and cheap)
3. polish (skip if your paint is in ok condition)
4. wax

-some other tips:
-never wash under sunlight.
-was your car from top down.
-always wipe the car dry after washing.(dont attempt to dry your car by going for a drive around the block)
-wash off brake dust on your rims with rim cleaner at least once a week(brake dust eats at your rim)
-try to wash off bird droppings ASAP(very damaging to paint)

There are just some basics, it can actually get more complicated than this if you have the time and patience. detailing your own car can be a very rewarding, albeit expensive hobby ;)
Very nice and clear!

Can you recommend which car wash does not strip the car wax? my shampoo going to finish need to buy a new one soon. Is turtle wax platinum shampoo strip the wax of your car?

Totally agree that need a lot of time and patience for a good job.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
actually, all the mainstream entry level brands are safe. turtle wax, perma glass...etc. actually, turtle wax platinum is considered on the high end for turtle wax products already.

LizTina

Known Member
Nov 17, 2006
Thanks for tips guys ! If paint is old, should i just go for a good polish to make it look brand new, or should i respray my car ?

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
Now raining everyday i also sien to go wax this wax that already... Last few months i polished my car.. after that rained. sien want to wax already after that, just left it like that and wash only if got time until now.. how well u take care of ur car/paint also in the end u will get lil scratches wan if u drive it around no matter what . tar/mud .. whatever..

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
actually because its raining most of the time now. its even better to wax ur car. coz water dun beads up when u wax ur car. stains come off easier as well. so after rain, just use water to wash ur car. u'll be amaze how easily those dirt comes off......don't need to use car wash. sometimes from my work place i drive back raining, then my housing area is not. by the time i reach home my car dry edi :P

for me, i wash with meguiar's NXT car wash/3M's car wash. then once in awhile i use meguiar's paint cleaner for prep. then i proceed with synthetic waxes. either meguiar's #20 polymer sealant/NXT Tech wax. then lastly i seal it with 3M's perfect-it carnauba wax.

as for swirl marks. i'd say u cannot prevent it 100%. ur bound to have some. thats y for polishing, i leave that to my detailer. i do it once every 6 months.

cchcchcch

Known Member
May 8, 2007
if me i will polish it 1 year once....den wax...
acuali...can polish and wax 2geter izzt.....?
after polish....i can wax it .....

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
how in the hell do u guys find all the time to prep la, this la that la wash la, then wax ... crazy man. How many hours there gone.. tiring like hell

last time i wash n then polish my car also tangan tired like crazy ady .. din even bothered waxing it up until now ... dunno how many months. whatever with it la ..

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
hehhee...i guess to some ppl its like hobby/interest. like me, i enjoy it. i treat it like working out lor....train some bicep/tricep muscles :P

no doubt its damn tiring. i spend around 3-4 hours. from washing -> drying -> prepping -> waxing. but the end results are just orgasmic!!! gives me a hard-on each time i look at my car :P

Merce

Jul 26, 2007
would like to gather information regarding to wax products.

How long it usually last?

from what I know of it usually last around 2-5 weeks time, given the right condition, and less under a hot weather.

can anyone clarify this ?

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
would like to gather information regarding to wax products.

How long it usually last?

from what I know of it usually last around 2-5 weeks time, given the right condition, and less under a hot weather.

can anyone clarify this ?
i normally wax my car every month because i drove my car everyday. Wax last according to the weather condition how often you wash your car, where, and how you park your car. Daily ride should wax more often compare to garage car.

Quality and types of wax will determine how long it will last also. Some wax made for long lasting and some for deeper shine.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums and I just got a question to ask. I'm planning on buying a BMW 525I E34. Its a 2.5 litre engine and looks just gorgeous. I've test driven it, had people look at the car. Its in pretty standard condition. Everything works fine, automatic gearbox needs some servicing. Engine itself is pretty damn powerful for a car that old. Its done about 160k++ KMs.

Question is since I've only been driving my old proton for as long as I can remember, (I travel a lot...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience