Taking Care of Car Paint

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
Hi,
Hope you guys can share about how to take care of car paint since our Malaysian weather only gets hotter.

If your car gets exposed to the hot sun everyday, what are the procedures to make sure your paint stays shiny and looks new for a lifetime ?

Is there any special product that you can coat your paint with to protect it from the sun's harmful UV Rays ?I heard wax actually removes a layer of your paint and over a long period,your car's paint will start to look dull so its not really recommended.

Any other alternatives?

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
Use Wax, it is just a coat to protect ur car from sun's harmful UV Rays and rains. It does not removes a layer of ur paint. So it can be done often such as one a month. There is also clear coat safe wax in the market.

Polish is the one who removes a thin layer paint everytime you polish to make ur paint shine. is not recommended. Can be done every six month or above. But still depend on which type of polish. There is many type of polish also. Some remove a lot or paint, some remove a thin layer only.

You can use wax to protect ur paint. No worries.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2006
Could anyone provide more information on the brand or perhaps the type of polish, I may be using the wrong thing. Thank you.

RedD

500 RPM
Dec 19, 2004
anywhere..
how bout polish 1st.. coz paint looks so dull n long long time din polish/wax d.. after polish then onli wax... to protect the paint.. izz tat ok??? or any suggestion?? n wat type of polish n wax izzz best ? any recommendation?

HanJackaL

1,000 RPM
Dec 8, 2004
PJ
How often should one wax their car? If dull, then wash/polish/wax, if just for maintanence just wash/wax ?

Any recommended brands ? Thanks guys for tips !

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
I dunno about others, but i will wax when i feel the car need to wax. Rains or water spot will be different after you wax your car. Water will be in ball size on your paint and will easy go off and dry after a drive. You also different it will touch because it will be smooth afther wax. So i wax when there is no more wax effect on my car as i just mention above. I wax also when there is water mark on my car paint.

I so far wash and wax only. i haven't try polish yet cos it just new car no need to polish so fast. If want to polish, then wash - polish - wax. But there is a 'clay' step before polish. I never polish so i dunno how about it. You can read other threads in this section for more information.

I using turtle platinum wax now, result no bad but i didn't try other product yet. so cannot judge so fast.

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
hmm...I guess it depends alot on what car you drive-if proton then definitely very hard to take care of the lustre of the paint-it fades with time.

you can actually go to any of the professional wax/polish centres and enquire about this 3 layer wax treatment. The effect will last for about a year depending on how often you wash your car.

any dirt or water marks will only reside on the wax thus it can be easily remove with water alone. I dunno I have done this in a shop in usj-so far its good and it only cost me about rm200 for my Wira which is roughly Rm17 per month.

just my 2 cents

RedD

500 RPM
Dec 19, 2004
anywhere..
hmm.. mind tell me wheres this shop?? n wat its shop name?? u mean rm200 polish + wax??

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
keenplus can use or not??? which can remove the the scratches???
Never heard that product le, there is a lot of brand in the market le, get a branded one with range or products will be better (such as Meguirs, turtle wax, polygraze, kit, and many more). can be easy found in market and some of them are not very expensive.

Scratches ar? hard to remove o but depend on how deep is ur scratch lo. can go car grooming centre. if minor scratch can use scratch remover, there is also many brand that introduce scratch remover such as turtle wax got one with a lip stick.

But i haven't try out all products cannot tell you which product is good. so far i only use wax and detailer only. I only do window shopping all the while. haha

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
keenplus can use or not??? which can remove the the scratches???
if you are referring to fine scratch than you can try meguiar scratch x (about Rm45) or Scratch & Swirl Remover (about Rm20)

but remember all this scratch remover is just filler where after few car wash your fine scratches will re-appear again...

If deep scratch than no cure. :confused_smile:

Redline_club

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
www.redline-club.com
Never heard that product le, there is a lot of brand in the market le, get a branded one with range or products will be better (such as Meguirs, turtle wax, polygraze, kit, and many more). can be easy found in market and some of them are not very expensive.

Scratches ar? hard to remove o but depend on how deep is ur scratch lo. can go car grooming centre. if minor scratch can use scratch remover, there is also many brand that introduce scratch remover such as turtle wax got one with a lip stick.

But i haven't try out all products cannot tell you which product is good. so far i only use wax and detailer only. I only do window shopping all the while. haha
thx for the info bro

Redline_club

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
www.redline-club.com
if you are referring to fine scratch than you can try meguiar scratch x (about Rm45) or Scratch & Swirl Remover (about Rm20)

but remember all this scratch remover is just filler where after few car wash your fine scratches will re-appear again...

If deep scratch than no cure. :confused_smile:
meguiar scratch x is a polish or wax??? which wax can recommended???

m@ttz

1,500 RPM
May 7, 2006
klang
last time tried amway wax on my bike, red color after 2-3 years.. u know la, red color almost die after dat period.. gud result, looks like new n shining..

also done to my car, dark color become bling bling lo.. but now long time not waxing my car, scratch here, scratch there, keep money to change color la, hehehe..

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
meguiar scratch x is a polish or wax??? which wax can recommended???
According to their website, is a dual action polisher, with diminishing abrasive™ technology to remove fine scratches, swirls, and oxidation. From: ScratchX® G10307 Product Information

which wax? depend your own preferences. if you want high end product you can go for Meguiars's all range of products and of cost is very expensive. you need to prepare RM 88 for their Gold Class wax which i cannot affort to buy. But if you want normal result RM10 -20 per bottle wax also will done the job (i use before on my bro's car which long time didn't wax, result also not bad).

So...depend on you lar. But many ppl in this forum recommended Meguiars which provide wide range of product to take care each path of your car from interior to exterior. But you can go Ace hardware in midvalley or eneos 1 utama/metro prima to check out various brand of car care products.