subaru ver 8, evo 7, skyline gtt, and caldina gt4..

benjichris88

Known Member
Jan 28, 2008
planning to get either one of the car above but im not used to driving japs car..
therefore its kinda hard for me to choose..

subaru ver 8 sti is my first choice but i heard the maintainance is kinda high(is it true?)..
the other choices are the evo 7, skyline gtt and caldina gt4 as the price are about the same and heard that the cost to maintain is lower than a subaru(is it true?)..

anyway im hoping that people with experience or people owning any one of it could give me some opinions and some facts and comparison between the few cars..

thx guys..

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
go for evo, if possible get an evo 8 for better fc...evo maintenance should be cheaper than subaru but i'm not very sure because i dont own a scooby

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Hello benjichris88,

Maintaining sport car doesn't come cheap.
No matter what type do you choose.
Fuel consumption also not as good as non-sport machine.

1st of all getting a sport recond/2nd-hand use car, changing all the wear & tear parts also lubricant are the critical parts. This will cost u bomb...

Some spare parts hard to find (even though u have lots of money, sometime have to wait for few days/weeks).

All the listed car are good. You have to choose base on your requirement.
Either for speeding, power, relax, looks or etc...

If you like the Subaru Version 8, I suggest u go for it (follow your heart).

benjichris88

Known Member
Jan 28, 2008
thx spuzzle and pangyau for the opinion..
but i heard that skyline maintanance is consider low compared to the rest..
evo 8 is a bit pricey to me..
my budget around 110 to 128k..
anyway thx a lot..

Johnny_9

Known Member
Jul 16, 2005
KL
Hello benjichris88,

Maintaining sport car doesn't come cheap. No matter what type do you choose.Fuel consumption also not as good as non-sport machine. 1st of all getting a sport recond/2nd-hand use car, changing all the wear & tear parts also lubricant are the critical parts. This will cost u bomb...Some spare parts hard to find (even though u have lots of money, sometime have to wait for few days/weeks).
Caldina Gt-4 versus Subaru 8 : which parts are harder to get?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Caldina Gt-4 versus Subaru 8 : which parts are harder to get?
but caldina only got auto tranny rite???

-about replacement parts if not mistaken both u have to source cheap parts from hafkat..caldina stuck with hafkat......while subie got motor image as authorised dealer....

*if your heart says subie then go for it....normal maintenance all 3 cars more or less is equal..only major replacement parts qould be hard to say... :adore:

clanzkiller

1,000 RPM
Oct 31, 2006
Not sure if you already purchase your new car or not..
at first before i purchased my new ride, which happen to be 2 weeks ago only..
i made a decision on either caldina gt4 n-spec, evo 7/8 and silvia s15.

i don think of subaru cause i do not understand and lazy to learn how's boxer engine works...lolz..

however for skyline, i love skyline when i was a childhood, but then after a real consideration, skyline is a 2-doors car, whereby u can only enjoy it when u're single, time pass-by, when family born, 2-doors car will be keeping at home and only drive out maybe when u yam-cha with your frens...and sooner or later, u might decide to sell it cause planning for family ride, it could be 5 seaters or 7 or 9 and so on..so 2 doors car will be out of my choice..

so leftoever caldina gt-4 nspec and evo 7/8..of course evo wil be my priority..

i start my search on 1 May until 20 May for evo 7/8..hoping that any dealer around my area could have keep some unregistered unit for either e7/8..but the searching was failed...there is no e7 in all the dealer i went before in cheras,damansara,pj,subang,usj,sunway,OKR,OUG,puchong..and i hardly can get a second hand evo7/8 by the time wit a good condition and good price..so i loss my faith and i've decided to buy caldina gt4 nspec..

so i went to a showroom which offer the great deal in damansara, and i've tested drive, check everything from toe to head..and was going to give the booking fee the next day..

Next day, i went there, and..there is an evo 9 parked over there which is just arrived, actually not planning to get evo 9 because of the mivec thingy...so since i'm free on that day, i ask the salesperson who attended me for the caldina to give me a test drive for that evo9...before that, i also did inspect on the body,chasis, same from head-toe...

after a few run with that evo9, and i directly change my decision LOL..

i've been offered for the caldina with rm168k..and the evo9 was rm189k..

20k diff but the feeling of having it also diff....as evo is a 4 doors car, and it might be suitable for me, my family and my future family..

so, moral of the story, go for evo7 if u can get a real good condition one.. :)

?nDc?s?ve

Known Member
Sep 2, 2005
damansara
another important thing to consider is THEFT.. since we are on the topic of practicality u might want to really consider this.. and no matter how great a car the evo is, sad to say it rank the lowest in this criteria :( coming from an evo owner..

that aside, follow your heart as to wic car you will want to own and of course within your budget.. as far as performance cars go.. i believe in order to own 1, u will need to be able to afford another.. unless you're super discipline and only keep it stock and easy on your right foot(which will be insanely hard for any sane petrolhead).. that aside, the maintenance will still be more than a normal one..

having said that.. the feeling of driving one will make up for it ;) i guess that's why i'm still holding on to mine :)

Jul 4, 2010
Johor
i love my lancer evo 8.
i had to make the same choices last time , either a Skyline R34 or An Evo 8.
after whole lot consideration, i chose an evo 8, proud of it. and the maintainance is cheap.
well, cheaper thn skyline anyway.

Azu MET008

Known Member
May 28, 2009
Bros,
go with the heart says. If u choose subaru, test it first & feel it. If u like, go ahead. Later u joint and seek advice from club @ sifu...sifu..::nurse::nurse::nurse:

if my choice sure will be an EVO..:burnout:

regards

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Evo 8 mr.......
Ko tak habis2 dengan EvoMR ko yerk...

I did owned Evo7 and just sold off mine 2 months ago due to the seldon driven car...takut jadi besi buruk, been sitting on my friend GT4 with full boost and never test-drive the R34 (but R35 yes while I'm in Singapore for work).

Morale of the story-Buy Evo better.

1) Cheap maintenance (compared to others. Oil filter can used Proton one if you like, but I don't use la... hehehehe)

2) Certain tiny parts exchangeable with Protons (So no headache and little $$$)

3) Kedai potongs parts widely available...

zuzulim

Apr 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
we only can gv u suggestion~
but the last decide also depend on u~
subaru is a nice car~ the speed is u cant imagine

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Happy Merdeka from the detailien HIVE.

Whatever the problems our country is going through. It IS still Merdeka!

Following the colors of our Malaysian flag.... Blue, Yellow, Red and White....

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience