starter relay

softmuffin

Known Member
Dec 21, 2004
Hi there all ZTH users.
myself have a secound hand satria1.6 and sometimes having problem starting my car.

same say battery, some say starter.
can anyone tell me how to check my car got install an relay starter?
Cause if i buy new starter but cannot fix the problem then Rm100+ is burn..
thanks
muff KL

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by softmuffin@Feb 16 2005, 17:17
Hi there all ZTH users.
myself have a secound hand satria1.6 and sometimes having problem starting my car.

same say battery, some say starter.
can anyone tell me how to check my car got install an relay starter?
Cause if i buy new starter but cannot fix the problem then Rm100+ is burn..
thanks
muff KL
Check your battery terminal. Look at the (+) terminal. See whether are there any additional cables attached to the (+) other than the standard original one. If there are a bunch, trace these cables to see where it leads. Normally for starter relay, it would connect the (+) terminal to a fuse (fuse is optional, but definitely advisable), then from the fuse to a relay (4 or 5 terminal relay) and from the relay, to the starter motor hidden below your car's throttle body.

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
stock iswara doesn't have starter relay. Your ignition key engages the starter selonoid directly. On proton cars, the starter selonoid serves 2 functions, 1) to move the starter motor's output gear onto your flywheel's teeth 2) to complete the circuit which then turns the starter on. The 2nd step is very crucial because your starter motor can drain up to 150 - 300amps when cranking your engine.

Sometimes when you turn the ignition key it doesn't supply enough current to the starter seloniod and thus the whole starter doesn't engage as well. This can be solved by adding a starter relay. It's usually mounted near the bottom of the battery, along the black thin wire which goes to the starter motor's selonoid. But please take not that this DOES NOT exist on stock iswara. It's only added when you have problems starting your car.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by LAWRENCE_Q@Feb 19 2005, 00:52
where is the location of starter relay for iswara
Same as my instructions above. As mentioned, Proton cars has no original relays for the starter motor. Sometimes, over time, the battery power is not as strong as when new. Hence since the connection goes from the battery and split into a few connections before going to the key ignition and then going to the starter motor, Proton cars would experience starting problems similiar to a flat battery. Only after turning the ignition key a few times, only can the car start. In circumstances like this, accessories shops normally install a relay which connects the battery DIRECT to the starter motor. This relay acts as a switch and has 4 or 5 terminal legs depending on the relay type. To look for the relay, since it connects the battery direct to the starter motor, search by looking at the (+) terminal of your car's battery and follow any cables that does not look original. This cable would lead to a fuse (though not always present but it is advisable to add one) and the to a relay. The relay is normally in the engine compartment of the car. Hope this helps.

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
how do i connect a relay? since the relay got 4/5 legs one, which goes to which? can anyone draw a diagram for reference?
thanks.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by delphinium@Feb 26 2005, 10:18
how do i connect a relay? since the relay got 4/5 legs one, which goes to which? can anyone draw a diagram for reference?
thanks.
Okay. Refer to the diagram attached. This was how i wired my relay for my Putra. No problems so far. As for the fuse, use the normal car fuse. Think you need high Amp for it. Try 15A or higher (or was it 30A?). Anyone can recommend the proper fuse to use? Make sure u consult the diagram on the relay. Also dun buy cheapo cheapo relay coz they cannot last, and if the relay spoils, then u cannot start ur car. Go for Bosch, any accessories shop have them. The legs are numbered 30, 85, 86, 87 & 87A. Refer to my diagram.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by delphinium@Feb 26 2005, 13:12
thanks for the file. I'll try looking for the stuffs n get it done. By the way, I found a link :
click here:
http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/relay_starter.htm'http://www.glenn-ring.com/tech/relay_starter.htm'
Yup. That's a clean job, hehehe... not like mine. Too messy. Anyway, the starter motor is located beneath the intake manifold. U can only do it while the engine is cold, coz u might burn ur hands. It is really a very very tight squeeze. The wire leading to the starter motor is black in colour...

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
thanks for the info. I was looking for the starter but cudnt find it hehehe.. going to look again tomorrow. Already bought all the stuffs needed :)

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by delphinium@Feb 27 2005, 03:02
thanks for the info. I was looking for the starter but cudnt find it hehehe.. going to look again tomorrow. Already bought all the stuffs needed :)
Refer to the pic i attached. Look under the intake manifold (red circle). I took the picture off another topic, so ignore the arrows. The wire for the starter is leading from left to right, so u have to reach in from the left to the right of the picture under the intake manifold.

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
found the starter motor liao but MISSION FAILED. I referred to your diagram since you're riding a Putra which more or less the same design as mine. I found 2 wires. one connected to + battery terminal (thicker) , and one is connected to a 3-pin socket (thinner). Which one do I cut? I cut the one connected to the 3-pin socket (thinner one) and wired according ly to the 5-leg relay. According to your diagram, I should connect the leg 30 to the starter motor which really confused me. Which part of the starter motor to connect the leg-30 to? Nways, i just tried grounding it :P the check engine light dowan to come off . I just gave it a crank and I blow ....... my engine not. haha.. actually the fuse blewn. No electrical shop open on Sunday so I have to try again some other time.

Which part of the starter motor should I connect the leg-30 to? I didnt refer to the Web link in the first place because the writer said it's for his 74 beetle. Plus I dont know where to look for ignition wire :)

shed some light for me. thanks.

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Originally posted by delphinium@Feb 28 2005, 09:38
found the starter motor liao but MISSION FAILED. I referred to your diagram since you're riding a Putra which more or less the same design as mine. I found 2 wires. one connected to + battery terminal (thicker) , and one is connected to a 3-pin socket (thinner). Which one do I cut? I cut the one connected to the 3-pin socket (thinner one) and wired according ly to the 5-leg relay. According to your diagram, I should connect the leg 30 to the starter motor which really confused me. Which part of the starter motor to connect the leg-30 to? Nways, i just tried grounding it :P the check engine light dowan to come off . I just gave it a crank and I blow ....... my engine not. haha.. actually the fuse blewn. No electrical shop open on Sunday so I have to try again some other time.

Which part of the starter motor should I connect the leg-30 to? I didnt refer to the Web link in the first place because the writer said it's for his 74 beetle. Plus I dont know where to look for ignition wire :)

shed some light for me. thanks.
Dude,

u cut the wrong wire. You need to cut the original wire to the starter motor and it is not located from the (+) terminal of the battery. The wire which u need to cut is located under the intake manifold in my picture. Reach under the intake manifold, u would find the wire, a single black one connected to the starter motor. Take it out first. This wire connects from ur car's ignition key and NOT from the (+) battery terminal.

Okay, actually u dun need to cut anything. U can just take out the original starter motor wire from under the intake manifold and just plug it into leg 85 of the relay. Then use another wire and plug to leg 86 and ground the other end. So now u got 2 legs ready.

Then connect a wire from (+) battery terminal, attach to a fuse, the attach from the fuse to leg 87 of the relay.

Attach a wire from leg 30, and attach it to the start motor underneath ur intake manifold (the one which u took out the wire for leg 85).

Better be careful with ur wirings and make sure u understand 100% before u proceed. PM me if u need more explanations.

delphinium

Known Member
Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

u cut the wrong wire. You need to cut the original wire to the starter motor and it is not located from the (+) terminal of the battery. The wire which u need to cut is located under the intake manifold in my picture. Reach under the intake manifold, u would find the wire, a single black one connected to the starter motor. Take it out first. This wire connects from ur car's ignition key and NOT from the (+) battery terminal.
well actually that's the wire I cut. not the one connected to the +ve terminal. It's too thick if I were to cut it anyway :)

nways, I've re-connect the wire I cut and my car starts like normal. I will get another fuse later and will re-do like wat u've suggest. good luck to me hehehe.. will update later.

MAN30

Known Member
Jan 5, 2005
1. the prob maybe grounding system..check yr ground for the battery isit tight to chassis or not ,,if not tight it, (ITS CAN MADE YR CAR JERKING ALSO OR LOST POWER)

2. Possible problem also come from yr flywheel ( engage the eng when u start)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

this DIY was done quite some time ago.. i think i forgot to post it in ZTH here.. nvm now i post here...

this DIY seems to attract many viewers in my gallery... enjoy...

http://khguan.fotopic.net/c781324.html
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience