Sports Spring-How to know whether kong liao

yperd

Known Member
Jan 3, 2005
hi bros & pros,

just wanna ask? how to know whether the sports spring still can be used or not/kong just by itself?

i got my pren sports spring brand monza ie progressive sports spring but he said had be using it for 1 1/2 year alredi. is it kong alredi or can be used it.

i don wan to pasang it and later knowing that its kong alredi. waste my $$$.

can help aaa all the sifus in zth. thanks a lot bros.

wetwetwater

Known Member
Mar 9, 2004
Puchong
Visit site
according to physics, a spring can only be deemed spoilt when it is stretched beyond its elastic limit.

but in our car conditions, the spring is only being compressed. so does this mean car springs would not be spoilt ?

wat about in extreme heat conditons ? e.g. front springs nearer to the engine.

'm still learning. any bro with other comments ? please comment.

gsr

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Well, there are just too many mechanics + calculations involved in spring design, rate, preload and stuff......

Springs are made to compress under load to hold the weight (also called sag).
A good and well designed spring is made from high quality wire that is cold wound, heat treated, shot peened & pre-set so that it would not sag even under extreme engine heat condition. Just at look those valve and clutch spring....

A simple check would be to measure the unloaded height (free length) of the used spring + the vehicle ride height with manufacturer’s specs

jee_square

Known Member
Jun 16, 2005
Taman Melawati
I'm just telling my point if view here.. Logically spring is very hard to get deteriorated.. It can as we know if we cut the springs.. Spring will also get deteriorated if the load on the spring is more than the allowed sprung weight (the weight of the car only withoud loads in the car). If ur friend carries normal loads only, the sptings wud definitely still be fine. No worries there bro. Correct me if wrong aite?

ModMaestro

Known Member
Jun 13, 2005
PJ & Sandakan
agree with jee_square

'inherited' a Volvo from my mum. she used to cramp lotsa people and stuffs into the car and always avoid servicing the car(don't want to waste money, that's what she said). so when I got the car, it felt like a lowrider, everytime going over bump it scraps. and I mean really scraps.

Turn it into my project car, so send it to check it over and upgrade/replace some stuffs. Springs gone liao, even the shocks are cracked.

But one thing though, even good springs have to be replaced after a set amount of time. I guess the material will deterioate even if you keep it at optimum load. Oh and hard driving can also make the springs 'die' faster.

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
spring can be spoil ?? what I know if ur spring are en-long/ en-short by firing, it would not spoil. if want to safe for ur pay; just go to speed work and look for for hot bit spring coil, it will give u hole life warranty :D

yperd

Known Member
Jan 3, 2005
tq pren but still didn't answer my q? how do we know whether it's kong without putting it on the car.

yperd

Known Member
Jan 3, 2005
tq for the info, bro, but just to compare which is the best between progressive & sports spring. if progressive, usually how long before it sag ?

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
I think there is a machine to test springs. Seen one before in APM fctory while they were revalving my adjustables .

guest18

Known Member
Jul 4, 2004
spring will not kong ,it will sag only
especially with malaysia road condition

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Wat is the defination of "Kong'?

When the spring sags, it means its no longer preperly supporting the weight of the vehicle.

Thats mean the springs have failed.

Does fail mean "Kong"?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Finally a hybrid not for geeks, and it's here in Malaysia. To be officially unveiled next Thursday on the 3rd of Nov, The Honda CR-Z is the hybrid world's best looking hybrid, has the genes of the successful Honda Insight and is very tunable both aesthetically and in performance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience