something about stainless steel

sotplugDESIGNER

Apr 20, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
im a industrial design student,now 1 of my assign is to find out "How 2 make a knife"

ofcoz i know its made by stainless steel,but HOW???

there are 3 types of forming process in industrial which is
-solid state
-plastic state
-liquid state

so now i have to find out how to form stainless steel knife (blade) according to 1 of that 3 processes...

example > is it melt the stainless steel then pour it into mold to form the outlook/shape,when its cold,sand the sharp edge and its done? (this is liquid state forming)

but any taikor can tell a exact/confirm answer? dont care about which forming process 1st, just tell the steps if u know well in making stainless steel exspecially knife

TQ bely much for your helping!:biggrin:

TypicalGuy

1,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
KL
Visit site
i always watch how ppl make sword in the movie....
kekekk
google it lar

sotplugDESIGNER

Apr 20, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
thteh86 said:
based on wat i learnt in chemistry, chromium plays a very big part in forming stainless steel

sorry if i can't give much info....
i found chromium and how many % to form it but i want is "how 2 make a knife" hahaha,i mean make/form knife blade not how 2 make stainless steel hehe:biggrin:

sotplugDESIGNER

Apr 20, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
TypicalGuy said:
i always watch how ppl make sword in the movie....
kekekk
google it lar

hahaha u kung fu man lah

neway i googled it but cant found the exact info i wan,all also about how 2 form stainless steel only,not how 2 form a stainless steel knife:frown:

sotplugDESIGNER

Apr 20, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
thteh86 said:
time to visit the blacksmith...hahahahaha

k la, sorry that i can't help
cannot lah abang,blacksmith just heat it n hantam hantam only, i want mass production way,if i want 10000pcs mau hantam until when ah?kekeke:tongue:

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Go to a shop and buy the blade/knife/sword. Else, refer to my thread about swords and just get one there. Then sharpen it and start to have a slashing time. hehehe

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Just buy a stainless steel bar, grind it to the shape and sharpness that you want. There you go, a stainless steel knife. Also, if you want mirror finishing, you must get a wide range of sandpaper and polish it right from the rough grit of 60 right to grit 400 or even grit 600. For a better polish finish, use an orbital sander.

BTW, there are many grades of stainless steel. SS 304 being the most common and cheapest right to 308, 316, 347. And then there's even more higher grade stainless steel thats used as gas pipeline and refinery pipelines.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Just to add, chromium is not a metal. Its not something you can melt and mix it together with metal. Chromium is an important composition in any stainless steel because it resist corrosion. But of coz there's certain percentage of mixture which the steel mill probably knows more than we do.

sotplugDESIGNER

Apr 20, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
wow many sifu here... TQ 4 all ur replies

btw im not making a knife yet,just have to do research oh how to make knife blade in industrial way(mass production) like how factory make the blade, with molten liquid pour into mold or they just cut the shape out from stainless steel sheet? that's what i wanna noe...

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
sotplugDESIGNER said:
im a industrial design student,now 1 of my assign is to find out "How 2 make a knife"

ofcoz i know its made by stainless steel,but HOW???

there are 3 types of forming process in industrial which is
-solid state
-plastic state
-liquid state

so now i have to find out how to form stainless steel knife (blade) according to 1 of that 3 processes...

example > is it melt the stainless steel then pour it into mold to form the outlook/shape,when its cold,sand the sharp edge and its done? (this is liquid state forming)

but any taikor can tell a exact/confirm answer? dont care about which forming process 1st, just tell the steps if u know well in making stainless steel exspecially knife

TQ bely much for your helping!:biggrin:
aiyar mr plug...stainless stell is made of various composite ma :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wondering if anyone had their jacking points redone to their original condition as mine kemek like hell ... :o
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience