Some Questions

peachmonkey

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
Hi all. I've recently sent my car for its usual 5k service and apparently my mech has discovered more than a few problems with my ride. I'm driving a 1996 Proton Wira 1.5(M)...running on a carburator.

1. Engine mounting needs to be replaced.
2. Front absorber mounting is cracked and need replacement.
3. Left arm need to be replaced.

My questions are:

i. Do I need to urgently replace my mountings or can it wait for a few months more? And if I do replace them, will I still be able to transplant another engine into my car using the new mountings?

ii. Is it advisable to replace juz the front absorber or both front and rear? I'm currently using the stock absorber paired with APM lowered springs. If I do intend to change all four, what brand is reccomended and can they be paired with my current springs? Should I use oil, gas or gas+oil shocks?

iii. Is this serious?

According to my mech, my car can still be driven but I intend to nip the problems in the bud before they become more serious.

Any advise from all the sifu's out there?
Thanks!

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
1. Engine mountings help reduce the transmission of engine vibrations...if they are really gone..i think u should replace them as they are not expensive..
Whether u will be able to use them with other engines depends on the engine itself.

2. i think u can just replace the damaged abs.
3. if it is serious..for these type of things u have to see how much mechanical damage has been done..

dome zero

Known Member
Jun 14, 2006
1. if the engine's vibration quite, change it. my ride abit this problem la, thn it leave it 1st lo.

2. like ehaab said, no need change all. im using KYB gas asb, no bad, price ok, feel harder .

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
change if u cant live with it...dont change it...if u dont have that much cash yet...just like me...living with a worn out mounting for 1 year
hehe

peachmonkey

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
ehaab said:
1. Engine mountings help reduce the transmission of engine vibrations...if they are really gone..i think u should replace them as they are not expensive..
Whether u will be able to use them with other engines depends on the engine itself.

2. i think u can just replace the damaged abs.
3. if it is serious..for these type of things u have to see how much mechanical damage has been done..
Hrmm...if I plan to transplant a 4G91 or 4G93 into my car in the future will I still be able to re-use the new mountings? Or will I have to change them?
I was quoted around rm300 for mounting change. Acceptable?

Replacing the damaged abs only? Should I use back the stock one or go for AEM parts? If AEM, what brands should I consider?

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
are they changing all the engine mountings for rm300!!! i thought they were cheap..my car is NOT a proton..and i bought an engine mounting for around rm50

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
1. Engine mounting needs to be replaced.
2. Front absorber mounting is cracked and need replacement.
3. Left arm need to be replaced.

My questions are:

i. Do I need to urgently replace my mountings or can it wait for a few months more? And if I do replace them, will I still be able to transplant another engine into my car using the new mountings?

A : depends on when u will do an engine transplant. if soon, then leave it as it is. otherwise, just change the front and rear mountings which are reasonably cheap (between 30-50). excessive vibrations normally comes from these mountings which will tear due to wear. this of course can be corrected by increasing idel speed, but will affect FC though minimal.

ii. Is it advisable to replace juz the front absorber or both front and rear? I'm currently using the stock absorber paired with APM lowered springs. If I do intend to change all four, what brand is reccomended and can they be paired with my current springs? Should I use oil, gas or gas+oil shocks?

A: must change in pairs to ensure an even suspension performance as well as grip. either front pairs or rear pairs. for newly fitted absorbers and case of leak, its OK to change only the defective one. gas absorbers give harder ride but better control and roadhandling as the car dont bounce much.
i would like to suggest u try Monroe Sensatrac as well as APM's version of it. of coz APM is a lot cheaper lah. Sensatrac gives good compromise on comfort and handling.

iii. Is this serious?

A: normal problem for suspension lower arm is torn bushings. u can just replace the bushings at a fraction of the cost. change the arm only if it is bent or dented.
if u change the arm also, it will be recycled and sold as new. (replace bushing and respray new black paint - easy)

peachmonkey

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
When the mech said to change the mountings he said to replace all the mountings. I'm not sure how many there are in a wira's engine bay but he quuted me around rm300 plus labour.

zan,
i.You said front and rear mountings. How many are there in a wira's engine and where are they located? If the cost rm50(at max), would a quote of rm300 be reasonable? If I do plan to change my engine I can't reuse back the 4G15 mountings can I? Even if the engine I plan to change to is a 4G93 or a 4G91?

ii. The Sensatrac you suggested, is it a combination of oil+gas shocks? Since I'm currently using APM lowered springs, would it be better to use APM shocks? Would it lower my ride even more?

iii. I'm not sure if the bushing is torn or the whole arm needs to be replaced. Didn't have much time to ask yesterday. Will ask for furthur clarification.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, I just noticed that my car's steering wheel automatically swerves to the left whenever I ease my hands off it. My car, of course automatically turns to the left as well. The steering doesn't swerves much, just a slight tilt to the left.

I just had a 4 piece of tyre changed last week. What could be wrong?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience