Some questions on turbo (carburetor)

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
hi all

i wanted to ask some questions about BOT on carburetor car..
hope sifu sifu here can help me.

1. If running suck through setting, than after the carb, the piping will contain fuel + air, so if i have BOV, than will be wasting petrol? (fuel + air will comes out through the BOV when it open)

2. if running blow through setting, than we need to have a box to enclose the carburetor? (so that the inner and outer air pressure of the carb is the same). So if the carb is in a box... how do we tune the carb.

3. If running turbo (low boost) on air-cooled engine (e.g. old beetle engine, or some porshe engine), will the engine gets overheated? how bout long journey.?

(not so related questions)
4. what is the smallest capacity engine to have a turbocharger... beside the L2 Mira engine.

hope sifu sifu here can help me on the questions.

Thanks in advance

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
1. If running suck through setting, than after the carb, the piping will contain fuel + air, so if i have BOV, than will be wasting petrol? (fuel + air will comes out through the BOV when it open)
- u will be wasting whole lot of petrol if wanna BOT carbie engine... that little bit doesnt matter...

2. if running blow through setting, than we need to have a box to enclose the carburetor? (so that the inner and outer air pressure of the carb is the same). So if the carb is in a box... how do we tune the carb.
- of coz u need to enclose the carb... if not how to compress the air via turbine??... carb is tuned vr rich so when turbo spools, u wont blow ur engine...

3. If running turbo (low boost) on air-cooled engine (e.g. old beetle engine, or some porshe engine), will the engine gets overheated? how bout long journey.?
- dun worry about overheat lah... u will be running rich all the time... the fuel will quench all the heat spot away... if u still worry, can use higher heatrange sparkplug...

4. what is the smallest capacity engine to have a turbocharger... beside the L2 Mira engine.
- so far i've seen, honda EX5...

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
carbs are not easy to be turbocharged unless its STOCK TURBO CARBURATOR

u can see old school turbocharger cars running on carb, their carbs are diffrent, they have selenoids and things to deliver more fuel to the carb when boost comes in , in ur carb, there is no such thing like that

i have a fren who did turbocharge his carb, its not gonna be easy, this is the way to go , first , enclose ur carb , install a bov but u have to reroute it back to ur turbo , next , for fueling u need a greddy REBIC wich will cost u 300-500 buck, fix a extra injector at the enclose piping between turbo and carb, use rebic to open up ur injectors and tune up the car, bt i know one thing, ur car gonna drink fuel like water cos u can never fine tune , next is throw ur AC pump , drive ur fueling with fuel pump

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
wow...
thanks for the answer

so to fine tune.. is better to run a suck through setting than blowthrough...?
can assume like that?

btw... since its a carb
do i need extra fuel pump or regulator when running bolt on?

thanks in advance

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
i see...

if running on blow-thru setting
if i not wan to enclose the whole carb

any other way? maybe just some parts needs to be same pressure as the intake?

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
for the fuel supply this is what i did b4.. reroute the fueling and use external pump like normal injection cars and fit in a fuel regulator.

but waht jinkl said is correct.. u need to enclose the carb and use additional injector... if u wan kampung style u can opt for the injector pressure switch which on your injector when you reach certain pressure.. but then sendiri mau ingat la... the injector is on or off only .... pandai pandai play wid it la

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
but waht jinkl said is correct.. u need to enclose the carb and use additional injector... if u wan kampung style u can opt for the injector pressure switch which on your injector when you reach certain pressure.. but then sendiri mau ingat la... the injector is on or off only .... pandai pandai play wid it la
means the additional injector will only squirt fuel when boost enters??... means there is not steady AFR mixture between no boost and boost??...

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
If i take out the whole thing
and replace with EFI

can i put the injector at the piping before the engine block?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
If i take out the whole thing
and replace with EFI

can i put the injector at the piping before the engine block?
err... like that gonna be normal BOT lor... u will be using fuel injection intake manifold... injectors will be at where it should... all u need is to change to bigger injectors...

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
something to share i found in "not ur shot" subforum..

what does this method called??... single DCOE mounted before the turbine... not a conventional way where carbie mounted before intake manifold huh...

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
mounted before the turbine..
so is a suck-thru system...
dono how to install a BOV on such system.

skywalker bro...
so if put the injector on the manifold
(instead of inside the engine header like normal engine)
it will work right?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
haha... honestly i dont have any idea about turbo engines....

theoritically might work... but there might also be some other problems occur later....

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Warning: Rasta Car Wash At Taman Tun Dr Ismail.

My advice kepada semua,

Today 28/3/16 saya hantar cuci kereta saya di rasta ttdi. Mereka basuh kereta menggunakan soap powder dan some red chemical untuk basuh body kereta and those banglas are too lazy. Rim lansung tak bersih dan masa mereka vacuum carpet pun mereka tak keluarkan.

So sesiapa yang sayang kereta jangan hantar kat rasta TTDI. Kalau sesiapa yang tak percaya cakap saya you boleh cuba sendiri hantar kat rasta ttdi.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience