SCAM Or NOT SCAM? Hard to differentiate?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Dear ZTH Members,

I received a text message today asking if my car still on sale. Asking me to send an email to him/her and stated urgent.

I believe everyone who is selling their cars should be more careful and take note of such e-mails.
I'm surprised and amazed at the same time that their e-mail replies are very convincing and it would make you think that this deal might be true and might not be true. A 50/50 chance I would say.

Whether is a scam or not, even if it is a genuine buyer, I still smell something fishy and I dare not take the risk to actually go for the deal. Unless any seller here is desperate enough to sell their car, they might get convince to sell their car to so called buyers from overseas. The 1st reply may get you to think that is a scam and conman for sure. The 2nd one, they replied with a reply that would give you some assurance that they are actually genuine buyer.

Yet this time round, Paypal was involved in this conversation between me and the real/fake buyer.
Paypal from what I know, is always buyer and sellers are protected but when things goes wrong, seller would usually be on the losing end. Been there done that.

But then, buying my car is not really through eBay or anything. So, I do not know how is the deal going to go about. Anyway, I did not proceed for the deal and I don't feel good about it.

Just create this thread to warn every seller out there about such scam/tactics that conman are using to cheat you. I heard of such cases before. If I have not, I would have fall for that deal that seems too good to be true. Like they said, any car deals that seems too good to be true, be careful.

I can't say is a scam yet as I don't have solid proof to confirm it. But let's see what you guys thing about it. Dare to Deal or no Deal?

Here is the conversation through e-mails:

SMS Message Received in the Morning:
Is your car still available for sale?
Kindly email me on: [email protected] as this is urgent. Thank You!

I replied through email: Yes, my car is still available.

He/She replied: Thanks for the prompt reply. My name is Malena Leon. I believe my son sent you a text message to email me for the sale. I will like to know the lowest price for it and i want you to get back to me with more pictures and its current condition because i can't come over to inspect it. I am buying it locally here as a gift for my son that is living in United Arab Emirates

I am at sea at the moment as i am an Oceanographer ( i work on South Pacific Ocean in east of New Zealand ) and due to the nature of my work, phone calls is restricted. It was my son that check your advert and sent you a text to contact me (his mother ) on my email address because i am currently offshore .

I am really sure he will be more than happy if i am able to purchase it from you because this is what he want and chose from the Advert.

You need not worry yourself about how it will get to him there in United Arab Emirates as i have a contact of shipping company there that will be handling the pick up and all the paper work.

I replied (testing): Lowest price is RM**K that I can offer you. May I know where to deliver the car to you? Is there anyone for me to deal with personally for the payment in Malaysia?

Pictures are all in this link: (The same website that your son visited)

He/She Replied:
  1. I will be making the payment through paypal and i will only do that after i have received some pictures and information about it, then i will let you know if it is all okay with me or not.
  2. The money will go into your paypal account and i will also wait for the money to be fully transferred into your bank account so that you can be sure that I'm a legitimate and trustworthy buyer.
  3. The shipping agent will contact you after the money is 100% completely safe in your bank account and the transport agent will only contact you for the pick up at your given time, date and location.
  4. The vehicle will need to be de-register first before it can be shipped out of the country and the documents of change of ownership will be done by the Pick Up Agent when they get there so you don't have to get worried about that as the shipping agent knows about the procedure.

I hope this satisfy your curiosity, and answers your questions.
What do you guys think? To me is just another familiar and common con tactics.

Also, one more thing that tick off that is a scam, the so called son SMS me with 016 whereby he (the son) is somehow living in the United Arab Emirates. :hmmmm2:

Please be careful guys.

Last edited:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
that's a scam bro......terang2 u can know edi...

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

give the fella my number, I will reply "pls transfer the whole amount into my account 1st then only I will release my car to u"

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
That Oceanographer thing already sounded like a scam. How many people do you know who work as that and what are the possibilities of someone in that rare profession contacting you.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
that's a scam bro......terang2 u can know edi...

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

give the fella my number, I will reply "pls transfer the whole amount into my account 1st then only I will release my car to u"
I just replied "I have a friend confirm to take the car for RM29K. Thanks for your interest."

Then no more reply LOL!

K number is this. 0166168356. (Her Son) LOL!

Yes bro I know. Is a scam. Just to warn those who are not aware of such emails/news.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I just replied "I have a friend confirm to take the car for RM29K. Thanks for your interest."

Then no more reply LOL!

K number is this. 0166168356. (Her Son) LOL!

Yes bro I know. Is a scam. Just to warn those who are not aware of such emails/news.
I think when it comes to things like these, it is better to make a deal with people who you can meet them face to face. Better yet if you know where they live, work and where they usually go. Nowadays, scammers are everywhere and yet there are a lot of people being conned.

BTW, I din't know you are also selling your car. Which one?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I think when it comes to things like these, it is better to make a deal with people who you can meet them face to face. Better yet if you know where they live, work and where they usually go. Nowadays, scammers are everywhere and yet there are a lot of people being conned.

BTW, I din't know you are also selling your car. Which one?
My Subaru CKD, interested? Or any friends interested? posted in ZTH.
Ya, even small items without COD already can get con. What's more if it is selling cars.

Even bigger scam. Heard of it before that's why I'm aware.

No wonder digi ran out of numbers for 016. Didn't know it was expanded until United Arab Emirates.
:rolleyes: :rofl:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
My Subaru CKD, interested? Or any friends interested? posted in ZTH.
Ya, even small items without COD already can get con. What's more if it is selling cars.

Even bigger scam. Heard of it before that's why I'm aware.

No wonder digi ran out of numbers for 016. Didn't know it was expanded until United Arab Emirates.
:rolleyes: :rofl:
The first thing I thought about when you mention Subaru CKD is that new Subaru XV which is a CKD model. :rofl: Don't know got friends interested or not. I just checked your post. I thought you want mod it like TR's FLX. Upgrade to what car next? 25k can get you AE101 with 4A-GE already. :biggrin:

BTW, what's COD?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Oceanagraphers are very very very very highly paid people. They'd be able to pay cash for any car in UAE itself. Screw this kind of scammer. I hope they burn in real life and then followed up in hell.

jfjohn

Mar 11, 2013
Selangor
Bro Supra,

Its a hoax.. my friend last time got conned with the same email.. though some words are different, but the style is the same.. was supposedly selling her ipod but ended up in a mess that she just took it as she lost the ipod. Sad.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
The first thing I thought about when you mention Subaru CKD is that new Subaru XV which is a CKD model. :rofl: Don't know got friends interested or not. I just checked your post. I thought you want mod it like TR's FLX. Upgrade to what car next? 25k can get you AE101 with 4A-GE already. :biggrin:

BTW, what's COD?
COD = Cash on Delivery. No la, never really planned to mod the Subaru. Kelisa and another car might be possible. :biggrin:

Oceanagraphers are very very very very highly paid people. They'd be able to pay cash for any car in UAE itself. Screw this kind of scammer. I hope they burn in real life and then followed up in hell.
That's the thing. UAE got so many nice cars, why my Subaru? LOL!

Bro Supra,

Its a hoax.. my friend last time got conned with the same email.. though some words are different, but the style is the same.. was supposedly selling her ipod but ended up in a mess that she just took it as she lost the ipod. Sad.
Thanks for reconfirming on that bro. Ya, it is sad. Just have to warn all of friends on this.

twistedpotato

Aug 9, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Haha from Mudah ah bro? I got this few times when I sold my phones before. Only replied once and ignored it after that. Kept getting similar story lol. Pretty sure one of those conjob syndicates based in africa . Seen a documentary about the syndicates before.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Haha from Mudah ah bro? I got this few times when I sold my phones before. Only replied once and ignored it after that. Kept getting similar story lol. Pretty sure one of those conjob syndicates based in africa . Seen a documentary about the syndicates before.
Ya must be from Mudah.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Is it impossible to learn how to correct your car paint? Nope...it does not takes an alien to do it...
Written this thread to share with you how a detail/restoration works! but however it will be easier if one would have prevent it from being thrashed......

IMPORTANT NOTE
You dont need to goes thru this process if you prevented it!
Eg. "from the start" " at the begining" when your new car was delivered or after repainted -
All you need to do is a simple regiment of maintenance wash -...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience