Satria GTI AWD

- J f D -

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Absolute monster. There are 4wd proton's running here in Malaysia too i bet, but not legal.

Thumbs up to the owner, the spec sheet looks mightily impressive. I like the stock GTI look though.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
got many 4wd proton running around malaysia lar... many hidden punya, coz illegal mah....

best example is wanbra_garage's satria vr4 and the white saga 4wd caught recently by jpj....

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
oooh, yeah i knew about the illegal ones in malaysia. that video of a rwd white satria doing donuts is pretty impressive too. In fact my dad was once given a offer to get our older wira running with full AWD and 4g63 as well by a proton dealer :cyclops: . This was like back in 1998 or something. Thank god he didnt take up the offer otherwise ntah ler.. might have run into a truckload of fines and problems.

just something i thought i might share even tho there is a such things on our soil already.. :P

cant wait till the day i can get my hands on a front n back evo halfcut and properly convert my lancer coupe with AWD goodness.

there's a few more AWD lancer coupe and a AWD wagon inside that evocoupe site so if anyone finds worklogs or DIY stuff interesting like me there's a ton of stuff in there worth reading.

Cheers :)

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
cool...so how come awd is banned?...sorry for the incompetence...

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
Coz essentially it involves cutting out and rewelding the rear floorpan.

1. the right way of converting one is to actually to drill out all existing joints and rivets and remove the entire stock floorpan(which extends from somewhere on the rear seats to the entire boot floor section including the spare tyre wheel well which means when the floorpan is removed.. all you see is this massive hole in your entire rear section).

2. Then either purchase a evo 1-3/ GSR rear cut and then removing the same floorpan from that rear or try to source the rear floorpan from MMC in japan (last i read they were doing a stock clearout and was selling the floorpan at 1k aus each brand new. this was i think a year ago).

3.Then you reweld the floorpan to your existing car and tadaa.. you now have all the proper mountings for the rear diff, driveshaft, AWD fuel tank + exhaust. At this point you can also reweld any other joints in your car to proper evo standards as well.

Thats essentially a basic rundown of what you need to do. There might be a few steps i am not aware of as this is my deduction from the conversions on evocoupe.net

the common malaysian workshop way of doing it is to cut JUST the AWD mount section on the rear floorpan and also cutting the same area off your rear floorpan and then rewelding the new ketul of metal back on. Obviously this not only reduces the integrity towards the car's structure.. but depending on application.. the welds might just crack under pressure.

This is why AWD conversions is banned in malaysia. Ozzie land u first have to seek the advice and permission from a certified Road Transport Authority engineer where you will present your ideas, plans, or modifications and the methods you are going to take to get it done. The engineer would then deduce if you have met all conditions and steps to make the car roadworthy when its completed. If not he will advise you on the procedures that are needed and the extra factors that are involved. At this point only you can actually start work on the car. And once its finished... off to the engineer again to get it inspected and certified for roadworthy.

Its really a tedious process and really require loads of determination to do (also deep pockets if you dont know how to DIY most of the stuff).

My plan is to either start doing this when i attain my degree and get a proper job here. The thought of a 2 door Evo makes me high esp when its unique in a sense that its not a factory option at all.

I think i might have got most of the major points on the conversion right otherwise correct me if i'm wrong.

Cheers

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
But I've seen a Satria GTI at Kg Baru Subang that is 4WD without the need for floorpan re-welding.

The GTI's rear section, from what I can see, had a 'hump' that allowed for the rear diff to fit to. The owner said that he didn't cut the floorpan because his version of chassis had enough clearance for the rear diff.

The rear arms needed some mods. They're stock Evo rear arms, but mounted on a custom subframe that's bolted AND welded to the floorpan to make sure that it doesn't budge. Really beefy square steel sections.

Apparently, his car is street legal as it did not require mutilating the original floorpan and compromising the integrity of the monocoque..

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
Ahh, yes.. now that you've mentioned this... i now recall some older protons already equipped with some of the awd mountings. My post above can now be taken with a pinch of salt... :P hehe

My few assumptions.. could be wrong.. so again do correct me if i am
1. As we all know, the first batch of the proton badge engineering cars usually has most of its parts from MMC in japan (and assembled in shah alam). The gti could have used the same mirage j floorpans(which was AWD) since the car is meant to be a little tougher than their normal counterparts.
2. proton was given the FULL tooling schematics thus they just build according to that (which might have included the awd build specifications also and then later they modified the toolings/moulds to remove this bit as they found that it might not have affected structure integrity so much).
3. These body parts are produced by mitsubishi , proton could have initially bought these parts first before they went into full scale production locally. So they might have bought the best of the crop of body parts to be used on the first batch.

These are just some of my assumptions. I really have no exact idea on this bit why some protons has actually a fraction of the AWD specs or mountings already. Also i am not sure if the awd mountings or designs still exist in later models. Some of my points above might not make sense ( typed this post @3am.. sleepy daa..)

Hrm... speaking of which.. what i mentioned in my previous post could just be relevant for lancer coupe. Some research shows that the mirage VIE saloons came in awd but no production lancer coupe came with awd. In any case.. all the non AWD lancers in australia are build from the standard tooling which had no awd mounts whatsoever so my views could have been biased by this fact.

ok.. sleep time before i start to yak incoherent crap.
Cheers

offtopic: hrm...That Mirage VIE Saloon side profile looks awfully similiar to the Waja side profile... o.O...

alien

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
nice read..
so there's some batch of protons tat require no modification on the floorpan to install the rear diff..
hmm.. now to find out which of them are..
haha..
could the famous C99's stiff chasis be one of em?

Last edited:

kk13

1,000 RPM
Oct 29, 2005
cool,thanks for the info!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, need some enlightenment from sifus here.

My ride is with DP0 gb as below

Now, after doing some online search, I was able to obtain both DP0 and AL4 transmission manuals. Also from my online readings, seems like the terms DP0 and AL4 are used interchangeably as though the two are similar. But, after reading (more like browsing through) both manuals, I'm a bit confused as the manual for DP0 recommend...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience