Samsung's new plug in OBD2 device has wifi, real time tracking etc

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I've used an OB2 bluetooth dongle to perform diagnostics and code clearing on the Clio. With a good phone app, it'll even display real time engine vital stats, even acceleration figures, lap timers and so on. So i'm sure some of you techies will be turned on by this device. Plus it's got LTE / Wifi hot spot too

Exciting news for car owners. Samsung recently introduced their latest Connect Auto device, designed to be the intelligent centre of your car. This ground-breaking connected car solution will provide added motoring advantage to both the consumers as well as the commercial industry. Commercial industry how? by enabling business owners fleet management capability to track their vehicles in real time.

Original post here: http://www.zerotohundred.com/2016/s...real-time-tracking-and-added-fuel-efficiency/

This device plugs into your car's OBD 2 port generally located at the underside of the steering column or the center console.

Samsung OBD-2 Connect Auto Device provides:

• LTE Wi-Fi and Hotspot
  • Car recovery via "Find My Car" via real time tracking
  • Secure communication via Samsung KNOX, defense-grade mobile security platform
  • Encourages safe driving via geo-fencing and driver rating algorithms
  • Emergency / Collision alerts notify driver’s saved contacts
  • Fuel efficiency analysis helps drivers consume less fuel
  • Virtual mechanic checks car status and recommend needed repair / services
  • Journey logs generate email report to track expenses while traveling for work

Full an original post here:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2016/s...real-time-tracking-and-added-fuel-efficiency/

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm rather interesting but I'm still wondering what will be a real benefit specifically for me to buy this thing.
- LTE & wifi hotspot, how does it work? It hot spots from your phone or this thing has a slot for SIM card?
- The car recovery tracking would help me find my car if I forgot where I park it but would not help me recover my car if stolen coz this thing would be easily found and taken off by the thief since it just plug into OBD port. So just minor benefit I suppose.
- Secure communication via Samsung KNOX, defense-grade mobile security platform: what is this function actually? Sorry never used Samsung phone before. :biggrin:
- Encourages safe driving via geo-fencing and driver rating algorithms: what is this also? It rates how safe of a driver I am? :biggrin:
- Emergency / Collision alerts notify driver’s saved contacts: so it will notify everyone in my contacts? Or involve setting up some pre-selection first of a few contacts. This seems a good benefit if it can send just to a few selected contacts just in case, knock wood!
- Fuel efficiency analysis helps drivers consume less fuel: hmm I don't need this.
- Virtual mechanic checks car status and recommend needed repair / services: this sounds good, just like reading error codes using phone I suppose.
- Journey logs generate email report to track expenses while traveling for work: hmm not needing this too I guess.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Got to find out more what it can do and of course what is the cost of the unit?

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Most important, the price.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm rather interesting but I'm still wondering what will be a real benefit specifically for me to buy this thing.
- LTE & wifi hotspot, how does it work? It hot spots from your phone or this thing has a slot for SIM card?
- The car recovery tracking would help me find my car if I forgot where I park it but would not help me recover my car if stolen coz this thing would be easily found and taken off by the thief since it just plug into OBD port. So just minor benefit I suppose.
- Secure communication via Samsung KNOX, defense-grade mobile security platform: what is this function actually? Sorry never used Samsung phone before. :biggrin:
- Encourages safe driving via geo-fencing and driver rating algorithms: what is this also? It rates how safe of a driver I am? :biggrin:
- Emergency / Collision alerts notify driver’s saved contacts: so it will notify everyone in my contacts? Or involve setting up some pre-selection first of a few contacts. This seems a good benefit if it can send just to a few selected contacts just in case, knock wood!
- Fuel efficiency analysis helps drivers consume less fuel: hmm I don't need this.
- Virtual mechanic checks car status and recommend needed repair / services: this sounds good, just like reading error codes using phone I suppose.
- Journey logs generate email report to track expenses while traveling for work: hmm not needing this too I guess.
Thanks for the questions guys, I've since sent a query to Samsung to obtain more, especially availability and price

I would think this device would provide everything a bluetooth dongle would, so with the right app / software, one can stream real time engine stats or track distance travelled, costs etc.

But what's interesting about this Samsung thing is that it could like support simcard for LTE / hotspot

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Tom, make Samsung give you a special rate and make it attractive, then we can all consider buying one. Haha!

Incidentally, although not as feature packed you can get a generic OBD2 reader from Ebay for USD14 or less. So if Samsungs one is competitively priced, that would be aweseom

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Tom, make Samsung give you a special rate and make it attractive, then we can all consider buying one. Haha!

Incidentally, although not as feature packed you can get a generic OBD2 reader from Ebay for USD14 or less. So if Samsungs one is competitively priced, that would be aweseom
I've informed and am eagerly awaiting official releases from Samsung Malaysia about their Connected Auto device, lets see if it comes to Malaysia.

I got my bluetooth dongle for about RM40 2 years ago and i love it. When experimenting with mods on the Clio RS, there were times where the engine will throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) and all I had to do was plug the BT dongle and clear the errors from my phone via the Torque App. If the Clio hadn't come with the RS monitor, I'd probably invest or use one of my old android devices as a multi function display to monitor or log these vital stats

Anyone with a modern car should get themselves a BT OBD2 Dongle, I highly recommend it

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've informed and am eagerly awaiting official releases from Samsung Malaysia about their Connected Auto device, lets see if it comes to Malaysia.

I got my bluetooth dongle for about RM40 2 years ago and i love it. When experimenting with mods on the Clio RS, there were times where the engine will throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) and all I had to do was plug the BT dongle and clear the errors from my phone via the Torque App. If the Clio hadn't come with the RS monitor, I'd probably invest or use one of my old android devices as a multi function display to monitor or log these vital stats

Anyone with a modern car should get themselves a BT OBD2 Dongle, I highly recommend it
Yup, I had CEL on my Chery SUV so sent beck to SC. They clean O2 sensor and kena charged RM120. Later bought BT dongle from ebay plug in and found O2 sensor still faulty, so bought from spare part shop change and koatim, and also CEL was erased using the BT.
Next will be like what you mentioned, get an old phone for metering..... :driver:

hitz

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Kepong, KL
Sadly my car doesn't support ODB2 device, else I would invest in 1 too.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greetings,

Just need to confirm with you guys, is it possible that Satria 1.6 using the small spare tyre (like Honda) rather than the normal spare tyre?
Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience