Saga Stall Problem

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Car: 1991 Saga Auto AB 1.5 Carb 12V 4G15P Magma

I got no history record of this car since i bought it direct from a gd owner 3 months ago.
In this 3 months using this car for go to work, it has stalled on me 3 times in 3 months.
The first time it stalled is when my dad took the car to go pasar, it suddenly stalled
and behind got cars coming, so he put to N, crank the engine, and luckily the car
was able to start back immediately, he put bk to D and zoom away. The second time it
stalled was when i want to go home after finished work, the car started fine and i
drove the car away from the office and it suddenly stalled after moving a few blocks
away from the office. The brake pedal was hard and i used the hand brake to pull over.
Tried to crank the engine few times and it just wont start. Then i let it rest for like 2
minutes and got it started like nothing happened. Third time it happened was yesterday,
while coming back from work, it was nearly 11pm. From office to home is 35km away,
when i traveled halfway, the car suddenly stalled again, brake pedal fails too, i slowly
turn the car to the road shoulder and stop it with hand brakes. Crank few times but cant
get it started, this time it took me 10 minutes of rest and i was able to got it started.

Now i am scare to drive the car. When the engine dies, there goes the power brakes
and steering too. I might ram into something or killed someone it this happens again.
I wont be so lucky all the time. Now i need to troubleshoot the problem and narrow
down the possibilities. Needing yr feedback and views on such case. Thank u :nurse:

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
hi bro,
previously i had met like u experience before, if i'm not mistaken, try to check ur spark plug, spark plug cable may be worn or out. may be try to check the distributor as well. normally this sympton is like current voltage supply not so well.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Spark cable already changed, plugs already changed to NGK Platinum,
distributor cap i opened and saw inside got carbon and i cleaned it as well.
What i can say is the ignition system i already made it perfect after the
2 incident, still stalled for the 3rd time, so problem persist.

Now i got a question. If i start the car and then remove the battery, will the car die?

Anyways, the batt terminals already cleaned and nut tighten when
i was doing the ignition system. Grounding all checked, no problem.

feipepe

Known Member
May 12, 2010
balakong
broteh,
did u can manage to check what type of brand distribute using? if u r using the taiwan one...normally taiwan one have problem like u mentioned. or try u ask foreman to align the timing ignition to higher level see still have stall problem or not. because if the taiwan distributor, there need to align timing ignition more higher than.

if after the car running, then remove the terminal battery, then engine confirm not die because car ignition still have the alternator for generate the car voltage. that's y all of our car have the alternator.
car battery only play the role during initial starting car.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
20years car! Time for OVERHAUL! :driver:
Overhaul is a gd idea to restore an old problematic engine bk to like new
and it seems my engine still going strong and there is no smoke and sometimes
i saw water drip out of the tail pipe. Overhual maybe later, as for now i tried not
to fork out more money for that since i just changed all 4 tires and 4 absorbas.

check the carby solenoid switch...it could be the culprit that cause the engine stall...
May i know on which part of the carb do i find this solenoid switch? Is this the only thing
on the carb with a supply wire leading and attached to it since u said solenoid, it would
usually needs power to operate. What is the function of a carb solenoid switch and
when malfunction, does it cause engine to stall during driving?

broteh,
did u can manage to check what type of brand distribute using? if u r using the taiwan one...normally taiwan one have problem like u mentioned. or try u ask foreman to align the timing ignition to higher level see still have stall problem or not. because if the taiwan distributor, there need to align timing ignition more higher than.

if after the car running, then remove the terminal battery, then engine confirm not die because car ignition still have the alternator for generate the car voltage. that's y all of our car have the alternator.
car battery only play the role during initial starting car.
During the time when the gd owner was selling me his car, he did mention that the
distributor was new. He changed it not too long ago and asked me to go find a tuner,
he said the tuning is fine tapi boleh sedap lagi. He recommend me his friend in
Sungai Petani to do the tuning but till now i still not go visit his friend.

Regarding u ask me try align the ignition timing higher, i feel that its already higher
coz from the first day i got the car till now, there is already knocking sound when
accelerating below 60km/h, once above that the knockings gone.

If i am looking at the distributor from the driver side of the car,
turning the distributor clockwise means advancing or retarding?
Now i see the distributor was turned clockwise a bit towards
the radiator. Whereas my sister's wira and dad's iswara, their
distributor are centered. Only mine is different. They never get
knocking while i got knocking. :banghead:

Last edited:

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Could it be vaporlock?

Or the cheap fake fuel filter? This is the only thing i changed 2 weeks after i got the car.

On the petrol refill hole, beside got a smaller hole, i wonder where is it leading to?
Is it the petrol return line or a vent? The vent could be block and causing pressure
to built up.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, i think i got it. Lucky i guess, i found a breach in one of the vacuum hose.
The hose was like reput already, so all the dirty air from outside gone in, damn.
No wonder i felt acceleration not smooth. Looks like a vacuum leak, eh?
Dun know coincidence or not, the damage hose happens to connect from carb
to the distributor solenoid, i dun know what its function, it looks like a UFO sticking
on the distributor.

So guys, what are my chances that i have got the culprit?
Any theory to share will be a big welcome.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Let’s be honest shall we, we’ve all, at one time or another, wondered what a race car with no rulebook to reign it back would perform like. Luckily for us, renowned Formula One aerodynamicist Adrian Newey and the rest of the Red Bull Racing head honchos daydream too.

The end result would be the Red Bull X1, the brainchild of Newey, and being...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience