SAGA (proton)

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
It was older still if you consider when it was launched in Japan.

With the full model change of the Mirage in 1983, the new Lancer Fiore marked the 4th generation of the Lancer line. The Lancer Fiore incorporated the latest in computer control engine technology including an electronic fuel injection for its high performance 1600cc turbocharged engine with a power output of 120ps. For the fuel conscious, a 1800cc diesel engine was added as well as the new 1500cc MD (Modulated Displacement) engine which was developed by Mitsubishi Motors and introduced to the market for the first time.
Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20041122...hi-motors.co.jp/docs6/history/html/lancer.htm

And the Jap version had better engine technology.

Last edited:

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
i hope this helps..

The Saga family started life in 1985 as a heavily re-worked Lancer Fiore. However, main chassis structure remained same to maintain the low cost.
Proton Saga was Malaysian's 1st car for the people, thus must be cheap so, no frills or thrills. it was a very good effort though, with the challenge comes from Toyota Corolla LE AE80 (later EE80 for 12v version) and Nissan Sunny B11 as 2 top sellers in the 80s.

It was a basic transportation on 4 wheels. nothing broke down, except maybe the vacuum actuated 5th gear (during that time Mitsubishi also not good in making transmissions - remember super shift Tredia/Cordia? Mitsubishi knew how to make 5 speed RWD gearbox but not for FWD. super shift was the solution).

The bumpers were made of steel, so that it can be painted (plastic bumpers paint technology only came in 1988 with AE92 Corollas, B12 Sentras and SH4 Civics). They are stronger and easier to repair compare to plastics that break upon an impact. but Proton later discovered the weight disadvantage problem and change to alternatives in 1992.
Engines were ancient Mitsubishi's Orion series engines, nevertheless modern as of that time.

in 1987, Proton had the Saga facelifted with introduction of Magma models. The Magme model is similar to what Cyclone engine for Mitsubishi. very minor changes with new 1.5I model alongside 1.3/1.5 S specs. the I suffix did not stand for EFI but rather stands dor a more luxurier model with power assisted steering, electric power windows as well as electric powered mirrors and semi bucket seats.
S = Sederhana @ Medium spec
I = Istimewa @ Special spec

in 1987, Proton introduced the 5 door hatchback version known locally as the Aeroback. The conversion from Sedan to hatchback body style was done in house.

in 1988, Saga gained its 1st automatic transmission as an option. Honda, Toyota and Nissan all upgraded their mid class sector models to avoid clashing with Proton in the dominated medium-low segment. Saga started to lack in class.

1989 = Proton entered 1st oversea market - the UK. it became the fastest growing franchise dealer in UK then. Proton was known to be as cheap as Lada, Seat, Skoda, Yugo and Hyundai but with better specs and quality. However they lost their focus since then.
Locally, Proton injected new icon the market with introduction of Saga Knight. It came only in special metallic black finish and striking body decals. It became hit instantly as the sportiest Proton thogh nothing fancy about its mechanical specs.

in 1990, Proton upgraded Saga with multivalve engines - derived from Mitsubishi. It was known as the Megavalve locally but sold in UK as Proton Triple Valve. Gone was the vacuum activated 5th gear transmission but new was the carburettor with its variable venturi design. It was the most powerful and most economical Saga, and with famous for reliabiliti it burst to the most successful Proton.

1992, with help from a British institute Proton produced the 1st major facelift over 7 years (actually the 3rd). Being symbolic to the changes, the model was known as Saga Iswara. In UK, it was called Proton MPI. This is due to all Sagas in UK then comes with EFI @ Multi ECI an effect of stricter emission control. A limited numbers of similar models were also sold in Malaysia but only in high end spec - 1.5I auto. The name was Saga Iswara CARES. It stands for Clean Air Regulated Emission System. and to show Proton commitment to greener earth it comes only as green.
Local spec Saga though gained a new carburettor with automatic choke function.

Saga Iswara stayed loyal to its design for about 11 years, being the best seller in Malaysia but nowhere else.
During that time numerous other models were introduced too. amongst them
1. Wira 4 door sedan @ 5 door hatchback
2. Perdana 4 door flagship sedan
3. Satria @ Wira 3 door hatchback)
4. Tiara
5. Putra @ Wira coupe
5. Waja
6. Juara

That was until 2002 when Proton decided to give it a minor cosmetic revision again - the 4th time. New and welcome changes include steering wheel, instrument meter and new light clusters. The name Saga Iswara LMSS.

Then in 2003, Proton instructed another major facelift again. This time around the name Iswara was thrown away. The new car is called Saga LMST (sorry, not sure the definition). New to it is redesigned front and rear bumpers, new body garnish as well as a complete redesign dash fascia.
The Saga had been a heritage now in its 21 years life (as Proton alone; not including life as Mitsubishi) when its competitor like Corolla, Sentra and Civic got 4 'all-new' models.

I am not sure how long more Saga will be in market (maybe until 2020 which is only 14 years away). but Proton really needs Saga as the the cheapest basic entry to their car range.
Cheap as in..... - no EFI(what more forced induction), no all discs setup, no active safety device like ABS, EBFD, ETC, SRS Airbags or VSC, or high tech gadgets like digital instrumentation, automatic climate control - otherwise the price will be up sky high!
Get it? :D

*reference
ABS = Anti-lock Braking System
EBFD = Eletronic Brake Force Distribution
ETC = Electronic Traction Control
SRS = Supplementary Restraint System
VSC = Vehicle Stability Control

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
They already have a fucking cheap alternative. The fucking Savvy. Just fucking price it fucking cheaper and stop ripping Malaysians off with overpriced shite.

Sorry, mood swing.

hobcai

Known Member
Dec 7, 2005
cheap car with low quality !! :baring_teeth:

got many strange sound cant be fix.........even kancil less defect lol !!

trxx

Known Member
May 9, 2005
wahh good history of saga . thank u

so , u dont recomend me buy saga .then what i should go ? RX-8 rotary engine ?
price and good technology ? how bout korea cars, good ?

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
trxx said:
wahh good history of saga . thank u

so , u dont recomend me buy saga .then what i should go ? RX-8 rotary engine ?
price and good technology ? how bout korea cars, good ?
erm... if you can afford budget for korean cars or even the rx-8, why the hell you consider the saga at the first place?

i recomend a nicely looked after 20 year old toyota crown.. sure syok..

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
SkYwAlKeR said:
i recommend an AE86 than the LMST... both uses the same old technology... but AE86 is driftable and more powerful... hehehe....
wat about the price?:biggrin:

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
cheaper and better quality. .:D :D

or u can buy the old corolla or old sentra also better....
find second hand one

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
SkYwAlKeR said:
someone is selling AE86 2nd hand in KL for rm30k... still cheaper than LMST rite??.. hehehe....
ur wrong. AE86 has DOHC 16V and EFI. all sagas come with SOHC only, either 2 or 3 valve per cylinder and only a few has EFI. there are big difference between them in terms of power, ride and handling as well as looks.

AE86 Levin or Trueno is thumbs up any time.

but 30K for a 20 years old car...no loan rite?

p/s tell me about rust. sighh...