RM115k for new Proton R3 or Top Up for DC5

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
Ya, it doesnt blend together that way like yellowflash said. In conclusion I dint say the car is bad, but what they've done is upside down. Should have rnd more on the engine, at least, produce 160-180bhp, or slap on a turbo. Prove it to be reliable for at least 3 yrs in the market then only comes out with this 115k car. And yes power is NOT important all the time, like the Lotus Elise only got 120whp-ish, but hey that's a sports car weights about 600kg. But sad facts is that Lotus wasnt popular nor a collectible in the UK or Europe n they went busted only proton so clever to buy it's company shares and owns it. And Lotus have always been focus on handling of the chasis NOT rnd in engine performance. How can proton BORROW Lotus' badge and says "ENGINEERED BY LOTUS" ? Engineered in which sense ? The Campro CPS isnt designed by Lotus, it copied Mivec design. The Neo chassis isnt designed by Lotus, its a spy car of the old Mitsu Mirage. Did Lotus invented Ohlins and AP ? NO! So what is this 115K car is about ?

Another issue is, how would you feel after paying 115k, ends up same ol Proton problem, not even 3 months have to visit SC all the time and getting frusfrated ? The basic foundation in quality built still faulty. I have koligs around me driving persona and neo, all complaining to me problems like the car is 5-8 yrs old but infact they just bought it. All felt cheated and no choise have to keep pay high instalments. This really SUCKS !

No matter what proton did, seems like they can never make things right all the time. Sorry for the truth. We malaysian in bolehland earn HARD BLOODY SWEAT money, no one gonna invest in such 115k proton car.

Last edited:

aziziell

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2007
before this car launched, 11 car already booked..after the launched who know now all car sold out..and sad but true we still fighting about this car hahaha.....

luqae

Known Member
Dec 4, 2008
WHY compare this car to a dc5 in the first place? this car should be put against a suzuki swift sport,mini cooper (not the s version), an other car in its 1.6 league(forget about vtech not everything should be compared to it), i bet any of this 2 car can be tapau by a b16b.. but if u compare this car price between this three car that cost as much as the neo r3 LE its beats this other three car by exclusivity, perfomance, handling and such. would u get an ap 4 pot caliper on a suzuki swift sport? or a mini cooper( not the s version) performance with a proton maintenance (the mini one version produce less hp and torque). and this car are cost around the same price as the satria neo LE so personally for me although it may sound ridiculous to pay that much for a proton you should look at a bigger picture.

Honda definitely come out with a great car but sometime u get tired and bored. want fast car get a vtech haishhh borrrrinng!! even in sepang all vtech, just cause vtech can win on those straight line in sepang, but if they put extra corners and obstacle like the monza rally show the result will be definitely different.

by the way with the new 1.6 turbo regulation for 2011 WRC that is based on current s2000 cars, next year there are a probable chance that proton will come out with a 1.6 turbocharged cps..who knows?

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
it is not just fitted with carbon fiber hood and lotus emblems. this neo is more than that. performance upgrades such as ; AP 4 pot racing brakes, Öhlins DFV (Dual Flow Valve) fully adjustable coil-over, stiffened rubber bushes and revised suspension geometry, 16-inch Advanti alloys wrapped with 205/45 Bridgestone Adrenalin rubber, R3 Titanium Exhaust Headers, R3 Alloy Underdrive Pulleys, R3 Tuned Exhaust System, R3 Carbon Fiber Airbox, R3-tuned camshaft profiles, R3-tuned siemens ecu, bla bla .. and the list goes on. if u think it is still not worth it? then try to compare this car with vios trd which cost 91k, suzuki sport 93k. furthermore this is limited production car. R3 can increase the hp if they want but since this car is on the road car, they still need to follow euro emission std.

just my 2cents.

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
Hometown:Penang
Ya, it doesnt blend together that way like yellowflash said. In conclusion I dint say the car is bad, but what they've done is upside down. Should have rnd more on the engine, at least, produce 160-180bhp, or slap on a turbo. Prove it to be reliable for at least 3 yrs in the market then only comes out with this 115k car. And yes power is NOT important all the time, like the Lotus Elise only got 120whp-ish, but hey that's a sports car weights about 600kg. But sad facts is that Lotus wasnt popular nor a collectible in the UK or Europe n they went busted only proton so clever to buy it's company shares and owns it. And Lotus have always been focus on handling of the chasis NOT rnd in engine performance. How can proton BORROW Lotus' badge and says "ENGINEERED BY LOTUS" ? Engineered in which sense ? The Campro CPS isnt designed by Lotus, it copied Mivec design. The Neo chassis isnt designed by Lotus, its a spy car of the old Mitsu Mirage. Did Lotus invented Ohlins and AP ? NO! So what is this 115K car is about ?

Another issue is, how would you feel after paying 115k, ends up same ol Proton problem, not even 3 months have to visit SC all the time and getting frusfrated ? The basic foundation in quality built still faulty. I have koligs around me driving persona and neo, all complaining to me problems like the car is 5-8 yrs old but infact they just bought it. All felt cheated and no choise have to keep pay high instalments. This really SUCKS !

No matter what proton did, seems like they can never make things right all the time. Sorry for the truth. We malaysian in bolehland earn HARD BLOODY SWEAT money, no one gonna invest in such 115k proton car.
U are not alone in this world, there are plenty of rich car collectors out there...and it seems this time proton have done a good job making this one a limited edition neo and thats y it is on that price tag of spanking RM115k...

First y its so expensive;
1) there are only 25 units, so material wise and parts doesnt come cheap unless mass produced...
2) its a limited edition/collectors edition...still hard for u to understand?
3) R3 tuning...do u think its easy to get a tuners part? only u if are willing to make a hole out of ur pocket...
4) Handling wise is still acceptable...

Lotus Engineering;
1) it doesnt mean they developed only can call them engineers...engineered also means that they are able to optimize based on the RND done on a single subject...
2) dont even compare this limited with other neos or personas etc2, unless u go for a test drive for this limited neo, then u are wise to speak...

Power Wise;
1) its a little underpowered because this engine is only released recently unlike other engines 4age, b16,h22,etc2 furthermore campro follows the Britain emission standards so R3 RND would had hard time to optimize the power and emission release...
2) Im also disappointed in this R3 limited because i myself was hoping for a turbo Proton, but i would say better stay N/A for awhile because Proton is still new to this CPS and better have them under observation and more RND before even plunking a Force Induction...If not surely will become a disaster...

As for u Nurburing, Im not trying to flame u but as u are right now i could say u are blinded by Honda and me myself is blinded by Toyota but the difference between us is that im able to accept the fact that Proton is able to put on a show rather better than previous times and now maybe pushing a little forward towards consumers enthusiasm. Unlike u who wouldnt or didnt want to understand the meaning of RND and u simply have a mind of a narrow road that leads only to ur conclusion urself. For me, Id say give em the chance to prove themselves in Proton and R3.

And try to understand the price tag will ya?it is already mentioned in earlier posts about the few possibilities of logical explanation to put up the price...and u still wouldnt understand? And also, better good enough if u can put up a link telling that CPS copies mivec...Please proof this...And also 'ENGINEERED BY LOTUS' doesnt mean a full Dev, its a collaboration dude...please understand this...

its like if u and i open restaurant, i cook rice, u make drinks, that's collab' bro...got the picture?

P/s A hint go search wikipedia as a kick start and read properly

Last edited:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Nurburing,

You got sooooo many facts wrong. You need to read more. Your previous arguments were flawed, but the statements you put out in your recent post here makes you look a bit foolish.

Lotus and proton have jointly developed a lot of what is in today's protons. Lotus have given vast inputs on many things to proton from engine to chassis. Just do some PROPER googling and u'll see. Not take something that someone commented on Paultan or something and take it as fact!! Malas gua nak point out what facts you got wrong. But most of it was rubbish. Jin Jat has already set some straight... and stop talking like car/engine development is a no brainier... "Slap turbo get 160-180 horse, prove reliability then sell 115K"... talk easy la brader...

Another typical bit of Malaysian mentality like urs... If somethings goes wrong with a Honda or Toyota or any other make its ok, but Protons have to be perfect and faultless?.... get real!! And i like Jin Jat's point... just because u don't have or don't want to blow RM115K on this neo, doesn't mean there aren't others that can and will do so...

btw, i don't work for proton, i don't even have one.... yes, they have issues, we all know that... but i try to be objective of what i hear and read about them... not just take on some sweeping remark or stick to old stigma...

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

if money is not a problem...i would buy this car just to annoy you

hahahahaha:itsme:
:biggrin: hahaha...

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Awesome looks. No arguments about the price, AP racing brakes, etc etc. Im sure this is a great car to layan, as even the standard NEO is pretty solid round the corners. U want exclusivity, pay for it lah!

However, i dont think its a step in the right direction for proton. I would favour them developing a MASS PRODUCED neo GTi, that could replicate success of the old satria gti both on track and off track.

If they can build a mass production neo gti around RM10-15k more than the current h-line, then market would surely bite. Malaysians now rich maa. Everyone also wanna track, as evident by the trackday traffic jam at turn 1-2.

This neo r3 LR, is basically a PR train lah.

Christ-R

Known Member
Mar 13, 2010
KL
hmm... Rm115K for a 145hp performance ride??? i dont think so...
indeed it has some goodies inside of it.... but it seem like din hav potential at all....

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
hmm... no potential at all? if im not mistaken R3 won the 2008 mme and 2009 sepang 1000km race with a non cps neo. as for me, i do think this car got potential. just need a little bit more touch up and a good driver =D

p/s: even ae86 can beat mustang. good setup is the answer. hp?

kennwee

Sep 26, 2006
Penang
satria neo's roof is too low seriously and the space between the seat and steering wheel is really annoying. :(

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
Hometown:Penang
Awesome looks. No arguments about the price, AP racing brakes, etc etc. Im sure this is a great car to layan, as even the standard NEO is pretty solid round the corners. U want exclusivity, pay for it lah!

However, i dont think its a step in the right direction for proton. I would favour them developing a MASS PRODUCED neo GTi, that could replicate success of the old satria gti both on track and off track.

If they can build a mass production neo gti around RM10-15k more than the current h-line, then market would surely bite. Malaysians now rich maa. Everyone also wanna track, as evident by the trackday traffic jam at turn 1-2.

This neo r3 LR, is basically a PR train lah.
i also hope that Proton will release good and better cars for performance, cruise and others sooner or later...i think they are still under RND for the turbo CPS and supposed to be in the exora Prime first...Hope that they found the solution into making a good and competitive performance/Sport car...

Just hope that they make the second Gen of Putra and Sgti...after long years of waiting, only time will tell...better cross our fingers and hope that the time is already near us...

Maybe for the long run ill wait for a 2nd gen putra with plenty of upgrades in it...better save up money from now...

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
I dun 1na argue abt d RM115K price tag anymore.pointless.just 1na point wat i read in 2day's NST,CBT section regarding dis Neo R3 LE.never was it stated dat it's gonna b LIMITED to 25 units ONLY,they quoted Proton's CEO saying they INTEND 2 make dis Neo in limited numbers.BUT will increase production IF der is good response...now,i wonder how wud those who paid RM115K after being promised d exclusivity of being one of 25 ONLY Neo R3 LE owners wud feel IF Proton really produced more thn dat la8 on?!hehehehehhehehe

davvycroix

Known Member
Aug 22, 2008
Melaka, KL
how many people in malaysia could control >160 hp car in a corner?
how many people ever thought that this is only the 25th years of proton since its established?
besides business deals, i believe proton's 1st priority is to teach us malaysian how to control a car during corners rather than having lots of powers at the engine and not controlling it.
btw, besides, proton is gonna produce turbochargers rite?
if you could see, campro is proton's first made engine made themselves.
so its their pride is on the line here.

besides that, comparing the r3 lotus racing neo with a honda dc5 is like comparing a r35 with a ferarri.. i believe their are at a different class rite?

joe has the point there.
skills and skills.

ohlins(superbike brand) custom coilover around 20k
ap racing around 10k?
the price of a cps on the road is around 58 -63k ( when it first launch la, but now i dono whats the price of it)

with the coilover and the brakes only, it is reasonable to sell it for 70-80k? :|

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

BMW Malaysia has introduced a new variant into their 5 Series offerings locally, the BMW 528i, that will once again aim and set a new benchmark for the segment.

“The BMW 5 Series has always played an iconic role in the history and success of the BMW Group here in Malaysia as well as throughout the world. With the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience