RM115k for new Proton R3 or Top Up for DC5

Jin_Jat

Known Member
May 2, 2009
Hometown:Penang
I think the R3 guys & techs are given guidelines from Proton & Marketing Dept to produce this LE Neo. If they are free to do anything to the car. I don't think this will be the final product. R3 guys are car enthusiast like us and they would consider the whole package (inside and outside of the car) if there were no limitation put into their ideas. Just look at the Satria R3....lots of goodies inside out.

The R3 guys did a neat job. Maybe is the Marketing Dept that is putting a limit on them... I think the meeting went something like this:

Marketing: 'OK, we will come out with a LE LR Neo...our target selling price tag is about MYR115K +-. You R3 guys do as much as you can on the car but the final cost should not be higher than 115K but also need to be reliable & suitable for daily drive '
R3 Guys: 'Alright, we will discussed with the other R3 people and list down what we can put on the car and how we will do this'

I believe the R3 guys still can make the CPS pump out more HP. With more aggressive cams, rebuild the full engine, stroked it up...etc...There's a lot that still can be done to the engine. We all know that increasing the HP on a NA engine cost more than a forced induction engine.

If the price tag was set at 150 or 160K..Heck, I believe this LE Neo would be punching out even higher HP and drives even harder...but in the end, people will still say 'CRAZY AH!!! 160K for a LE Neo...buy EVO8 better lah' :biggrin::biggrin:

I think Majority of Malaysian still don't get the idea of Mass Produced car & Limited Edition cars. But there's also another problem with the car manufacturer in Malaysia...Sometimes the word 'Limited Edition or Special Edition' is wrongly use...just like what we see on the road now....drive drive half way...wah~~when did this model come out with 'Limited Edition or Special Edition' then drive another few minutes...Oit~~another SE or LE....why say SE still can see everywhere wan....
Well said...R3 guys are enthusiasts too...They'd do better job making the neo if there arent someone upstairs shouting to do what have been told...and also the pointed out SE and LE terms wrongly used is also a factor...Some Malaysian cannot differ btwn SE and LE, which in the end they refuse to accept one's manufacture...

believing that the NEO R3 LE will be Limited Edition...means that its production will be limited to a certain number...which also means it has some sentimental value to the manufacturer and also the buyer of the car...This is the cause of the high price...its Limited...The sort of jumbo bimbo upgrades included in the package is to satisfy and react as an eye catcher...which also is not cheap...Also i believe in this R3 neo, the performance parts are not as easy to get which makes the car more valuable than a mass produced neo...

While SE is like another spec of a car which comes with some minor or mid upgrades, maybe a little alternated body kits, some performance parts and etc2...

Still R3 really did a good job on the Neo...

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
The s4ph is based off a mitsu 1.3l. To get 1.6l proton had to increase the stroke length as the maximum safe bore has already been reached to get 1.6l. For r3 to perform a higher spec engine mod it would require a stronger crank shaft to support the stress of having to push the piston further upwards as opposed to a square engine where bore and stroke be relatively equal. Using a higher profile cam would put a lot of unwanted stress on the engine as the higher the revolutions the more difficult it will become to push the piston.

It's kinda like riding a bicycle. Put the seat too low and your knees will hurt because the angle of force applied downwards would cause your knee to bend at acute angles to achieve the necessary torque to move the bike.

Similarly the reason why the f22c Honda s2000 comes with an enforced 8500rpm limit whereas the original f20c has a 9000rpm limit. This is due to an increased stroke length with no increase in bore, just like mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
So,d S4PH is STILL based on a Mitsu engine?now,i never know dis.all d while i really tot it was a 100% M'sian effort.now dis kinda makes sense y Proton opted 4 d S4PH over d E01,coz they too dun need 2 pay any start up capital 4 any R&D work.

well,back 2 d topic....if it's spec vs spec,i'd still choose a DC5 over d Neo.but if factor in d price, must oso consider d DC5 being pitted against d Neo will b a recon unit @ least.so,it's not really an apple vs apple comparison.

hmmm.....really wonder how dis Neo R3 will drive?d Neo CPS is supposed 2 eliminate d torque dip problem already,right?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To All Sifu,

I just install arkdesign advance boost controller to my car.Appreciate if all sifu here to explain and teach how to do the setting. A bit confusing on SET and GAIN. Normal boost 1 bar for my car .My car spec is VR4 engine ( rojak ) TD 05 with[FONT=&quot] Tial 40mm wastegate and Tial 50mm blow off.

TQ

[/FONT]
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience