Review: 2015 Megane RS275 Trophy-R + On-Board Video

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I recall a friend who had a GT3 with the racing clutch. It was a mega pain in the ass to do hill handbrake maneuvers and traffic frog hops were not fun. Eventually gave up that clutch for the standard soft-ass clutch. Less grip, less power but hella easier to live with.

And I'd drive a manual everyday over driving an auto anyday.
Your friend uses the GT3 as daily drive car?

Uphill.....tell me about it. Clutches like those 'ON & OFF' switch type is a real PITA for sure.
For those on & off type, that means every time you move the car, you need to step on the throttle to prevent stalling?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yes, GT3 daily. Well, now no more. Changed to a XF Jag.

On-Off meaning the biting point of the clutch is extremely sensitive and low, so need to rev like mad otherwise stall but rev too much and you wheel spin and make a lotta noise. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, GT3 daily. Well, now no more. Changed to a XF Jag.

On-Off meaning the biting point of the clutch is extremely sensitive and low, so need to rev like mad otherwise stall but rev too much and you wheel spin and make a lotta noise. :biggrin:
Many years ago I drove a 240Z got the same effect like you. Step a little, engine stall, step to much the car surges forward, cannot control the clutch and accelerator timing.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've test driven some Evo also with super heavy on-off racing clutch like that! Ugh, no good leh!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
unless for circuit or drag racing, people should avoid these heavy clutches. It takes away the enjoyment of manual driving

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Exactly, it is no fun when one keeps stalling the engine and bunny hopping during stop and go traffic

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
too many people upgrade clutch first before power...and even sub 200hp car using 300+hp (or higher torque) rated clutch...

those ceramic/metallic plate type and loceng kring kring type....for show "sound" :rofl:

and later complains hard to drive, left leg muscle bigger than right leg etc etc...

race clutch/competition clutch is meant for the specific purpose...not slipping during competition...the rest doesnt matter be it noisy,rough,eating syncro and hard to press because of stiffer cover spring for grip....

if me even on uprated car power...i will still just stick to organic type plate and stop at heavy duty grade clutch cover....all other aspect doesnt really matter to me...

heck even in rally competition i still stick to organic clutch type...so do all my manual ride....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
too many people upgrade clutch first before power...and even sub 200hp car using 300+hp (or higher torque) rated clutch...

those ceramic/metallic plate type and loceng kring kring type....for show "sound" :rofl:

and later complains hard to drive, left leg muscle bigger than right leg etc etc...

race clutch/competition clutch is meant for the specific purpose...not slipping during competition...the rest doesnt matter be it noisy,rough,eating syncro and hard to press because of stiffer cover spring for grip....

if me even on uprated car power...i will still just stick to organic type plate and stop at heavy duty grade clutch cover....all other aspect doesnt really matter to me...

heck even in rally competition i still stick to organic clutch type...so do all my manual ride....
But I have also heard that upgrading the clutch will improve performance? Like I've always heard about 4G15 engine using 4G92 clutch will help to increase performance.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
But I have also heard that upgrading the clutch will improve performance? Like I've always heard about 4G15 engine using 4G92 clutch will help to increase performance.
clutch replacement doesn't alter performance of the car.
you might be referring to the flywheel instead?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Unless your clutch is slipping to lose power, a stronger clutch does not add power, the power comes from the engine......:smokin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Renesis : It's the flywheel. And changing to a larger/lighter clutch/flywheel doesn't really do much other than change how the engine responds. Faster / quicker, that sorta thing. Perhaps your 0-100 will improve a little. But that's about it.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
clutch replacement doesn't alter performance of the car.
you might be referring to the flywheel instead?
I think it is the flywheel then. What I have heard previously is something about Wira 1.5 changing into the clutch from Wira 1.6 which also requires something like modifying the clutch cover. Sorry, what I heard that time is in cantonese not in english, so I wasn't so sure what it meant.

Unless your clutch is slipping to lose power, a stronger clutch does not add power, the power comes from the engine......:smokin:
Then I guess those who use those heavy racing clutch on street cars is rather pointless. No point in getting those Ogura Super Single Clutch :banghead:

Renesis : It's the flywheel. And changing to a larger/lighter clutch/flywheel doesn't really do much other than change how the engine responds. Faster / quicker, that sorta thing. Perhaps your 0-100 will improve a little. But that's about it.
I've also heard about making the car easier to accelerate during uphill if 4G15 is using the clutch from 4G92.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Someone change HKS sqv blow off fin edi, change it to gold colour sound like how, it's more aggresife ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience