Regounding ECU Earth

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Today since nothing much to do , i change the ecu ground lugs, and also reground (not normal grounding -ve to body and engine).

What you need,

-some Lugs "sliver lugs its better" you need minimal 6 that can fit size 10 bolt

-size 10 spanner or T, (if you change your battery -ve bolt, need the correct spanner also normally its size 13)

-1 Meter earth wire (no need expensive) go electric shop buy awg 10, or awg 8 wires also ok (like the amp cable). cost no more than RM 5/Meter. I use my old harness wires (from my previous car)

-Solder Iron, and lead. best its 40 to 50watt

- PVC Tape, get the high quality one. I use 3M High Temp tape (can withstand 130c heat :biggrin: ) this its the same tape i use when building a S13 track car some years ago. You normally can get it at the electric shop selling high voltage cable. (pasar road got).

What todo

01) Open the top Engine cover (for A32) 2 nut and 1 bolt, you will see 4 earth wires, connected with 4 lugs. after so many years of driving the lug and cable contacts will not be good, especially this lugs and wires are not solder.

02) replace the lug with the new silver lug please solder the lugs. Tape the wires, doing so will prolong your wires due to excessive heat generated by your engine.

03) make one earth cable using the 8awg wire and lugs.

04) connect the custom made cable to the same location the ecu earth its.

05) bolt the lugs together

06) Connect the other end of your earth cable to your battery -ve terminal.

07) Close your engine cover.

To make things simple

Before
ECU---------------Engine

After
ECU----------------Engine--------------(-ve Batt)

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Oh, if got time, do the AFM ground also. it will give you better respond.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
Wei Kee, are you sure those are not the injector earth points you are talking about? As far as I know, the ECU is grounded to the body inside the cabin.

I do, however, agree about the AFM. Gotta find some time to do it later... :smile:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
I am not 100% sure, but checking the engine harness, i don't see the grounding are made near the inside body. Also thats not injector earth point on the engine. nissan normally ground the ecu earth to the engine, it does that on the RBs, SRs, GAs, QRs.. the VQ should be the same.

Furthermore, the injector are -ve trigger. can't be earth right :)

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
I'll try get some photo to help you guys.

btw, today after warm up my car, i measure my car voltage

battery voltage : key voltage : ecu voltage. i get 13.8v : 13.4v : 13.3v

The voltage drop look normal due to fuse, relay, and connector. but i want make all to be maximum 0.1v drop only :) . if this week i am free, I'll pull one direct 6awg wires to the key.

Just like the GTR driver i know, his voltage drop between battery and Key was >1.5v, and after putting a direct cable most of his electrical problem was solved.. even ideal better.

I think this few things are good to do after the car age catch up.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Need some input from forummer's. I've lost my car keys, together with it was the STEERING LOCK keys as well. Lucky had spare keys for the car, however, can't seem to locate the spare for the STEERING LOCK. HELP!!! Not too sure what I can do in this situation.

Could I have a regular locksmith break open the lock? Any other way to dismantle the lock? Oh yeah, 4got to mention, this is the "baseball bat" type steering lock.

Hope someone out there can help me out. Thanks.

Cheers...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience