RB20E Single Cam has better Pick up than Twin Cam? True?

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
Im using A31 RB20E, im was thinking to do engine swaps, to RB20DET. But it's useless to drive Such a Fast car at my hometown , Sandakan, Sabah. Because the roads are not long enough and bumpy. SO usually cars over there would like to have better acceleration. And i was told that Single Cam has better acceleration than Twin Cams. Is this true?

Is there anything i can do to make the acceleration go higher, things like piping and other stuffs? need advices... And im driving Auto, which i will not do a manual engine swap... how can i make auto cars have faster reaction in High Reving the car? which means from Slow driving Gear 2 to high Rev Gear 1, Coz sometimes when i pull it down to gear 1, the engine still stays at Gear 2, and i will need to slower the speed and re-accelerate the car to high rev it (Gear1)...

Everyone's attention is much appreciated.. THanks! Would need a lot of advices. :cyclops:

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
SOHC = low end torque, suitable for daily drive
DOHC = mid/high end torque, suitable for top speed

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
Is there any sifu out there to tell me what to do with the "high reving" the car? The reaction is kinda slow... NEED HELP!!!

LevinTE27

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
first time i heard of the road is not long enough so it is not nessesory to swap engine hahaha
There is a drag track coming soon in sandakan right...

pick up doesnt mean low end torque, stock single cam car make more torque at lower end but it doesnt mean have more pick up power. it just for u to drive on street

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
wow.. are u from sandakan? Haiz.. so what is the solution leh? swap engine? swt...
still no solution la....

i straight forward a bit ler... how to make single N/A engine fast... any performance mod can do that? Thank you.. hahaz...

LevinTE27

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
nothing much u can do for a street engine to go fast, beside u willing to spend big money.
transplant is much cheaper. Go look for ah chin lo, i think he got lots of engine.( i not sure nissan got or not). His cousin is really good in built 4AG 20v n/a.

to cut down budget, u can go for head polishing and skimming. i dont think u need to port it cos ur cams doesnt feed enough air for high rev.
tats will help some, but not much

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
who is ah chin levinTE27?
but i seriously dont want to waste money on that car first... coz im studying overseas... LOL..
just wanna get prepared lar.... some $$.. hehe...

a31gtst

500 RPM
May 27, 2004
Dude,

The RB20E is quite an old engine, as it is aged through time, wear and tear..you wont be able to get the best peformance out of it. It would be more cost effective to just get a newer RB20DET engine and swap it in.

Also look into your drivetrain, the synthoms you are having are probably due to a worn gbox. It is important that you maintain the gearbox and differential fluids just the same as the engine oil. Go over to you trusty mechanic and get him to drain the gearbox fluid, drop the pan and wash it out with fresh oil. Also change the rear differential fluid. This would make a big difference. And dont forget that you lose alot more power in the auto gearbox, if you convert to a manual one you will get tremendously more low end and overall response.

That option is up to you to decide but tentatively just check all the fluids first.
If you are going to upgrade your exhaust, you may go ahead and increase the piping size and change the mufflers to sportier ones but dont forget if you are still going to be using the auto box then make sure the rear muffler is an 'S' flow and not straight flow muffler. This is because you need the back pressure for the autobox.

All the best

Cheers

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
a31gtst, thanks for ur advice. It's very useful..
So how much would it cost me to swap an engine into it? Buying a half cut is better or an engine kosong, but is other things such as ECU be compatible?

Around how much do i need to spend to swap a RB20Det halfcut into it plus labour works in semenanjung?
Thanks in advance.

a31gtst

500 RPM
May 27, 2004
Buying a halfcut is a better suggestion. You can use many parts and those that you dont you can sell off to offset your cost. The halfcut should be complete with the wiring harness, ecu, at least the front brakes, dash, console, gbox, etc etc.

I'm not sure abt the price and workmanship, a totally stock R32 halfcut over here would cost anywhere between RM2k to 3k..depending on condition and parts. You will have to source around for the best person who does RB conversions over there. Its actually a very simply transplant if you want to keep your auto box, very straight forward. If you would like to convert to manual then you can take whatever required parts form the halfcut such as the pedals, gbox, clutch, clutch damper, handbrake, etc. Then you will need to get the front section of the R32 longshaft or get a complete manual a31 longshaft set.

i would say get at least RM4 to 5k aside for this project. My advise is to get things done the right way from the begining and not suffer reliability issues later on by getting an engine kosong and doing bits here and there. I have gone both ways and from experience spending the extra cost to get everything perfectly in place is such a relief.

Cheers

derekz87

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks a31gtst for ur advice.
I think i better save some money to buy a halfcut then to modify the stock one..

So anyone wants to continue this thread go ahead..
I'll reply again with questions if i have them next time...
Anyway, thanks a31gtst again.