Proton exora bold turbo

blitz

Nov 18, 2003
i would like to invite all Exora Bold CFE Turbo owners to share or discuss their car problems here.....

my Exora CFE so far so good... been driving it daily to work. Good fuel economy with the CVT g/box, even better than my Waja, no problem overtaking other cars... sometimes overtake 2000cc cars... LOL... On weekends, my wife oso fight who gets to drive it... value for money and the build quality has improved a lot...

I also found some useful technical info from another forum....Pls read:

I have several question regarding CVT for exora bold(CVT3) and saga flx (CVT2):

1) I notice that exora bold still roll back on even slight /gradual slope(not-too-steep slope). Normal auto gear vehicle only will roll back when the slope is too steep, if it is not steep enough, it's will lock at there. Is there anyway to make CVT lock it when reach slight/gradual slope? It is kinda dangerous esp for new driver.
You are correct. This is a know "issue", but is a design feature actually. Two things contribute to this:
First thing is what we call idle neutral, unlike all regular older AT's that have a constantly dragging torque converter or clutch, we open our clutch (a wet clutch, more pressure = more drag, even more pressure closes it) almost completely when you are pressing the brake and standing still. this way fuel is saved. If you release the brake a little time is needed to apply pressure to our clutch again. that is when you roll back a little, rollback only occurs on hills steeper than 10%.
secondly the engine cannot deliver a lot of power idling, when aircon is on, heavy car, on a hill, we can start closing the clutch in order not to roll back, but that will cause the engine to stall. When you apply trottle you will notice first the clutch opens a little bit so engine revs up, than we start closing the clutch, during revving up, you can encounter rollback.

What to do? use handbrake in stead of brake, this way we not shift to neutral (we only read regular brake signal not handbrake), use enough trottle, this way the engine produces engough power to close the clutch in one move.

2) A lot bashes arguing CVT from proton will end up like honda city CVT, after few year, this cvt gb will fail and it's will cost a bomb for us to replace the CVT GB. Can you describe a bit on punch CVT and it's reliability issue?

We are looking into this, we do know income in malaysia is not like europe meaning people will choose repaired or reconditioned gearboxes above new ones. Possibility is that Punch will open a local brand to recondition gearboxes and sell at prices comparable to normal AT ones. As you know our gearboxes are tested till 250000km.

3) A lot people(those basher) condemning on rubberband effect for proton CVT compare to those conti CVT(multitronic and etc). Rubberband effect quite obvious for punch CVT.
Rubberband effect is from CVT's that existed 30 years ago, we use a steel belt so not applicable.

4) Overheat issue on CVT2. There is rumours saying that Saga FLX always break down due to CVT2 overheat. Is there any solution already?
We use a wet clutch, when you would move uphill at very low speeds it would slip almost constantly. We cool this clutch with CVT oil, this is pumped trough the clutch by our CVT pump, this pump is directly connected to the engine. So yes, when not driving as you should with a CVT (and you cannot know this as this is new) you can overheat it. Please compare to manual, if you would keep it on a hill only using the clutch you would burn it.

What to do? avoid long slipping clutches by applying enough throttle when moving uphill, the engine will produce enough power for us to close fast without long slipping period. Shift to N when you can, this will have a cooling effect on the CVT, if possible in N apply little throttle till lets say 1500rpm, this will rev up the pump and increase cooling.
these tips are only for extreme conditions! all other condition drive as you want!
Our CVT's are tested under extreme temperatures! Worst case scenario clutch will open, resulting in no drive as we measure temperature and in order not to break the CVT we will open clutch. You will have to wait a few moments, key on and off and there you go again, this is no breakdown!

5) [Tourist bro question] I sat in a Bold and notice when moving away from stationary (not very aggressive driving), there are lots of dull humming or booming noise coming from the dashboard or gear lever area. It goes away when car is up to speed. But I distantly remember sitting in another Bold before and don't recall hearing these noise in the other Bold. Are all Bold the same or some are simply quieter than the others?
It's different per Bold, it is dashboard assembly I am afraid. Primes seem to be even more sensitive than bold. Actually engine is loaded at that time and as RPM is low it will vibrate, as a result the dashboard will vibrate and that is what you hear. This should be an easy fix for a dealer in my opinion.

Questions related to Exora CFE:

1) You have mentioned that the clutch is almost completely open while standing still with D engaged, is this the prime reason of slight lagging when slowly pressing the gas to move?

yes, if you release the brake and immediately press the gas, this is the case. It is always better not to press the gas immediately unless you have to (uphill), you will notive less delay. That it isn't superagressive at launch (if you would mean this by lag) is calibration, it is to preserve both engine and CVT. it is called torque reduction, the engines power delivery is minimized, although full trottle.

2) Could you give some advices/tips in using CVT when going uphill (e.g. Genting Highland)? Also does it have engine-breaking effect when coming down?
yes it has an automatic engine braking, but only when trottle completly released. Even more engine braking can be applied by putting transmission in L mode. Also for uphill L mode comes in handy, lower ratio, more pulling power!Thanks.

Is there anyway to avoid CVT failure like honda city/jazz? Any special thing need to take care in order to longer the lifespan of punch CVT?
need your expertise how to take care on punch CVT GB.
Nothing really special, just drive and enjoy. If would have to say one thing it is to let it build up it's clutch pressure after releasing brake or putting in D before going on throttle, that will be better for clutch.

Need more specific info on the following:
1) Do we know when the cluth is fully open? is there an indication or behaviour that we can observe? i do not know what you mean, only open in N, almost open but small drag in D on brake, more drag (causing creep speed) in D off brake

2) as you said "when you would move uphill at very low speeds it would slip almost constantly", how slow is the slow (car speed and engine rev)? speeds under 10kph

3) The tips in the "what to do" is for extreme conditions. could you elaborate more on the conditions? Conditions where with manual car you would get in trouble, there is no real circumstances i can give you

4) When u said the CVT is tested under extreme temperature, how extreme is it? We do summer and wintertests, wintertests go up to -40degree, summer tests are extreme high temps and mountains.

5) If the car is in extreme condition, i believe the CVT oil might be degraded earlier than expected. Is there a way for us to check if the CVT oil is still at its functional condition to lub and cool the CVT? You cannot check but there is no need to. 60000km is fine as in service manual. (or 2 years)

I am currently driving a Honda City with CVT and it is working fine after 150k+ km. it has the idle neutral behaviour as you mentioned above. As we know, City CVT is not supplied by Punch. Thus, i want to make sure i drive like what Punch recommends in order to get the best out the CVT, yet with minimal wear and tear.

ok..i think i am getting clearer picture....
1) cluth fully open in N, minor drag when in D and accelerating, more drag when in D and brake applied (engine brake).
2) i think it is unlikely that we go uphill with the speed of <10kph

The CVT overheat issue, if i understand correctly from your replies, mainly touching on the cluth. In worst case, the cluth will open to avoid further damage. So, the CVT(belt, "gear") remains safe. Is that right?
Temperature build up in clutch is the problem, that is why it opens. Gears, belt, are not sensitive to these temperatures.

So, the cluth is a wear and tear stuff then? how frequent it needs to be replaced? It is designed to equal normal lifetime of a car.

Last edited:

jeffayn

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2004
Klang
How about rubbery smell from the engine compartment ?
I just got the car yesterday and drove it about 50km...
At the end of if, my wife smell rubber smell outside the car.. I open up the hood and realised.
1- Engine bay is damm hot
2- There is rubbery burning like smell from it
3- No fan running after engine off but there is hissing sound continue for roughly 2-3min then a click sound and it goes off

Others i am not too worry, but the burning smell... that I need to rectify before I continue some long distance on it...
Is that something to worry about or just a overlook ? :confused:

blitz

Nov 18, 2003
maybe u need to get it checked at SC on why the fan doesn't operate when switch off engine... I think your electric fan is not functioning. Normally the fan will run for about 1-1.5 minutes after engine is switched off to cool down the turbine... Thats why for Bold, no need to install turbo timers.... btw, cars with turbo is always hot under the hood...

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Just for the sake of sharing... I recently upgraded and installed a few items to my ride as below:

1. changed the abs to HWL adjustables. (Dramatically improves the handling...:)
2. UR front stabilizer bar, lower and rear anti-roll bar.
3. 2 way speakers with tweeters
4. mid bass speakers
5. Active 10" subwoofer (underseat) Now the bass sounds tight....
6. Touch screen DVD player
7. 7" HD Headrest monitors
8. K&N drop in filter.(Now the car can rev to 5.5k)

Last edited:

blitz

Nov 18, 2003
Bro, i'm interested in your HWL adjustable. Can you advise me the price and the detail??

Pls check your PM... Below is the adjustables I'm currently using... very satisfactory in terms of ride, handling and value for money....

Attachments

Last edited:

ozarudin

Jul 17, 2006
very nice mods you have done there..:top:
I am looking for a drop in filter for my CFE too..mind telling me what brand and where did you buy it from?
Thanks!

ibid99

500 RPM
Sep 21, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
maybe u need to get it checked at SC on why the fan doesn't operate when switch off engine... I think your electric fan is not functioning. Normally the fan will run for about 1-1.5 minutes after engine is switched off to cool down the turbine... Thats why for Bold, no need to install turbo timers.... btw, cars with turbo is always hot under the hood...

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Just for the sake of sharing... I recently upgraded and installed a few items to my ride as below:

1. changed the abs to HWL adjustables. (Dramatically improves the handling...:)
2. UR front stabilizer bar, lower and rear anti-roll bar.
3. 2 way speakers with tweeters
4. mid bass speakers
5. Active 10" subwoofer (underseat) Now the bass sounds tight....
6. Touch screen DVD player
7. 7" HD Headrest monitors
8. K&N drop in filter.(Now the car can rev to 5.5k)

bro may i know how much for the 2 ways speaker with tweeter and the 10" subwoofer underseat ?

tap

Jul 28, 2008
salam n good day... my bold cfe...so far very smooth..satisfied...but just to ask otai2...

1) when in idle position. .. i put in R position... sounds like woooooooooo coming from engine... dissapear when back to N... is it normal?
2) fan still running sometimes up to 3 or 5minutes... people said only goes 15seconds after engine stop...is it ok? just normal daily driving.

tq sir

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
blitz, the CVT gearbox on Exora is the same with FLX CVT??

tap

Jul 28, 2008
downhill position.. i need to reverse the car ... put in R... the car roll fowards...push brake n pedal vroooommlyyyy then car reverse as normal... haiyyaaa... is it normal?

blitz

Nov 18, 2003
very nice mods you have done there..:top:
I am looking for a drop in filter for my CFE too..mind telling me what brand and where did you buy it from?
Thanks!

The brand available for Exora is from "Redline".... At first i wanted a K&N but its not available at that time... dunno if they have it now....

Got it installed from Naga Motorsport, Kapar Klang....

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

bro may i know how much for the 2 ways speaker with tweeter and the 10" subwoofer underseat ?
10" active subwoofer plus installation = RM600
2 way speakers + tweeter = RM300++ if I'm not mistaken....

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

salam n good day... my bold cfe...so far very smooth..satisfied...but just to ask otai2...

1) when in idle position. .. i put in R position... sounds like woooooooooo coming from engine... dissapear when back to N... is it normal?
2) fan still running sometimes up to 3 or 5minutes... people said only goes 15seconds after engine stop...is it ok? just normal daily driving.

tq sir
1. go back to SC and get it checked... maybe needs some tuning..

2. thats normal for CFE turbo engine... the fan will run longer after some spirited driving....

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

blitz, the CVT gearbox on Exora is the same with FLX CVT??

The gbox system is the same... but I dont think FLX CVT gbox can fit into Exora....

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

downhill position.. i need to reverse the car ... put in R... the car roll fowards...push brake n pedal vroooommlyyyy then car reverse as normal... haiyyaaa... is it normal?
Yes, I'm afraid thats normal... trying to reverse on a steep downhil, u will need to apply the brakes first and then only engage into Reverse... when you feel there is a "bite" in the gearbox, then only you lift off the brakes and apply on the accellerator pedal....

You will need to get use to this as CVT gearbox uses a different system (belt) than the conventional auto gearbox (torque converter).... Thats why when the gear is still in D at traffic light, the gearbox doesnt vibrate like conventional gearbox.... Thats the beauty of CVT....

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

For those planning to do some mods to their Exoras... below is the budget as a guide:

1. HWL hilo adjustables. RM1750
2. UR front stabilizer bar, lower and rear anti-roll bar RM800-900
3. 2 units x 2 way speakers with tweeters RM250
4. 2 units x mid bass speakers RM250
5. Active 10" active subwoofer (underseat) RM600
6. Whole car soundproofing RM350
7. Touch screen DVD player RM500
8. 2 x 7" TFT HD Headrest monitors RM350
9. Redline drop in filter. RM300
10. Defi boost meter RM150
11. Pivot gold voltmeter RM120
12. BBS LM 18'' rims RM1700 + centre cone
13. 18" extra load tyres RM450/pc

samngcheesan

500 RPM
Jun 13, 2005
pj ss2
Recently my dad's bold radiator fan not running after shut the engine , what is the problem?

blitz

Nov 18, 2003
Recently my dad's bold radiator fan not running after shut the engine , what is the problem?

If a short trip and turbine not hot enough, the fan will not run... The fan will only run if the car is driven on a long trip or spirited driving....

Cheers.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
What's a 2012 Proton Bold 1.6 VVTi Turbo? You swap a 3ZZ-FE engine in and turbocharge it?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just reacently changed my Yrv turbine to Garret AR48, and there are powerloss because of insufficient fuel going to the engine. which is better, i was told that if i used fuel injectors i can tune it with my e-manage, and if i was to change fuel injector, what injector should i change to?

Fuel Regulator can make the fuel more rich to the engine? :confused:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience