Protected EAP - For wireless

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Hi everyone...

I need some help on this Protected EAP (PEAP) thing which is needed for me to go wireless.

Stated in the requirements for me to go wireless in my area:
OS which supports Protected EAP (PEAP)

I'm using a Window XP Home Edition.. and when i go to the properties of the Wireless Connection, under Authentication, there is no PEAP (at the EAP: slot). So, i assume that my OS does not have PEAP.

Is there any way that i can get/download this PEAP thingy? Or any other alternative that i can go wireless?

Please help...~ Thank you very much

~ IvY ~

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Erm...Download all the necessary patches and upgrades from the Microsoft webby (u can use the windows updater) and I think there's a upgrade or patch for wireless functions for XP.

Either that or upgrade to XP Pro?

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
never heard what's PEAP till today.

did abit of reading, and found that some wireless LAN utilities have support of PEAP. i think maybe find the utility or perhaps a driver that supports PEAP?

are you using a PCMCIA card as the wireless adapter? maybe it has no PEAP support...

what wireless service are you tryin to access if you dun mind me asking...

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your infos..

Fugz:
I'm using my uni's wireless service.. well, trying to anyway. My comp doesn't have this PEAP thingy but some other comps do. Some do and some do not... guess i'm one of the unlucky ones... :(

Izso:
I thought of d/loading it from the mircosoft support site... but there are so many things there like.. have to update to Pack 1 or something like that and etc.. i don't dare to try as i try updating my windows before.. d/load the updates and stuff.. and don't know what happened, my comp ROSAK teruk... *sob sob* :( Have to reformat my whole comp again...

~ IvY ~

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Ivy,

It is a must to update the OS to SP1 n some latest patches to avoid the infamous Blaster which plagued all Windows 2000 / XP versions.

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Ok... i tried d/loading the SP1a pack from Microsoft.. and half way thru, an error had occured. Something to do with some kernel thingy... :( Tried twice.. and the second time, the whole computer hanged.

Is there a cd on windows updates being sold? Ahem.. those piracted ones...

~ IvY ~

FuGZ

1,000 RPM
Apr 26, 2004
Random
Visit site
Originally posted by PoisonIvy@Aug 6 2004, 08:23 PM
Ok... i tried d/loading the SP1a pack from Microsoft.. and half way thru, an error had occured. Something to do with some kernel thingy... :( Tried twice.. and the second time, the whole computer hanged.

Is there a cd on windows updates being sold? Ahem.. those piracted ones...

~ IvY ~
here's another alternative, it's for "If you are using a browser other than Internet Explorer 5, Internet Explorer 5.5 or Internet Explorer 6 for this download, please select your language to download SP1a.

And..

Anti-virus software programs may interfere with the installation. Please disable anti-virus software while installing Windows XP SP1a.

Click here.

They do sell windows xp sp1a OS, don't think you'll find just the package...

Hope this helps.

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Ohh.. okok.. thanks a lot Fugz.. and also to everyone who adviced me here. I think i'll try looking for the CD instead of downloading it. I think it's too risky and a lil scary...~ :x

Thanks again... if you have any more comments.. do write ya..! Thanks..

~ IvY ~

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Yes, u can get a CD full of updates... called AutoPatcher XP.

You can download it (around 200MB++).

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Ohh... hmm.. okok... Actually, i think i prefer buying the CD instead. I don't want to risk downloading it... in case my download go wrong.. and i have to reformat my whole computer again... :( Phobia for me now.. hahahaha... :lol:

Well, i did learn a lot of things from this PEAP thing. Thank you all for helping me out. I hope it'll be ok though.

At first, i was so excited that we (the students of some uni) can go wireless... but, some comp have this PEAP thing and some don't.. and mine doesn't... so kinda sad also la.. :x

Thanks ya..!

~ IvY ~

Charles

I brake very late....
Jan 7, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Check with your school system admin and ask if he has really enable peap encryption on the wireless infrastructure.To my knowledge(i'm a wireless implementor for Proxim) for public wireless access usually runs no encryption.On private wifi networks we usually enable WEP IF the customer asks for it bcoz they would have a Radius server at the backend authenticating the ID's by now.So far we have never come across PEAP ......WEP yes...plenty...even around Low Yat area for private wifi networks.
If your wifi access from your college is only for internet, i doubt there'll be any encryption.Remember...any form of encryption eats into performance and users ALWAYS wants everything to be FAST FAST FAST...hehehehe.

PoisonIvy

Known Member
Jan 24, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Hi Charles...

Erm.. i'm not sure about these encryption thing. But, we did download a certificate (required) from our school's site. Then, when we started to configure out computers to create a 'kind of' login account, we have to change some stuff in the properties part at the wireless connection thingy.

Hahahaa.. i hope i'm making sense.. :P Anyway, at the properties, there's authentication in the menu... and when i selected there, there's a slot called EAP: There are only 2 choices (for me that is..) using a 'M-something' OR 'smart card or other certification in this computer'. As for my other friends, some of their computer has the other choice if 'Protected EAP'. That is the one we need to select to go on to the next step for configuration.

Like me, i don't have this PEAP... so, i can't go on to the next step.. i'm basically stuck there. I can trace signal... but i can't go online. Sorry.. i may sound dumb here :P but i don't know much about these things...

~ IvY ~

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Ivy,

Can u recall the OS used on those PC that can access the wireless network?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just...JUST 20 mins ago...my car side mirror got smashed in front of my house...they smashed my neighbour's merc too..steal his HU....
stolen my safc and TT....damn...
two malays on bike
and i now i know how it feels....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience